Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the Most Stupid Thing You Have Done?  (Read 1814 times)

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
Re: What is the Most Stupid Thing You Have Done?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »

The list is quite long if not pellet pit related. I often wonder why I'm still alive.  ::)

Starting my Jr. after a flame out and not inspecting first.

I just hit the start switch and 10 minutes later the entire block was filled with smoke. Ugly yellowish smoke.  :o

A couple neighbors were walking their dogs and asked if everything was ok. YEP!  ::) Good thing I was out at the time or they would have called the local fire dept.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 02:26:18 PM »

I was almost done smoking two pork butts one weekend when my mother-in-law, who lives with us, required immediate medical attention. I quickly threw some foil around the butts and tossed them into the prepared cooler and off we went to the hospital. I was thinking that SURELY the situation was not that serious and we'd be back in just a few hours. By the time my wife and I get home it's in the wee hours of the morning and of course the last thing I'm thinking about is pulled pork . . . so I totally space it. It didn't help that I had left the cooler out by the smoker, so it was out of sight - out of mind.

I know lots of us have had one of THOSE weeks, where you are taken completely out of your routine and you feel a little bit lost. By the time I got around to doing the dishes from the weekend it was Thursday already, and that's when I saw the long tongs on the counter and remembered the pork. I had just thrown the foil around those things and so there was old juice everywhere in the cooler. Needless to say I had to disinfect the cooler and throw away a few of my wife's towels which just made it worse.  :-[

MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Chashub

• Using less gas.
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »

More than once, I've forgotten to replace the drip bucket, resulting in a nice grease spot on the composite decking!

Finn

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 04:59:41 PM »

I should have taken a picture of the ribs that my son cooked while I was at work.  I gave him step by step instructions on how to do them. Turn Camp Chef to High Smoke (which is about 225), cook uncovered two hours, wrap them in thin foil and cook another two hours, unwrap and cook some more and put BBQ sauce on them.
Well, he did all that. And when I went to pick them up I noticed that the smoker was turned on High instead of High Smoke. So, he had been cooking them on 500 for 5 hours. They were totally black and hard as rock.
We still laugh about it, although it was not funny at the time. Ended up eating frozen pizza that night.

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 01:07:40 AM »

I should have taken a picture of the ribs that my son cooked while I was at work.  I gave him step by step instructions on how to do them. Turn Camp Chef to High Smoke (which is about 225), cook uncovered two hours, wrap them in thin foil and cook another two hours, unwrap and cook some more and put BBQ sauce on them.
Well, he did all that. And when I went to pick them up I noticed that the smoker was turned on High instead of High Smoke. So, he had been cooking them on 500 for 5 hours. They were totally black and hard as rock.
We still laugh about it, although it was not funny at the time. Ended up eating frozen pizza that night.

I never get tired of hearing about miscommunication foibles. I can imagine how un-funny it was in the moment.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 06:58:02 AM »

Good thread -- anymore stories to share.  I know Bentley has dozens.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2018, 09:32:22 AM »

If I add any more to this thread I may be banned from PF.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 03:27:33 PM »

Topic: What is the Most Stupid Thing You Have Done?

Had one of these...it was fully cocked, I was holding it, checking it for some reason, it released and hit me square in the face.  It was at that time, I knew I could take a punch!  I literally heard bells and saw stars floating around me!

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 03:29:23 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 03:50:43 PM »

Years ago when I lived in California I was hauling home a flat bottom I had just bought.
The trailer it came on was tandem axles and had no fenders at the time.
The motor was out of it and in the back of my pick-up.
The boat was pinned at the bow eye and had both tie downs on the stern, driving down Hwy 17 around Hayward when I watched my new boat pass me on the drivers side.
I failed to check the integrity of the nylon tie downs and with no motor in it apparently it danced around enough until it launched.
Hit the center divider and literally disintegrated, my insurance did cover it but the highway patrol was not even slightly amused, read me the riot act for not checking the tie downs.
Lesson learned that's for sure.

Canadian John

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2018, 03:59:21 PM »

Years ago when I lived in California I was hauling home a flat bottom I had just bought.
The trailer it came on was tandem axles and had no fenders at the time.
The motor was out of it and in the back of my pick-up.
The boat was pinned at the bow eye and had both tie downs on the stern, driving down Hwy 17 around Hayward when I watched my new boat pass me on the drivers side.
I failed to check the integrity of the nylon tie downs and with no motor in it apparently it danced around enough until it launched.
Hit the center divider and literally disintegrated, my insurance did cover it but the highway patrol was not even slightly amused, read me the riot act for not checking the tie downs.
Lesson learned that's for sure.
That belongs at or near the top of the list! Then, Bent's is close too.

Canadian John

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »

Topic: What is the Most Stupid Thing You Have Done?

Had one of these...it was fully cocked, I was holding it, checking it for some reason, it released and hit me square in the face.  It was at that time, I knew I could take a punch!  I literally heard bells and saw stars floating around me! I see the trap is set for doubles..that is, stars and bells, isn't it?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up