Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My New Service Puppy Raiser Journey  (Read 5022 times)

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
Re: My New Service Puppy Raiser Journey
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2018, 12:10:57 AM »

I'm so happy for you! And I'm happy for those future pups and their future owners.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2018, 08:53:13 AM »

I have been accepted to be a puppy raiser for Guiding Eyes for the Blind -- Prince William Region.  I will have to go through a couple of pre-placement classes in the next few weeks and they expect to place puppies on May 14.  If you ever want to read a book on what these dogs can do, get hold of "Thunder Dog", the story of a blind man with a service dog who lead him down from the top reaches of the World Trade Center on 9-11 and never left his side or failed in her mission even through the smoke and chaos -- and the dog was trained by Guiding Eyes.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:29:28 AM by Kristin Meredith »

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »

Congratulations, can only imagine your excitement! Way to go.

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2018, 01:40:05 PM »

Congrats Kristin  :clap:
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2018, 06:51:25 PM »

Wow! Congratulations, Kristin! The puppies you care for are lucky.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2018, 08:35:24 AM »

I am on to the final phase. I am to puppy sit for a week from April 30 to May 7 and have my last class on May 1.  I am puppy sitting Hodge, the little black lab in the photo above.  He is now 5 months old, so a little bigger than in the photo.  I have met him a couple of times and he is a real sweetie, so should be a good way of getting me back into a routine.

yorkdude

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2018, 10:15:51 AM »

That’s great stuff. Good looking dog and I love the name, Congratulations on your new adventure!

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2018, 07:27:07 PM »

Excellent news Kristin!

I'm curious as to what makes a dog a good candidate for this type of service.

Is it breed oriented? Size? Personality (again with the breed thing), or some other abstraction?

Dogs play pivotal roles in any number of circumstances. Guard dogs, attack dogs, military/police/bomb-drug sniffing, etc.
Is there something inherently special about service dogs?

Sorry if that came of awkward...
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »

I know that reputable service dog organizations screen their puppies at several different times in their life before placement to make sure the dog is a match for its life of service.  Guiding Eyes for the Blind (GEB) has the most extensive program which I have heard about to date.

I am sure that there are a lot of folks on this site who have a lot more knowledge of dogs and labs, in particular, than I do, so they might add something to the conversation.  GEB has primarily moved to labs because of their temperament and training ability and drive to please. Labs are also a good size to be a guide dog. I think one of the biggest traits they look for is for the dog to be focused on their person, be patient, and to be focused on their task. They breed their own dogs, selecting dogs for the breeding program who have shown all the traits they want.  They have a program for the puppies from the moment they are born.

They start handling the puppies at 3 days old to get them use to humans.  At 5 weeks, they are separated from mom and start their training -- easy stuff like following a human, looking constantly at a human ("checking in"), meeting people politely and calmly, and sitting.  At 8 weeks, they are professionally evaluated using a criteria developed by GEB.  This is the first level that some pups don't pass. Some may have health issues which are spotted, but even at 8 weeks some are eliminated as not having the temperament and attention to be a service dog and especially a guide dog.

At 8 weeks they are placed with a puppy raiser.  I will then attend classes weekly until the pup reaches 5 months.  At every class, the pup is being assessed by a professional trainer.  At 5 months, we start going to class every other week and again are being assessed by a professional trainer.  At the end of 6 months, I fill out an evaluation, the professional fills out an evaluation and the pup is tested.  A pup can be eliminated from the program at this point.  If s/he continues on, we do the same training and class routine until the 12 month mark.  Then a repeat of the evals and potential for being eliminated from the program.  Then continue on until between 14 and 16 months.  If the pup is still in the program at this point, it is returned to the training facility in New York and, after a couple days of getting use to the facility, goes through the "In For Training"  (IFT) test.  If the pup passes this test, this is a day of great rejoicing because it means that the pup has been accepted for advanced training and will now work in harness and learn to guide a person.

The dog will go through 4 more months of professional training and could even wash out at any point in this process.  At the end of 4 months, the dog is matched with their human and they train as a team for another month, always being evaluated.  Dogs who aren't selected for GEB dogs often go to other agencies as working dogs -- they train for bomb and drug detection etc.  So they may have many traits that make them a productive working dog, they just don't have that little bit of extra focus/concentration/patience that makes them a guide dog.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2018, 12:30:32 PM »

Meet Hodge.  He is 5 and 1/2 months old and came to us yesterday afternoon and will be with us for one week.  This is part of my pre-placement training.  I believe I will get my pup on May 14.  Hodge knows a lot and is a very sweet boy.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:33:28 PM by Kristin Meredith »

yorkdude

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2018, 01:40:22 PM »

Good looking pup, I bet you are going to have a great time with him and congratulations again.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2018, 07:54:23 AM »

I know that the vast majority of you have probably not followed my journey being a puppy raiser and were not aware that I have been working to have the prior organization I raised puppies for legally held accountable for selling "service dogs" which did not work and actually made life for difficult for folks with disabilities -- and they paid $25,000 for that privilege.  The man who ran the organization was just doing evil and I -- and many others -- have actively tried for a year to get him shut down.  It had become very discouraging and I was convinced that he was just going to skate.

Well, yesterday, the Virginia Attorney General filed a massive 122 page complaint against him for various types of consumer fraud -- including an allegation that he falsely claimed to be a former Marine who had trained dogs in the service.  I was especially pleased to see that charge since I think stolen valor is particularly despicable.  So, I lost hope too early and maybe he will be brought to justice!!

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2018, 10:11:10 AM »

"Justice will prevail"...   It is heartbreaking that a person is able to take advantage of someone in need..Yes I have been following your journey with interest.

yorkdude

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2018, 11:09:54 AM »

We have also followed with interest and hopefully he will get what is due him and the recipients of the dogs will also hopefully be made whole again.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2018, 08:34:14 AM »

The article showed up on my Google feed yesterday.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up