Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jan 2018
  • Anyone have a jerky gun or jerky cannon that they use for making jerky strips from ground meat?  If so, which one have you used, would you recommend it, and any pros/cons?  I am thinking of getting one to get consistency on jerky size for my dehydrator.  I could then make some ground turkey, ground chicken, ground pork, ground beef jerky which may be less expensive than the meats I have been using.
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 14 Jan 2018
  • I have one from cabelas, works great, I bought a new tip from lem as I didn't like the 3/4" strips the tips that came with it made. The Lem looks like the same thing, but comes with the wider tip. I think mine will hold 1-2 pound of meat. They come with a horn that you can make sticks with also. I will pipe them on to Qmatz and smoke or dry in the dehydrator at 160.

Grab yourself some Cure 1 when you buy, 1 level teaspoon mixed in water 6-8 oz to 5 pound of ground meat.

I have some ground beef in now with cure and about 3T of the brisket rub I make up and 1T of kosher salt.
  • #3 by Bentley on 14 Jan 2018
  • Larry loved his LEM stuff!

LEM Jerky Cannon
  • #4 by Quadman750 on 14 Jan 2018
  • Larry loved his LEM stuff!

LEM Jerky Cannon

X2
    I have a Cheap Nesco brand but I would love a LEM.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jan 2018
  • I was looking at the LEM and the Cabela's.  Cabela's lifetime warranties their products.  However, I have some money on my Amazon account so it will probably be the LEM I get then.  Cabela's has an electric one.
  • #6 by Darwin on 14 Jan 2018
  • The sausage making community speak highly of the Lem products they use.  Their sales seem to be only during the winter holidays.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jan 2018
  • The sausage making community speak highly of the Lem products they use.  Their sales seem to be only during the winter holidays.

I see they sell a tube for the jerky cannon to use for sausage.
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 14 Jan 2018
  • if you have enough on the account grab a spare tube or two, it is great to just have the messy hands once instead of having to refill the same tube.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jan 2018
  • if you have enough on the account grab a spare tube or two, it is great to just have the messy hands once instead of having to refill the same tube.

I saw that on the LEM site.  Great idea.  Have you ever made snack sticks with your LEM gun?
  • #10 by Darwin on 14 Jan 2018

I see they sell a tube for the jerky cannon to use for sausage.
    I had not seen that before.  Might be fun for occasional use, small batches or recipe testing.   ;)
  • #11 by Bentley on 14 Jan 2018
  • So do they make a mix that you just add to the beef and Viola, you have Slim Jims...?  Does anyone remember the ones before Slim Jims, they had like creases all around them and they came in the big clear plastic tubes at the counter, flavors like Pepperoini....or was that just a wonderful dream I had one night?
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jan 2018
  • Yes, they make mixes to add to the meat, and extrude into snack sticks with or without using casings.
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 14 Jan 2018

I saw that on the LEM site.  Great idea.  Have you ever made snack sticks with your LEM gun?

I have a cabelas one with extra tubes, yes I have done uncased sticks with mine and done in the smoker or dehydrator. I also bought a small nesco gun for filling poppers with sausage.
  • #14 by BigDave83 on 14 Jan 2018
  • So do they make a mix that you just add to the beef and Viola, you have Slim Jims...?  Does anyone remember the ones before Slim Jims, they had like creases all around them and they came in the big clear plastic tubes at the counter, flavors like Pepperoini....or was that just a wonderful dream I had one night?

they still make them, but I have not seen any of the 3 footers for a while now, the container had a bug red lid on it, and the sticks are almost creamy in the center.
  • #15 by Mudflap on 15 Jan 2018

I have a cabelas one with extra tubes, yes I have done uncased sticks with mine and done in the smoker or dehydrator. I also bought a small nesco gun for filling poppers with sausage.

+1
Pages:
Actions