Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Vertical Pellet Smoker by Pitboss  (Read 16820 times)

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
Re: Vertical Pellet Smoker by Pitboss
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »

2 minute product review from pitboss

They lost me with that controller. I would rather have a PID controller and why does it have to be on the ground? The controller should be up higher so you don't have to bend down to use it.

Now that I have a wifi enabled PID, the thought of anything else just seems caveman.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:04:06 PM by Bentley »
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »

2 minute product review from pitboss

They lost me with that controller. I would rather have a PID controller and why does it have to be on the ground? The controller should be up higher so you don't have to bend down to use it.

Now that I have a wifi enabled PID, the thought of anything else just seems caveman.
It's a smoker in the 400-700 dollar range with huge capacity.  I would use it for a dedicated jerky maker and rib smoker.

While the controls on the top would be better my guess is it has to do with heat rising.

I have a smoker with wifi capability and couldn't imagine cooking without one but it isn't at this price, capacity, pellet capacity and dual wall insulation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:04:18 PM by Bentley »

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »

Would be nice to know how accessible the guts are:  i.e. auger tube, hot rod (is it ceramic). How are pellets delivered to the fire pot.  Chances for auger tube fire? (No one talks much about the actual components themselves like auger motor, fan etc. If you look at those things in a Blaz'n compared to a Traeger or others, there is a world of difference.)  Is it a direct feed fire pot or indirect.  etc.  That's what it would be nice to know before buying.   ???

wilpark

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 11:29:51 AM »

Would be nice to know how accessible the guts are:  i.e. auger tube, hot rod (is it ceramic). How are pellets delivered to the fire pot.  Chances for auger tube fire? (No one talks much about the actual components themselves like auger motor, fan etc. If you look at those things in a Blaz'n compared to a Traeger or others, there is a world of difference.)  Is it a direct feed fire pot or indirect.  etc.  That's what it would be nice to know before buying.   ???
I'm pretty sure the guts are about as basic as you can get for the price range.  But since the pitboss parent company is LG they don't want to field customer service calls all day I'm betting they are reasonably reliable.

I love the footprint/capacity to price ratio.  Not sure if I'm better off adding a pellet pro auger assembly to an insulated vertical file cabinet.  LOL.

okie smokie

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 01:49:34 PM »

I'm pretty sure the guts are about as basic as you can get for the price range.  But since the pitboss parent company is LG they don't want to field customer service calls all day I'm betting they are reasonably reliable.

I love the footprint/capacity to price ratio.  Not sure if I'm better off adding a pellet pro auger assembly to an insulated vertical file cabinet.  LOL.

The hopper is in the back so I imagine the auger feed is rather short.  Auger fire could easily turn into hopper fire.  That is why I want a look at the mechanics. Will try to look up the owners manual.

wilpark

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 01:55:17 PM »

The hopper is in the back so I imagine the auger feed is rather short.  Auger fire could easily turn into hopper fire.  That is why I want a look at the mechanics. Will try to look up the owners manual.
From what I saw of a demo the pellets drop into a pretty deep firepot but if it's not cleaned out the ash can pile up and can be a potential fire hazard.

okie smokie

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 02:16:00 PM »

Just went thru the manual for the Walmart Copper Top version (which looks like the best deal) of the Pit Boss Vertical Pellet.   Very standard arrangement, with hot rod below and auger tube above it and both empty directly into the fire pot. Can't tell how long the auger tube is because the manual only shows drawings, but suspect it is rather short.  Something to really check out in the testing.  The motor and fan are about on par with Traeger, or similar. Can't be sure about that either for now.  Will try to get a look at one when they appear at the super Walmart. 

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 09:20:27 PM »

I'm a little confused, the PitBoss web page says the Copper Top is only available at Walmart but when you go to Walmart.com......the only one listed is the small 2.2 cf electric smoker.   The PB web page does make it look rather intriguing but where can you get it?  Store only?   
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

Just David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 11:03:24 PM »

Not sure if I'm better off adding a pellet pro auger assembly to an insulated vertical file cabinet.  LOL.

That's part of the reason I took a chance on the Masterbuilt pellet smoker. I always had in the back of my mind that I would put a pellet pro auger assembly unit in it. Unfortunately there is no way you could do that with this pit boss.
Masterbuilt XL pellet smoker, Traeger tailgater

wilpark

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 11:08:09 PM »

The pellet grill is called the copperhead

Here is link to Wal-Mart

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:06:00 PM by Bentley »

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 11:24:41 PM »

Well no wonder I couldn't find it.   I was looking for Pit Boss.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

wilpark

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 11:33:10 PM »

Well no wonder I couldn't find it.   I was looking for Pit Boss.
Sorry its the Copperhead by Pitboss. Not coppertop by pitboss

okie smokie

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 08:58:10 AM »

Anyway, looks like the best bang for the buck if it works well.

Just David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 02:18:13 PM »

There is also this one on Cabela's website that they will apparently carry at some point. Since this is a 7 series and the WalMart one is series 5, I would guess the Cabelas one is the larger size:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:06:40 PM by Bentley »
Masterbuilt XL pellet smoker, Traeger tailgater

kingrude1

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »

Was checking out the new vertical pellet smoker for more information and saw this for the first time: https://pitboss-grills.com/products/?product=austin-xl
a nice sized, good looking unit for a good price, and sold out of Walmart. Really looks like they are expaning the Pit Boss line up with very good looking units at very good price points.
Pellet Pro, Blazn Gridiron, Louisiana Superhog, GMG Davy Crockett
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up