Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My New Service Puppy Raiser Journey  (Read 5021 times)

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
Re: My New Service Puppy Raiser Journey
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 12:23:14 AM »

That really is disappointing. I'm sure they have good reason for their process, but at the same time it's frustrating that there isn't some flex built into it to accommodate situations that are outside of the box.

I'm hoping for a turn of events that will negate the concerns about Rusty.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 05:42:32 PM »

I heard back from the service dog organization.  They apparently talked it over and decided that if Rusty is vaccinated and lives outside all the time, then the issue is closed.  I still might not pass all my tests, but that is on me.  I was relieved and happy that they listened to my concerns and were willing to be flexible.  I think they have been more than fair.

Now to the big issue, wrangling a little dog who lives outside, will not allow herself to be touched and runs away if you make a sudden move.  Ah, where are those fairies with the sleeping dust when you need them? :pig:

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 06:02:25 PM »

I'm dead in the water on how to get Rusty to a veterinarian.  There are several kinds of humane traps but I don't think she'll trust you ever again.  Maybe someone else could trap her, take her to the vet and then release her near your home.  In that way she won't associate you with the trauma.

You might contact Hope For Paws.  They're headquartered in Los Angeles, I think.  They oversee capturing and socializing feral dogs and are the only experts I know of.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 06:04:49 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 07:01:03 PM »

ask the vet what they would recommend
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 07:26:07 PM »

ask the vet what they would recommend

I did.  I have tried nearly everything they suggested -- try to lure her into the house, get her trust with treats so you can pet and handle, hold a treat in your hand and while she is reaching for it slip a noose around the head (have not tried that one because she is small and quick and I am big and clumsy and would probably lasso myself)

The one suggestion I have not tried -- buy a fishing net and throw it over her.  Again, I don't think I am quick enough for that one.  Since she seems to be distracted by the drone I am thinking I could have Bent fly the drone and distract her while I tried to throw a blanket over her, but I really done think I have the speed and co-ordination for that maneuver.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »

I'm dead in the water on how to get Rusty to a veterinarian. 

I am too.  Does Rusty stay in a dog house?  Maybe you could get her to go into a portable kennel of some sort with food if she's used to a dog house??
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 11:04:20 PM »

Growing up, we had a Beagle that would have seizures of some sort on long car trips. The Vet gave us something to put in her food that let her sleep most of an 8 hour trip. It seems that Rusty's curiosity keeps him around, but his feral instincts kick in when you try to get close. Possibly they don't do this anymore as that was many years ago. With a dog so quick and agile, I don't know what else you might do. It's such a worthy cause, and I do hope it all works out for you.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 11:20:47 PM »

I'm dead in the water on how to get Rusty to a veterinarian. 

I am too.  Does Rusty stay in a dog house?  Maybe you could get her to go into a portable kennel of some sort with food if she's used to a dog house??

I have one set up on the porch in this cold weather with blankets inside.  It even has a big open doorway so she won't feel trapped.  She refuses to go in it.  I have put treats in in and she runs in and grabs the treat and runs out.  So her house sits on the porch and right at the mouth of it I have built a blanket fortress with lawn chairs and blankets to shelter her from the wind on one side with the dog house on another and our house on the third side.  That leaves one side open and she seems ok with that.  Then I have piled fleece blankets and a fake lamb's wool blanket in a bowl like mound and she snuggles in there every night.

Bent thinks I am a psycho and go to extremes, but we have had some 0 degrees night with winds and I am just trying to make sure she is warm and protected.  He keeps saying "If she is cold she will go inside the dog house with those blankets", but I have seen her shivering outside rather than go in and I just can't stand that.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 11:22:26 PM »

Growing up, we had a Beagle that would have seizures of some sort on long car trips. The Vet gave us something to put in her food that let her sleep most of an 8 hour trip. It seems that Rusty's curiosity keeps him around, but his feral instincts kick in when you try to get close. Possibly they don't do this anymore as that was many years ago. With a dog so quick and agile, I don't know what else you might do. It's such a worthy cause, and I do hope it all works out for you.

I asked them today if they would prescribe a sedative so I could get her to them and they said they could not do that.

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 12:36:12 AM »

Good news coupled with another challenge. Still, you're further along than you were at this point yesterday. If you were able to trap her do you think she would react aggressively or maybe hurt herself trying to escape?

If not, seeing as how she will go into the portable kennel after treats maybe you could rig up a way to get that door closed when she's in there for that second or so. But then you could probably say good-bye to her ever trusting you even this much again.   :2cents:
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 11:40:22 AM »

The 1st time we "trapped" her in the mud room with a blanket, I had my welding gloves on.  She nipped at me twice and then seemed to calm down.  I held her on the couch for about 5 minutes and let her go.  2nd time, did not need the blanket, still wore gloves, but no nip, trying to hold and pet her for about 10 minutes, she was still very nervous and shook half the time.  3rd time was even easier and I did not wear gloves, she did not shake at all, but held here in my lap even longer, but you knew she did not want to be there.  The last time we picked her up, all 4 paws were dirty, so we put her in kitchen sink and washed them off.  I thought she would go ballistic, she did not...but that was the last time she ever wanted to come back in the house.  Has been back outside ever since, so I guess she figured not having the option to be trapped and pick up was better then being in a warm house over night.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:41:53 AM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2018, 08:41:22 AM »

EUREKA!!!!!  It wasn't cold this morning, so I left the door open a crack and, after several minutes of putting her head in and out and whining, Rusty walked inside and around the house and I was able to close the door.

At this point, my plan is to keep her inside and go to town and get a harness to put on her.  I will then attach a lead to the harness to take her in and out for bathroom breaks and exercise.  This will allow me to get her to the vet for the first round of shots and then keep her in the house to get the second round in about 3 weeks. It also let's the vet check for worms and general health and look at her eye.

I am sure that once I let her outside again, she will hate me, but I will have to chance it.  I want her checked over and vaccinated, especially against rabies since it has been found in the county.

If anyone has a better idea, I sure am willing to listen.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2018, 12:00:15 PM »

Something you might try is to get down to her level eliminating the dominant stance..While in her sight and at a distance, lie down, relax. You must be calm and relaxed as animals sense your composure. If she isn't bothered by your talking, say a few softly spoken words..Don't look directly at her.. You should be alone with no loud or sudden noises..If she isn't interested after several minutes, calmly get up while talking softly and walk away from her without looking at her..She has been deeply hurt and will have a hard time to trust people..She may with reservation, over time, on her terms accept a person..It will be a long slow and trying process...Softly say to Rusty, Rusty-Canadian John Likes you. Keep us posted please.

SJeP

• Using less gas.
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »

Keep us posted please.

And see if you can get a couple of pictures without scaring her.  For us animal lovers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Old one and kind of bad photo skills by me.  I found out today she is a little shy of 20 lbs and somewhere between 2 and 5 years old.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up