Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Goosehunter51 on 15 Jan 2018
  • Does anyone own one of these and if so what are your thoughts?
  • #2 by triplebq on 15 Jan 2018
  • I don't but they are huge on the KCBS circuit in NC and SC. Everyone I talk with loves them.
  • #3 by Free Mr. Tony on 16 Jan 2018
  • I don't but they are huge on the KCBS circuit in NC and SC. Everyone I talk with loves them.

Are you thinking uds like Gateway or Hunsaker? Not saying your wrong because you're there and I'm not, but I would think the actual pit barrel brand cookers would be a little less controllable than most kcbs teams would like.

To the original question, for 300 dollars the PBC would be a good option.  I prefer the size and control of a 55 gallon drum like the aforementioned gateway or hunsaker.
  • #4 by triplebq on 16 Jan 2018
  • I know a couple of cookers who have Pit Barrel brand cookers. But I see a ton of drum/barrel cookers on the KCBS circuit. I don't know all the brands.
  • #5 by Free Mr. Tony on 16 Jan 2018
  • Thanks for the info. Good to know what's out there on the circuit just to keep up with the newest trends.
  • #6 by Fat Freddy on 16 Jan 2018
  • PBC is one of the several kinds of pits I have. For comps my go to is GMGs and a 22 inch WSM. And at home and caterings i prefer the GMGs, however as a conversation piece the PBC always causes discussions and that is a good thing at times. Also the hanging meat is just a different way of cooking and it is nice to change things up once in a while, but for comps I wouldnt use it because hard to control temps for my timelines.
  • #7 by pmillen on 16 Jan 2018
  • I have a Pit Barrel Cooker.  I should qualify what I say about taste by telling you that Marcia and I like charcoal smoke flavor.  We prefer our steaks, burgers and such grilled over charcoal so it’s not surprising that, in many cases, we prefer food cooked (smoked) on our PBC.  It’s probably not really a smoker.  Nor is it a grill.  It’s somewhat unclassifiable.

It makes the best fowl; chicken, turkey, Cornish…  The rendered grease from whatever you cook drips onto the coals below and comes back up as a greasy fog.  It’s a different flavor profile that we think is quite good.

The manufacturer’s recommended charcoal starting procedure is to flood the charcoal with lighter fluid and let it burn for 15 minutes or so before starting the cook.  A lot of people object to this method and light it in other ways.  I don’t notice a lighter fluid taste if I wait for the petroleum to burn off.

I didn’t like the primitive temperature control.  You are supposed to adjust the incoming air flow to limit or increase the charcoal fire intensity.  I had a difficult time hitting my target temperatures.  I don’t think temperature variations are all that important vis-à-vis the quality of the final product, but it has a great influence as to when it will be ready. 

I installed a Rock’s Stoker to control the temperatures (cooking times) so I know when the side dishes should finish and everything can be ready to eat at the same time.

Before you buy one look at the BarrelHouse Vertical Cooker.  It’s stainless steel under the porcelain.  I think it might be a better product in other ways, but slightly smaller.  GrillBeast has some good videos.
  • #8 by Jcorwin818 on 16 Jan 2018
  • I see a lot more of the UDS’s at competitions and talking to the cookers most have gone to them because of the fast cooking of the units.  You see teams now putting on their briskets and butts at 7 AM instead of midnight. 
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 16 Jan 2018
  • Bent has made a couple.  The last one he made he painted like a copper top battery.  Maybe he still has a photo and will share.
  • #10 by Bentley on 16 Jan 2018
  • I made one in 1991...but did not have a digital camera then.  This is the 2nd one I made...

And this was the last one I made,

• #11 by Phrett on 16 Jan 2018
  • I made onr for myself and also attached the Rocks Stoker for trmp control.  I've  made several for friends with just the ball valve and 2 other 3/4" holes for air intake.  They cook really well and keep very steady temps.  There is a barrel mfg plant a few miles down the road and I was able to get new, unlined 55 gal drums for $65.  The fire baskets were a pain to make.
  • #12 by Goosehunter51 on 16 Jan 2018
  • I have a Pit Barrel Cooker.  I should qualify what I say about taste by telling you that Marcia and I like charcoal smoke flavor.  We prefer our steaks, burgers and such grilled over charcoal so it’s not surprising that, in many cases, we prefer food cooked (smoked) on our PBC.  It’s probably not really a smoker.  Nor is it a grill.  It’s somewhat unclassifiable.

It makes the best fowl; chicken, turkey, Cornish…  The rendered grease from whatever you cook drips onto the coals below and comes back up as a greasy fog.  It’s a different flavor profile that we think is quite good.

The manufacturer’s recommended charcoal starting procedure is to flood the charcoal with lighter fluid and let it burn for 15 minutes or so before starting the cook.  A lot of people object to this method and light it in other ways.  I don’t notice a lighter fluid taste if I wait for the petroleum to burn off.

I didn’t like the primitive temperature control.  You are supposed to adjust the incoming air flow to limit or increase the charcoal fire intensity.  I had a difficult time hitting my target temperatures.  I don’t think temperature variations are all that important vis-à-vis the quality of the final product, but it has a great influence as to when it will be ready. 

I installed a Rock’s Stoker to control the temperatures (cooking times) so I know when the side dishes should finish and everything can be ready to eat at the same time.

Before you buy one look at the BarrelHouse Vertical Cooker.  It’s stainless steel under the porcelain.  I think it might be a better product in other ways, but slightly smaller.  GrillBeast has some good videos.

Thank you, typically I am the most indecisive buyer when it comes to purchases like this.  Took me 6 months to settle on my MAK.  I just went for it and ordered the BarrelHouse Vertical Cooker.  They are made in Bakersfield and that is where I live.  Will have it tomorrow.  Thanks for all the comments.
  • #13 by Goosehunter51 on 16 Jan 2018
  • Bentley, you have skills.  Very nice build. 
  • #14 by pmillen on 17 Jan 2019
  • I referenced my Rock's Stoker in this thread.  I just discovered that it's no longer offered.  The web site notice indicates that they will support existing customers (apparently with fans, probes and such) but will not offer new stokers (controllers).
  • #15 by Th3Batman86 on 17 Jan 2019
  • I have one, I love it. It is my preferred way to cook a lot of ribs (8 racks). I have also done chicken, turkey, pulled pork, and prime rib on it. I have had it about 4 years now. Feel free to ask me any specific questions. I love the thing and have no negatives about it.
Pages:
Actions