Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Goosehunter51 on 21 Jan 2018
  • First fire up and start of cook.
  • #17 by Goosehunter51 on 21 Jan 2018
  • Dome Temp after about 20 minutes.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #18 by pmillen on 21 Jan 2018
  • Goosehunter, are you in the Southern Hemisphere?   ;)
  • #19 by Goosehunter51 on 21 Jan 2018
  • I must be, I will get this figured out one of these days.  They are right side up in photos. 
  • #20 by okie smokie on 21 Jan 2018
  • Looking at the PBC and the Barrel House, they are very different in structure.  PBC is a 30 gallon one piece barrel (Unless I am not seeing it correctly), and the BHC is smaller diameter, and the barrel breaks down into 3 separate units.  Cooking principle is the same but design much different, and looks much easier to set up, use and clean.  Best is being able to separate the charcoal pan both for lighting or use as a Hibachi for sear grilling.  BHC just coming out with their 18" model for the same price, looks to me like they are confident.   :2cents:
  • #21 by Goosehunter51 on 22 Jan 2018
  • Ribs were awesome, juicy.  Best I have ever cooked.

• #22 by okie smokie on 22 Jan 2018

Beautiful ribs.  Can't wait to do the same.  Did you tandem hook them?
  • #23 by ZCZ on 22 Jan 2018
  • I must be, I will get this figured out one of these days.  They are right side up in photos.

Go into your photos and rotate it 90° then save it.  Go back and rotate to proper orientation then save it again.  Re-post it (it won't automatically update) and it will be fine.  Anymore after I take a picture I plan on posting I rotate it and save it and go back to it and rotate again, then I post it and they come out fine.
    Z
  • #24 by Goosehunter51 on 22 Jan 2018

Beautiful ribs.  Can't wait to do the same.  Did you tandem hook them?

No sir, single hook worked great.  Just followed directions, left in for three hours, pulled and sauced then back in for 30 more minutes.
  • #25 by Goosehunter51 on 22 Jan 2018
  • Thermoworks Smoke arrived today, I am sitting fat and happy.
  • #26 by okie smokie on 23 Jan 2018
  • Just received my BHC today and since it was late, decided to use the bottom grill as Hibachi for some New York Steak. This was a Choice Costco that has be wet aged at 36* for 3 weeks.  Use 1/4 the load of charcoal and cook on the open grills.  Superb result.  Just grilled it, and it was rare in the middle and nice char on the surface.  After dinner, just put the rest of the barrel on top with the snaps, and left it for tomorrow after the coals are cold. Grill went into the dishwasher.  Done!

Sorry I used links above but could not get the usual pics set up from Imgur.  But look anyhow.  Steak disappeared quickly.  Will smoke some ribs in couple of days.
     :clap: :clap:
  • #27 by okie smokie on 25 Jan 2018
  • Did 3 racks of spares today.  Easy, 3.5 hrs. Much better smoke effect. Did not foil so they were not as tender but were really just great. No pics (sorry).  Ribs were completely rendered of fat but were still moist.  Just pull them and let the charcoal burn out.  Easy. Keep the grills clean empty the ashes but just burn out the pit once or twice a year.  What's not to like. 
    I added some wood chips but did not need to. This baby smokes the whole time from the drippings into the charcoal.
    Plan to do a brisket next.  Will document with pics next time. 

:clap:
  • #28 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jan 2018
  • Do you see yourself using this cooker more than your pellet grill?  Only for specific foods?  What is it that you prefer to this method of cooking versus the pellet grill? Curious to hear why people enjoy using certain pieces of equipment.
  • #29 by okie smokie on 26 Jan 2018
  • Do you see yourself using this cooker more than your pellet grill?  Only for specific foods?  What is it that you prefer to this method of cooking versus the pellet grill? Curious to hear why people enjoy using certain pieces of equipment.
    Not sure yet, will have to do more types of cooks.  Definitely, I thought the steaks were better.  The ribs had much more smoke flavor and were great, but were not quite as tender since I did not foil them for the last hour.  An acceptable trade off, but will experiment more on that.  Plan to do a brisket soon and perhaps a butt.  The little grills are a bit more difficult to scrape, or you can soak them over night.  Just will take a while for me to know which is best for what. 
    Plan:  Will continue to experiment and let you know later.   
  • #30 by Goosehunter51 on 26 Jan 2018

I would say no, pellet grill will be my go to grill.  This is just another weapon in my arsenal.

The true reason I purchased it is due to the fact that my current living situation means I am away from my MAK and only had a gas grill to cook on.  This was a cheap option that takes very little space.  I sure hope she is enjoying my MAK. :( :(
Pages:
Actions