Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Goosehunter51 on 18 Jan 2018
  • Just purchased this barrel smoker from BarrelHouse Cooker Comany on Tuesday.  The product arrived on my doorstep yesterday afternoon.  Very simple design and very easy to assemble.  I haven’t cooked on it yet but so far I am very impressed.  The customer support has been amazing.  I received and email this morning from them checking to make sure I received everything in good condition.  I am thinking this will be a good addition sitting next to my MAK.

More to follow.

Clint
  • #2 by Free Mr. Tony on 18 Jan 2018
  • I've heard Walmart has started selling them, so may start seeing alot more of those.
  • #3 by triplebq on 18 Jan 2018
  • Very nice. Also the food pictures on their website look  :lick:
  • #4 by okie smokie on 18 Jan 2018
  • You put me in the mood.  I just bought the Barrel House 14" also.  No assembly required.  They have also a new 18" model that will handle bigger cooks.  I did not need the extra space.  What really sold me was the sale price of $249 with free shipping (both models the same price.)
    Main reason is that there are just two of us most of the time, and you can do 4 racks of ribs easily or a 20 lb turkey. Also, the top can be remove and the bottom charcoal pan used as open grill for steaks and chops.  Very versatile, and when cook is done and food removed, no need to worry about shutdown and, disconnect etc.  Just leave it burn out over night and dump charcoal ash in am.  Also, small grills and such can go into the dishwasher.  Can be picked up and stored in the garage as well, with or without a cover. My wife and I also prefer steaks and chops over charcoal and great searing.   
    Will show it off when arrives and set up.  Thanks for putting me onto it.   :bbq: :clap: :cool:
  • #5 by jstrand on 18 Jan 2018
  • I wonder if it will be as well liked as the PBC. Keep us updated. Looks pretty cool. New toys rock!
  • #6 by okie smokie on 19 Jan 2018
  • I wonder if it will be as well liked as the PBC. Keep us updated. Looks pretty cool. New toys rock!

Almost all the testimonials (reviews) were 5 star.  Mostly on the quality of the results, and also quality of construction, and service.
    I read in the manual that you can drop some wood chips on the charcoal to enhance the smoke.  I wonder if a handful of pellets would work the same? 
    It is on the way and should have it by next Tuesday.  Probably will do ribs first thing. 
  • #7 by Goosehunter51 on 20 Jan 2018
  • I plan on my first cook tomorrow, have 4 racks of ribs to try.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 20 Jan 2018
  • I plan on my first cook tomorrow, have 4 racks of ribs to try.

Take before and after pics if you can.  I went to Ace today and got charcoal, starter chimney and made space for the new stuff on back porch.  Asked a question on their contact page and got a very nice reply after a few hours yesterday.  Mine arrives next Tuesday. 
  • #9 by Goosehunter51 on 21 Jan 2018
  • I will do my best, I have found that I am pretty bad a photo documenting.  I get busy and forget
  • #10 by ArborAgent on 21 Jan 2018
  • How does this compare with the Pit Barrel Cooker?
  • #11 by Goosehunter51 on 21 Jan 2018
  • Looks like the same concept and design.  I know the price is better.
  • #12 by Free Mr. Tony on 21 Jan 2018
  • How does this compare with the Pit Barrel Cooker?

There is a massive thread on a different forum about this. There was a legal dispute over someone stealing the pit barrel ideas. I forget the particulars but according to the majority of those folks the barrel house guy was in the wrong, and stole from pit barrel. Many over there would not buy from barrel house. I do not have a side. Just reporting.
  • #13 by Goosehunter51 on 21 Jan 2018
  • Well I am pretty sure the concept of a barrel cooker is pretty basic.  Looking at Bentley’s design heck he could sue Pit Barrel Cooker for stealing his ideas (tongue in cheek).  Unfortunately we live in a litigious society and I really don’t care to get involved in it.  Competition is good and I would think with the barrel house being $50 cheaper that it is most definitely hurting PBC.
  • #14 by pmillen on 21 Jan 2018
  • There is a massive thread on a different forum about this. There was a legal dispute over someone stealing the pit barrel ideas. I forget the particulars but according to the majority of those folks the barrel house guy was in the wrong, and stole from pit barrel. Many over there would not buy from barrel house. I do not have a side. Just reporting.

Also in the spirit of just reporting I'll provide some more information.

It's Colorado Docket No. 1:15-cv-02815.  You can find details via an Internet search.

It started in late 2014 and as near as I can tell it hasn't been settled.  I used to follow it rather closely because I owned a PBC and I rather liked what I knew about the owner and his wife.  As I recall, the PBC owners negotiated with Barrel House for Barrel House to manufacture the PBC barrels.  PBC owners contend that Barrel House unlawfully used the PBC market research and PBC design to manufacture a competitive product.
  • #15 by okie smokie on 21 Jan 2018
  • There is a massive thread on a different forum about this. There was a legal dispute over someone stealing the pit barrel ideas. I forget the particulars but according to the majority of those folks the barrel house guy was in the wrong, and stole from pit barrel. Many over there would not buy from barrel house. I do not have a side. Just reporting.

Also in the spirit of just reporting I'll provide some more information.

It's Colorado Docket No. 1:15-cv-02815.  You can find details via an Internet search.

Looking at the PBC and the Barrel House, they are very different in structure.  PBC is a 30 gallon one piece barrel (Unless I am not seeing it correctly), and the BHC is smaller diameter, and the barrel breaks down into 3 separate units.  Cooking principle is the same but design much different, and looks much easier to set up, use and clean.  Best is being able to separate the charcoal pan both for lighting or use as a Hibachi for sear grilling.  BHC just coming out with their 18" model for the same price, looks to me like they are confident.   :2cents:

It started in late 2014 and as near as I can tell it hasn't been settled.  I used to follow it rather closely because I owned a PBC and I rather liked what I knew about the owner and his wife.  As I recall, the PBC owners negotiated with Barrel House for Barrel House to manufacture the PBC barrels.  PBC owners contend that Barrel House unlawfully used the PBC market research and PBC design to manufacture a competitive product.
Pages:
Actions