Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Apr 2018
  • I have my smoker and I plan on doing something simple today.  I was surprised on how the start procedure has you do the start up on smoke and then bump up the temperature to 350 and then bring the temperature back down for what temperature I want.

How did your cook go?
  • #62 by reubenray on 22 Apr 2018
  • I have my smoker and I plan on doing something simple today.  I was surprised on how the start procedure has you do the start up on smoke and then bump up the temperature to 350 and then bring the temperature back down for what temperature I want.

How did your cook go?

It went OK.  I put two oven temperature monitors on the shelves and they stayed pretty close to what was on the control board.  All I did was to smoke some meatballs for a get-together. 

I am only going to be home for a few days before I leave again in our RV.  Once I get back about the middle of May I will do more extensive smoking.
  • #63 by ScottE on 22 Apr 2018
  • Please do, looking forward to more reviews and results. Thinking of picking one of these puppies up in a month...
  • #64 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Apr 2018
  • Yeah, I won't be doing any cooking in mine until mid-May most likely and then a big jerky cook over Memorial weekend due to work travel.
  • #65 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 May 2018
  • Anyone else buy and use one of these yet?  My work travel slows down for the month of May so I should be able to get something cooked finally.
  • #66 by bbp1 on 03 May 2018
  • Anyone else buy and use one of these yet?  My work travel slows down for the month of May so I should be able to get something cooked finally.
    I bought one, but it's still in the back of the car. I can't decide if I want it or should return it.

I had an electric smoker and sold it,  bought the brinkmann kamado from bjs. Used it a little bit. Now trying to decide on this one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• #67 by BigDave83 on 04 May 2018
  • I bought the 7 series from cabelas, because I couldn't pass up the deal. got it for 265 delivered. Going to try to put it together this weekend.
  • #68 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 May 2018
  • I bought the 7 series from cabelas, because I couldn't pass up the deal. got it for 265 delivered. Going to try to put it together this weekend.

How did you get it so cheap?
  • #69 by BigDave83 on 04 May 2018
  • they had them on sale for 550 and then one day they had a 10% off plus free shipping so that took another 55 off and I had 260 cabelas points, brought it to 23X plus tax.

I was going to order the 5 from walmart and figured I may even add the warranty extension but they raised the price for a week or so to 442, so I went with the 7
  • #70 by reubenray on 04 May 2018
  • I have not been home long enough to use mine much except for the initial use of some smoke meatballs.  I joined the Pit Boss facebook group and a lot of people are buying them.  I am thinking of doing pulled beef when I get a chance to use it.  I caught chuck roasts on sale a while back.
  • #71 by bbad on 04 May 2018
  • I picked up a Series 5 from Walmart less than a month ago. So far I've smoked ribs and then last weekend pork chops. Both turned out good. The temperature swings on my first cook were pretty high but I think the average temp was probably pretty close. My 5 is replacing a GMG that died. The cook time on my ribs was pretty close to what I used to do on the GMG when set at the same temp so it couldn't have been too far off.

This weekend I'm cooking a whole brisket and 6 racks of ribs for a Derby party. I definitely like the capacity of this smoker.
  • #72 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 May 2018
  • I picked up a Series 5 from Walmart less than a month ago. So far I've smoked ribs and then last weekend pork chops. Both turned out good. The temperature swings on my first cook were pretty high but I think the average temp was probably pretty close. My 5 is replacing a GMG that died. The cook time on my ribs was pretty close to what I used to do on the GMG when set at the same temp so it couldn't have been too far off.

This weekend I'm cooking a whole brisket and 6 racks of ribs for a Derby party. I definitely like the capacity of this smoker.

Interested to see your cooks this weekend.
  • #73 by bbad on 06 May 2018
  • The derby smoke was a success. The brisket was perfect and so were the ribs. The crowd loved them. This was the first long smoke I've done on the Series 5 and it did good. Like with any new smoker, it takes time to get used to how it cooks. Still had temp swings but the duration of cook for a 16.5 ib brisket was about right (15 hours).
  • #74 by Bar-B-Lew on 06 May 2018
  • Glad to hear.  Thanks for sharing.
Pages:
Actions