Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLX temp reading  (Read 3002 times)

Eherber

DLX temp reading
« on: January 03, 2018, 05:12:24 PM »

Hey all.  I got my DLX a while back, literally by accident.  Regardless, I had to replace the control board.  Once I did that I was back in action.  I've been smoking here and there and things seem to turn out well.  Have had a few cooks go a little to far - but nothing terrible.  I ended up getting one of those little oven thermometers that can set right on the rack to verify temp.  Made a Prime rib between Christmas and New Years, it turned out great but... That little thermometer was reading 260-270 while the digital read out on the controls were set, and reading 225.  Tested that thermometer out in the house last night and it was right on the button with what the oven said. 

Anyone have this issue, and a solution to go with it?  Do you assume I should replace the probe? 

TIA

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: DLX temp reading
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 05:22:36 PM »

They are rarely exact match unless you have a pleasant temp outside and even then they are off unless you have a higher end grill IMO.  Of the 4 smokers I have only the Memphis stays really close from grate temp to controller temp using a Thermoworks product on the grate.

Nothing to worry about as long as you know your grate temp.  In fact, my Blazn has a controller that has a broken LED.  I just put a grate probe in it and adjust the controller knob until it gets to the temp I want on the grate probe.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Saddleman

• Using less gas.
  • Vini,Vidi,Vici
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 02:00:20 PM »

I have an older camp chef DLX, I smoke quite a bit with it and I have found that there is about a 10 to 15° difference from the readout and the grill temperature. I use iGrill temperature gauge it has 4 probes I have set around my grill surface right back side is hotter by 10’.  I also have found that if I take and clean the camp chef probe I get a better reading.  It will bring it in to about 5° difference. I hope this helps keep smoking, Dan
If you’re looking it’s not cooking.

Eherber

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »

I have an older camp chef DLX, I smoke quite a bit with it and I have found that there is about a 10 to 15° difference from the readout and the grill temperature. I use iGrill temperature gauge it has 4 probes I have set around my grill surface right back side is hotter by 10’.  I also have found that if I take and clean the camp chef probe I get a better reading.  It will bring it in to about 5° difference. I hope this helps keep smoking, Dan

What do you use to clean the probe?

Thanks for the info guys. 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 07:10:45 PM »

What do you use to clean the probe?

Thanks for the info guys.

I use some clorox type wipes that have a rough side to them that seems to help scrub the creosote off of the probe.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Eherber

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 03:37:34 PM »

I will give all these options a try.  I did another test over the last weekend.  Seems as if I am running on average a 40 degree difference.  Seems a little crazy.  I could just look into replacing the probe too.  At least, for the most part, my cooks have come out good.  Thankful for a probe in the product itself. 

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:36:07 AM »

To read the same as the RTD (digital readout) , the monitoring thermometer must be located very close to it. The RTD sensing location is at the end opposite the wire.

Then there is the question of where on the cooking grate was your oven thermometer? Almost all pits have temperature variances across the cooking surfaces..A good way to check is the biscuit test. It can be done with slices of bread (white).

The closer to the heat source, the hotter the fire..That translates to the grate temperatures being hotter than the RTD, that is located higher up.

Americas Test Kitchen did a test of several mechanical oven thermometers a few years back and found only two to be accurate..I would trust something like a Thermoworks "Dot" to be quicker and more accurate than any mechanical device..The digital

thermometers accuracy can be tested in boiling water.  Hope this helps.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:41:37 AM »

Good advice.  I have 3 or 4 Dots that I use to monitor grate temps on different grills.  They are a pretty affordable tool.

Eherber

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »

This is what I got for Christmas a year ago, and so far so good!  It's been really good.

http://a.co/dgPuGNe

This is my grate one, and I actually think I got this from the original pelletheads site,

http://a.co/9yM0qUI

I like the test with bread.  I didn't move the grate thermometer around in my oven much - but I did move it all around the smoker and let it set for 10-15 mins every move.  The concept of the placement of the internal probe placement is valid - I just wish it was slightly more accurate... Not the end of the world.  I guess I just like specifics so I know what I'm dealing with. 

**I should add that moving it around the smoker grate the temp held pretty true.  So, as far as hot spots in the smoker, it seems pretty even.  I may still try the bread test just because it seems fun  :rotf:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:02:25 AM by Eherber »

Eherber

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:58 PM »

Quick question considering all this and my variant in temp.  I am going to make a pork butt for the first time this weekend.  Probably will do a real basic recipe since it is my first time doing one.  Regardless, considering my temp issues, setting it will be difficult.  I can just set it at the 225 and let it roll - knowing it will be closer to 300 the whole time.  Should I just rely on the meat probe?  Is it really going to get messed up if it cooks faster?  Everything seems to say pull at 160-ish and wrap - then wait till it gets to about 200. I guess if I stick to that theory - hopefully it'll work out. 

Thanks again for all the info. 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 10:22:54 PM »

Go with wrap at 160 and finish around 200 when you poke it with a thermometer probe and it feels like butter.  And, quit being so afraid of the difference in temp.  If you have good thermometer tools and know your pit, it isn't an issue.  And if you are that concerned that your pit may run at 300 while set at 225, turn down your pit to a temp you think will get you to your grate level temp.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 10:55:47 AM »

If the pit has a constant 300º temperature across the grate, concider your cook to be a" turbo cook". The result will be less cooking time and just as good (by me) end result; good bark, well rendered and juicy..As there will be a  LOT of fat rendering, make

sure the pit is well cleaned and the drainage system clear. Some of use a drip pan with a rack that eliminates the gunky pit and possible flare-up/fire problems.

I never wrap. Just cook it with a thermometer to constantly monitor internal temps..It should "stall" approaching 160º..When stalling, the temp lingers at that point and may even fall until it starts to rise.Sometimes there is no stall.  You should be taking   

notes as you go.

When it is done, measure the internal temp at several locations to make sure..This will be around 195º to about 205º. The" probe like butter" is the ultimate test. Temperature is a guide. Wrap and let it rest  for an hour-Minimum,then pull..If you cooked

using  a pan, the captured juices can be added to the pulled.

The bottom line:it takes TIME ! If you finish early just leave the meat wrapped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up