Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exterior Powder Coat Breakdown on the GS  (Read 774 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Exterior Powder Coat Breakdown on the GS
« on: January 13, 2018, 03:31:51 PM »

When recently changing my ignitor rod on the GS I noted some rust on the bottom of the grill body next to the cover plate for the hot rod. Not sure how it got that hot in that area since the object above is the square tunnel that holds the auger and hot rod before they enter the fire pot.  Perhaps due to faulty paint coating? Hot air leakage from the edge of the cover plate (bolts were not real snug at that corner)?  There is a thick heat proof fiber pad on the plate, so maybe it leaked through that?  Whatever!  Meanwhile, I made sure the plate was really snug when completing my task and plan to sand and spray with black rustoleum BBQ paint when the weather is warmer.  Just thought it was odd.   ???

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Exterior Powder Coat Breakdown on the GS
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »

When I had my Traeger and finding  the smallest rust spot imaginable, I was from that point on, continuously on the lookout for rust or scratches.. I had a few and treated them by sanding, cleaning and painting with Traegers very expensive and excellent paint.

I kept it waxed with a spray-on detailing wax. Very easy to apply and buff off. Surprisingly it kept its shine.

One of the small spots required a very careful grinding procedure with a die grinder to remove the small and slightly deep rust pit. It was a must do for me to keep the pit in top shape..I had it for a good 5 years and gave it to my daughter. It looked like a one

year old,well maintained pit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up