Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Aug 2018
  • To me, his containers being used to demonstrate the attachment of smoke to the vessel looked more like they were being covered in ash.  I can see ash sticking to water, especially from a stick burner. 
  • #17 by Bentley on 04 Aug 2018
  • I guess if you believe that a protein is the same as a cotton swab or a cold can...And yes, I do believe that meat stops taking on smoke taste at a certain point.

So my Pork Belly that has been dried for 3 days wont take on Smoke, it just bounces off?  OK...I will respectfully disagree with Dr. Blonder and amazin ribs!

If the surface is cold or wet, more of it sticks. Usually, late in the cook, the bark gets pretty warm and dry, and by then the coals are not producing a lot of smoke. Smoke bounces off warm dry surfaces so we are fooled into thinking the meat is somehow saturated with smoke.

• #18 by Berniep on 05 Aug 2018
  • Thanks everyone for the good info! Even if some of it is at odd with others lol.
    Looks like I will have to experiment... A LOT!  Can't wait to get started.   My grill is due to be on the dock tomorrow.  Not sure how long it will take them to call me.   I know a guy who works for that trucking company and he said they are pretty current right no so Hopefully they get to me soon. I usually work really late so I might be out there in the dark trying to put it together.
  • #19 by Kelvininin on 08 Aug 2018
  • So you haven't cooked on the RT yet.  Try it first, full smoke and go from there.   I pretty much use hickory or mesquite exclusively and don't have an issue. 

If its too smoky after the first one, spend less time in the smoker and finish in your oven.  Or wrap the meat and finish on the smoker.

I have over smoked somethingd like cheese and meatballs.  The cheese was so smoky the dog wouldn't even touch it.     
  • #20 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Aug 2018
  • So you haven't cooked on the RT yet.  Try it first, full smoke and go from there.   I pretty much use hickory or mesquite exclusively and don't have an issue. 

If its too smoky after the first one, spend less time in the smoker and finish in your oven.  Or wrap the meat and finish on the smoker.

I have over smoked somethingd like cheese and meatballs.  The cheese was so smoky the dog wouldn't even touch it.     

Do you vac seal the cheese, put in the fridge, and eat about 4 weeks later?  Or, did you try eating it right off the smoker?
  • #21 by Kelvininin on 17 Aug 2018
  • Do you vac seal the cheese, put in the fridge, and eat about 4 weeks later?  Or, did you try eating it right off the smoker?

Right off the smoker... You have to let it age?   How's got time for that?
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Aug 2018
  • Do you vac seal the cheese, put in the fridge, and eat about 4 weeks later?  Or, did you try eating it right off the smoker?

Right off the smoker... You have to let it age?   How's got time for that?

Yes, it tastes like an ashtray right off the smoker.  Vac seal and let sit in fridge for at least 4 weeks.  It will taste much different than what you experienced.  Patience is a virtue young man.
  • #23 by Kelvininin on 20 Aug 2018
  • Huh...  I guess I didn't research it enough.  I would have let it rest for a month if I had.  I'll have to try it again. 
  • #24 by GREG-B on 20 Aug 2018
  • Yes, listen to the old Pelletfan gurus, they as a general rule know what they are talking about.   :bbq:
  • #25 by bregent on 20 Aug 2018
  • Huh...  I guess I didn't research it enough.  I would have let it rest for a month if I had.  I'll have to try it again.

It really depends on your setup. If you separate the smoke generator (tube, tray, whatever) from the smoke box using a long duct, you eliminate much of the acrid smoke and the cheese does not need to be aged before you consume.
Pages:
Actions