Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by okie smokie on 27 Jan 2018
  • Had more time to think about what occurred with the rib smoke.  Since there is no baffle, the drippings go directly into the charcoal pot and are vaporized.  Then carried in the smoke up and over the meat as it cooks.  In addition, the whole barrel is coated in the same stuff.  This is why the meat is more smoke flavored and is much darker in appearance.  That was obvious, BUT,  when I cleaned up the pit after I removed the H frame grill, and wiped the upper lid.  The dark oily coating on the lid struck me as something I would not like to swallow. But that is just what is also coating the meat.  Also the H grill was very difficult to remove the sooty greasy coating. Even after soaking in the sink with lots of detergent, it was hard to rub or scraped the crud off of the chrome surface???? SOOOOOO-----Perhaps we should not be eating meat done this way?  In our pellet grills the fat drips onto the drip pan and water based juices are vaporized, and the grease drains into the grease pot and is discarded.  The only time  you catch the grease in the BHC is when you are smoking a big fatty meat like a brisket, shoulder (butt), Turkey, --then you put a grease pan down below to avoid flare ups.
    Even then you will probably vaporize enough of the fat to get it all over everything. 
      I know we are often told that smoked foods are not good to eat often. (medical advice suggests higher incidence of GI cancer, but I have not seen convincing proof of this)
    In our pellet smokers, we do get much less of this oily smoke, but we get less smoke taste as well.
      My plan:  Will do several other type of cooks and see how they go.  Thinking of doing tri-tip and brisket. Tri tip will be a reverse sear by pulling off the top barrel after smoking and using this charcoal grill to sear.   
    Would appreciate any thoughts from our editor in chief or others.  :help: 
  • #32 by Bentley on 27 Jan 2018
  • Not trying to be harsh, but it needs to be said!  If someone likes that flavor they should cook with that equipment.

Not for me, I have made and cooked on barrel units, offsets, Weber's...and this statement is just not accurate for my pellet cooking units!  Its is the reason I don't cook with those devices anymore!

but we get less smoke taste as well.
  • #33 by okie smokie on 27 Jan 2018
  • Not trying to be harsh, but it needs to be said!  If someone likes that flavor they should cook with that equipment.

Not for me, I have made and cooked on barrel units, offsets, Weber's...and this statement is just not accurate for my pellet cooking units!  Its is the reason I don't cook with those devices anymore!

