Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ash and soot  (Read 8760 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Ash and soot
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 10:23:26 PM »

Throw it away and start again!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Redapple

• Using less gas.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 10:38:05 PM »

is this one of the units with a multiple piece heat deflector
Yes the center shield and two baffles.
I’ll try giving GMG a call Tuesday after the holiday.

I don't have a GMG but from what I remember on PH site I think the baffle may not be set right and is causing the air flow issue creating the soot.  I wish someone who had a GMG could chime in to support this and provide a solution.

Very good point. I have a GMG DB, and I also have the same three piece Heat Baffle setup.

They came in two flavors, the original had multiple louvers on both the left and right wind deflectors.

Mine is the second iteration where there is one louver on each. For these, the left hand side (as you are facing the grill) the louver needs to be on the low side, and on the right side, the louver needs to be on the high side.

BTW, the left and right wind deflectors are optional.

See my picture below.

Bill
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:44:40 PM by Redapple »

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 11:15:20 PM »

IMHO I don't believe the baffles have anything to do with it. I've run my JB with & without them. In face I don't even have them anymore. Didn't make any difference. Mine is an older JB. I believe its a combustion problem. Good Luck!
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 11:22:39 PM »

IMHO I don't believe the baffles have anything to do with it. I've run my JB with & without them. In face I don't even have them anymore. Didn't make any difference. Mine is an older JB. I believe its a combustion problem. Good Luck!

What do you think could be causing the combustion problem?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Redapple

• Using less gas.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 01:51:26 AM »

What do you think could be causing the combustion problem?

Not too many things to rule out
Bad controller
Bad combustion fan
Bad hopper  fan
Air leak
Bad pellets
Something physically blocking airflow leading to incomplete combustion.
Too much ash in Firefox

My offer stands to swap out controllers, only takes 5 to 10 minutes

Bill
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:53:59 AM by Redapple »

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 04:57:51 AM »

On both of my DB's I don't use the deflectors and have never had a problem. I didn't quit using them as a result of the sooting but they warped and didn't fit worth a darn. Both grilles had the original style meaning 3 piece and multiple louvers.

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 07:12:44 AM »

Remove your chimney cap and seal the base of the burn pot with high temp sealer and remove the side shields then give it a test run... 

Observe the operation...   

Hopefully this helped.   

If not a call to GMG may be in order...

.. :bbq:
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »

I have the JB also, it was built in August if I remember the stamp correctly.  My diffuser is a one piece box.  I don't have near as many cooking hours on mine as you folks do, but I have not had an issue with ash or soot.  There is a small amount that seems to collect near the upper left lid hinge, but nothing on the food.
Everything I have read says that GMG is great at support, I hope they are able to sort you out.

ICIdaho

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »

I had an air leak where the burn pot connects to the body.  You could see the spike in the ash in the barrel of the pit.  I sealed that with the high heat silicon.  Unfortunately, I also replaced the controller to the wifi controller that had a higher firmware version and replaced the heat shield to the new one piece stainless one at the same time.  I do not know what fixed it since I did it all at once, but it did stop. 

I would start with the easy cheap fixes first and then move to the controller last.  Both fans need to run and never stop, even when it is pulsing, they should only slow and not stop.  Check for air leaks and seal around where the burn pot attaches.  The pellet hopper lid can be checked also by putting tin foil over the top with the lid open, then close the lid on it.  If that works, the lid is too loose.

4given

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 12:14:29 PM »

I have had my GMG DB for 4 or 5 years now. I started getting a lot of soot every cook a couple of months ago. . I replaced the combustion fan assembly gasket and that solved the problem. The original gasket was burnt to a crisp. I used Hi-temp silicone with the new gasket. Works like a champ now!  :cool:

Check and see if they forgot your gasket at the factory. If it is there and in good shape, re install it with hi-temp silicone.
John 3:16-18  GMG Daniel Boone, GMG Davy Crockett
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up