Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by silverbullet on 23 May 2018
  • I've been a pelletfan for 10 years now. Every other pit I've owned has had the grease pail on the outside of the pit. Never had a fire in any of them when doing an burnoff after the a cook.
    Just when you've thought you've seen it all,

Enter the LG800 I've done a half dozen of pork butts on one cook & a 15 Lb brisket. Both times afterward I did a burnoff that resulted in a grease fire. That also toasted my Temp probe which Louisiana replaced with no charge.

Moral of the story is.......Since the grease drawer is inside the grill be sure ALL THE GREASE is removed from the grease drawer! Before you do a burn off!

Even though Louisiana sent me fool proof directions on how to change out the probe, The first one was a pain to replace. Second one was a breeze. Sometimes I can be a slow learner. :-[
  • #2 by mrk on 24 May 2018
  • Ugh.  That all sounds
    like a nightmare. Do you line the grease drawer with foil to help in cleanup?
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 May 2018
  • SImilar to the Memphis.  I know from several experiences.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 24 May 2018

•  Grease build-up can become dangerous in any pit.  It is best not to learn the hard way.  That is a good reminder silverbullet.
  • #5 by silverbullet on 24 May 2018
  • Ugh.  That all sounds
    like a nightmare. Do you line the grease drawer with foil to help in cleanup?

No, I go to the Dollar Tree & buy disposable aluminum pans.
  • #6 by Bentley on 24 May 2018
  • As many as I have had over the last 8 years in the Memphis Pro, and they have never been an issue, at least from a hardware/component standpoint!  I am sure the engineers at Hearthland would say you weaken the metal every time it happens!

• #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 May 2018
  • I would think the gasket goes before the metal, but I am not an engineer or scientist.  I wish I had your calmness around a fire like that.
  • #8 by TravlinMan on 24 May 2018

• Bentley - Been there - done that..

Am trying not to repeat that - but sometimes 'stuff' happens..... Then a good scraping down and cleaning afterword..

:bbq:
  • #9 by ScottE on 25 May 2018
  • Same sort of thing happened twice in my CS-450, and it will take the thermocouple with it every time - you are lucky they at least replaced yours free, I've paid the penance twice now, hopefully I've learned finally now! ;-)
Pages:
Actions