but we get less smoke taste as well.
    I get it.  Just an experiment for me since I haven't cooked on it before.  Doing tri-tip tomorrow, both smoked, then seared at the end.  If I am not in love with the result, I will offer it to another in my family and return to my GS.. Meanwhile I do realize this is a forum for pellet poopers.   8)
  • #34 by smokin soon on 27 Jan 2018
  • I have never had any cooks from a barrel cooker but after reading up on them, it seems some enjoy the "grease fog" flavor but many do not. Just a matter of taste I guess.
  • #35 by Bentley on 27 Jan 2018
  • If I like the flavor it would not matter how it is cooked or what it looks like.  Now I have never seen a dark oily substance like you speak of in my units, but you put any pan in there and after a couple of hours it is going to have a film on it.  So to me it is a dichotomy...It would seem like your unit is not burning the fuel efficiently, or completely to produce what you are speaking of, yet to a degree, so do my units and I know they are burning effeciently...yet, unless I am reading it wrong, you quite enjoyed the ribs?  So yes, I would think you would like this cooking device!
  • #36 by okie smokie on 27 Jan 2018
  • If I like the flavor it would not matter how it is cooked or what it looks like.  Now I have never seen a dark oily substance like you speak of in my units, but you put any pan in there and after a couple of hours it is going to have a film on it.  So to me it is a dichotomy...It would seem like your unit is not burning the fuel efficiently, or completely to produce what you are speaking of, yet to a degree, so do my units and I know they are burning effeciently...yet, unless I am reading it wrong, you quite enjoyed the ribs?  So yes, I would think you would like this cooking device!
    You don't get fat dripping right on the fire in your pellet smokers or you probably would get some oily smoke IMO or a good fire. 
    It was my first cook on the barrel, so I may not have adjusted the air intake properly due to a faulty thermometer (being replaced as we speak).  Thought the ribs had great smokey taste at first, (because I don't get hardly any on the pellet grill) but in retrospect, after having a couple of ribs at noon today there is too much smoke taste==causes a little stomach grouching and burping for a couple of hours after.  Well anyhow I will attempt a better controlled trial tomorrow for TriTip and maybe another shot at ribs next week before I hang it up.  Goosehunter said "best he ever tasted" for the ribs, so I may get it right the next time.   
  • #37 by Bentley on 27 Jan 2018
  • Just sounds like you need a small fabrication disk to slant to one side and make your own grease tray!  Cat litter in the bottom, and then just let it drip off to the side and down to the cat litter!
  • #38 by Goosehunter51 on 28 Jan 2018
  • Best I had ever cooked, definitely not the best I have ever tasted.  My comment was more of a reflection on my cooking skills. 
  • #39 by okie smokie on 28 Jan 2018
  • I just ordered the 14D Friday.  I'll also go for a rib first cook and post the results.  As for a grease trap - I believe you can put the half grates at the bottom just above the coals and then place a foil pan on it.  That will certainly cut down on grease/fat going directly on the coals.
    Agreed. That is what they suggest for fatty cooks like brisket and butts etc.  However, no reason you can't do it with ribs.  Only problem is to hang your ribs strategically so they will drip into the pan.  I now have some square foil pans that are big enough to aim for but not block the convection .  Too much pan in between may also force you to adjust the air intakes (more open) to keep the temp up.  Kinda makes you feel like Frankenstein don't it? Today is Tri-Tip so no pan needed. :rotf:
  • #40 by okie smokie on 28 Jan 2018
  • Did my first TriTip tonight on the BHC.  2.4 lb. Choice from a local butcher.  Seasoned this am with Montreal Steak Season. This cook was perfect.  No fog (lean meat).  40 min on the hook, then when temp was 120 in thickest part, I removed the TT and then removed the barrel from the fire pot and placed the grills over the charcoal like a hibachi.  Then 3-4 min on each side and off the grill.  After 10 minutes rest, I cut into slices across the grain and it was perfect medium to med/rare.  My wife and I devoured about half of it.  The rest sliced for leftovers.  This is a chewy but not tough cut of meat and very tasty. Nice way to do it.  Would be great for serving about 4 people, so will probably plan to do that next time.

• #41 by Goosehunter51 on 28 Jan 2018
  • Okie, that looks like some good tip.  Thanks for sharing.
  • #42 by Goosehunter51 on 29 Jan 2018
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Whole split chicken, got busy prepping dinner so this is the only shot.  Two hours n the barrel and the chicken awesome.  Paired it with broccoli, artichoke and a salad with blue cheese dressing.  Great dinner.  Dad said it was one of the best chicken dinners he has had in a long time.
  • #43 by Goosehunter51 on 30 Jan 2018
  • Yes, I bought the whole chicken then split and hung.
  • #44 by Goosehunter51 on 06 Feb 2018
  • That’s funny, my Dad finally broke down and told me he really didn’t like the ribs, way to strong of a charcoal smoke taste. But he did love the chicken.   
  • #45 by okie smokie on 06 Feb 2018
  • That’s funny, my Dad finally broke down and told me he really didn’t like the ribs, way to strong of a charcoal smoke taste. But he did love the chicken.
    Chicken probably does not absorb as much smoke as the ribs due to:
    1.  Shorter cook time
    2.  Skin is less absorptive and keeps the deeper meat from absorbing the smoke

Gonna try chicken next.  If it is really great and crispy as shown it will be a hit.
    Also gonna do ribs again but just 1 or 2 racks and control my heat better (had my air vent too far open first time). Still have plenty of warranty time.
    The tri-tip was great,
    Hibachi is also great for steaks and chops
    Lots of positive YouTube trials both on PBC and BHC.  Once guy uses wood pellets on the charcoal for wood smoke taste.

Pages:
Actions