Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Feb 2018
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

OK, I know I have to stop with the cute puppy pics, but this one from the new litter is just too cute.  I start class on Tuesday night.  Hope all goes well.
  • #32 by Canadian John on 05 Feb 2018

•  Cute for sure.  Reminds me of my first dog. Had him for over 17 years..Now on with the work.
  • #33 by Quadman750 on 05 Feb 2018
  • How has the stray dog been, has she warmed up to you yet.
  • #34 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Feb 2018
  • She actually has come in and spent the night inside for the last 2 nights.  I know I sound mean, but I think she knows Bent isn't here and so will just freely walk in and out.  I should probably try and keep her inside, but she doesn't return to the vet for over two weeks and that might border on impossible.  So I am hoping to keep her coming and going into the house and, maybe a couple of days before the vet visit just keep her inside.

ps -- even though she comes in, she still won't let me touch or pet her!
  • #35 by Quadman750 on 05 Feb 2018
  • That sounds great, I think it will take some time. Does she know ant commands like sit, shake a paw.
  • #36 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Feb 2018
  • No, I think she maybe responds to "come" when we are outside, but that may just be a lot of wishful thinking on my part.
  • #37 by Michael_NW on 06 Feb 2018
  • That puppers is adorable! Man, I've got a soft spot for labs. My wife wants our next dog to be a mix, but I'm hoping it will still look somewhat like a lab.
  • #38 by Kristin Meredith on 07 Feb 2018
  • First puppy raiser class in the books.  Learned a little about SDV and their training methods.They place dogs with folks with physical disabilities, autism dogs and diabetes alert dogs. For the first year, the puppy is raised in a home and learns basic skills (potty training, living inside and behaving, basic commands, getting familiar with a lot of different experiences and places). The second year they go back to the facility.  From 9 to 5 each day, they work with professional trainers on a variety of commands and situations.  In the evenings and on weekends they go home with local folks who also work with them on commands and training.  It costs $40,000 to raise a dog through this program and they are given to the client at the end of the training for free.  Last night, we worked with adult dogs in their second year of training, so they already knew a lot and helped me!!  Learned how to properly walk on a lead, the commands let's go, look, touch, sit and down.  Learned how to use a clicker in training followed by a treat -- not easy to do when you have no coordination like me.  Also, they have a specific way they want you to hold the lead while training the dog which was a bit of a trial for me, especially with a clicker in the same hand! Had to concentrate pretty intensely for 2 hours while walking with the dog, giving commands, clicks, treats, and talking with the dog to form a bond.  Learned a lot!  Will see what next week brings.
  • #39 by yorkdude on 07 Feb 2018
  • That is really neat. A terrific way to help others. Congratulations
  • #40 by Canadian John on 08 Feb 2018
  •  
    An interesting, challenging and rewarding future awaits..Thank you for your gift of time. Some very special person will reap the rewards of your labour.
  • #41 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Mar 2018
  • Well, I apparently passed my 4 week training class.  It was a strain because they do nearly everything different from the prior group I worked with and all their commands are different.  We have the home inspection this Wednesday -- maybe I should have Bent bbq them something to soften them up!!!! :pig:
  • #42 by Canadian John on 04 Mar 2018

• Kristin: That would be considered a bribe. Excellent idea for sure.. Way to go on the 4 weeks! :D
  • #43 by Bobitis on 04 Mar 2018
  • Wondering...

What do you think will become of your new member and the current member?
  • #44 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Mar 2018
  • Wondering...

What do you think will become of your new member and the current member?

I am not exactly following what you are asking Bobitis.  I will go into lawyer mode -- could you rephrase the question please?
  • #45 by Bobitis on 04 Mar 2018
  • just wondering how the new pup will accept the outsider and vs versa.
Pages:
Actions