Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Vertical Pellet Smoker by Pitboss  (Read 16821 times)

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Vertical Pellet Smoker by Pitboss
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 08:51:25 AM »

Its a vertical smoker it dlesnt take up that much room.

Perhaps we can have pitboss send it to Pelletfan and someone can do a test.

What I like about it is the price, dual wall, capacity and small footprint to capacity.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 10:14:50 AM »

Given the interest in this new smoker, I wrote to our contact at Dansons/Pit Boss and asked if they would be interested in sending one of these smokers for a performance test.  I will keep folks apprised if I hear back.

wilpark

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 10:59:36 AM »

Given the interest in this new smoker, I wrote to our contact at Dansons/Pit Boss and asked if they would be interested in sending one of these smokers for a performance test.  I will keep folks apprised if I hear back.
Awesome.  Thank you

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »

Was at Walmart this morning and saw this unit. Very nice and hopefully it sells. The more people that get into pellet cooking the better.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

donfromaha

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2018, 11:24:05 AM »

I just purchased the Copperhead Pit Boss Vertical Smoker from Menards. The setup and burn in was pretty easy and straight forward. I did my first cook this weekend. This is my first time with any pellet fueled grill. I come from a stick burner and electric smoker background. It held the temperature pretty stable +or- 15 degrees. It was chilly 35 degrees and 25 mph winds. Will be curious how it performs on a calm day, I suspect the temperature will be steadier. I smoked a 8lb turkey breast at 225 and it took 8 hours. It used about 15lbs of pellets (I have no idea whether that is a excessive or frugal since I have never used pellets before). The skin had a dark patina and very moist pink meat. Overall, I am very happy with the performance and the purchase. The unit is so new that there are no accessories available like extra probes or cover. I called Pit Boss and was told they expect the accessories to be available at the beginning of March and that Wal-Mart would have them before anyone.

wilpark

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2018, 11:38:35 AM »

I just purchased the Copperhead Pit Boss Vertical Smoker from Menards. The setup and burn in was pretty easy and straight forward. I did my first cook this weekend. This is my first time with any pellet fueled grill. I come from a stick burner and electric smoker background. It held the temperature pretty stable +or- 15 degrees. It was chilly 35 degrees and 25 mph winds. Will be curious how it performs on a calm day, I suspect the temperature will be steadier. I smoked a 8lb turkey breast at 225 and it took 8 hours. It used about 15lbs of pellets (I have no idea whether that is a excessive or frugal since I have never used pellets before). The skin had a dark patina and very moist pink meat. Overall, I am very happy with the performance and the purchase. The unit is so new that there are no accessories available like extra probes or cover. I called Pit Boss and was told they expect the accessories to be available at the beginning of March and that Wal-Mart would have them before anyone.
15 lbs for 8 hrs for an insulated pellet grill seems a bit high but you did have winds that were blowing and may be the culprit. Anything close to 1lb per hours is doing really well.

Thanks so much for a user review.

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2018, 12:33:27 PM »

I watched their videos also.  I also mentioned getting one to Bentley for testing.  He said he will be looking into that at some time. Hard to beat for $399.  1500 sq inches, pellet smoker, oven,  small profile, 50 lb pellet hopper.  Only negative for me is that there are only 2 of us, and occasionally, the family of 11.  However, you could do simultaneous cooking of meat, veggies, bread.  Very nice. 
In the meantime I am getting my Barrel House vertical smoker tomorrow.  Can't wait. :cool:
After some thought, I can do all the smoking I want on the GS, but also grill steaks and chops, burgers etc.  No real grilling is suggested on the vertical  PitBoss.  (max temp 450).  So owning one suggests that you will still need another form of grill for hot searing cooks. 

ScottE

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2018, 05:26:17 PM »

For anyone who's got this smoker, how's the smoke output? I have a CS450 (similar to LG700) and have been pretty disappointed in the controller and very little smoke. It's great for grilling, but not nearly as nice as my Traeger for smoking. It looks like the Copperhead uses a simple controller, which I actually think is a good thing if it's not PID - I'm off the opinion that smoke production and stable temps are mutually exclusive.
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »

For anyone who's got this smoker, how's the smoke output? I have a CS450 (similar to LG700) and have been pretty disappointed in the controller and very little smoke. It's great for grilling, but not nearly as nice as my Traeger for smoking. It looks like the Copperhead uses a simple controller, which I actually think is a good thing if it's not PID - I'm off the opinion that smoke production and stable temps are mutually exclusive.

There is a 26 page product review on the Copperhead 5.5 that just finished up today after over a week of functional use and documentation.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »

There is a 26 page product review on the Copperhead 5.5 that just finished up today after over a week of functional use and documentation.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2242.0

Quick link

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »

A-/B+ give or take temperature setting!

If you stay in the center of all racks, -+10°.

For anyone who's got this smoker, how's the smoke output?
I'm off the opinion that smoke production and stable temps are mutually exclusive.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2018, 09:54:40 AM »

When members post their smoking results could you please post what shelf or shelves you used.

This is going to be a huge learning curve with so many shelf options.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

ScottE

« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2018, 10:40:45 PM »

Thanks Bentley. And yes, I certainly do know about the (now) 27 page posting - buried in the middle somewhere I did find some information around this. To be fair, there's so much discussion in that post it's hard to weed the information out. Regardless, my question here isn't out of line - different people have different results, and I'm not going to rush out and buy it just because of one person's results, even if it is Bentley. :-)

So hopefully anyone else with this smoker can provide their feedback too. Looks like a great unit for the price, but I'm a bit guarded after being only moderately satisfied with my CS450. Thanks!
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2018, 12:18:44 PM »

I joined the Pit Boss Pellet Grill/Smoker Owner's facebook group and there are a lot of new owners of the the 5.5 and 7.0 copperhead smokers.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2018, 08:28:57 AM »

I have my smoker and I plan on doing something simple today.  I was surprised on how the start procedure has you do the start up on smoke and then bump up the temperature to 350 and then bring the temperature back down for what temperature I want.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up