Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

Would you participate economically in funding the purchase of a uuni3 pellet pizza oven for PF testing in return for a chance to win the oven

No
- 20 (27.8%)
Yes, if the raffle ticket price was $5 per chance
- 16 (22.2%)
Yes, if the raffle ticket was $10 per chance
- 19 (26.4%)
Yes, if the raffle ticket was $20 per chance
- 4 (5.6%)
Yes, price of raffle ticket does not matter
- 13 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll -- Would You Contribute to this Product Testing  (Read 5494 times)

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: Poll -- Would You Contribute to this Product Testing
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 06:38:32 AM »

Bentley, I believe we all meant that you would get a little extra for testing so that food costs were covered on your end. Something like:

300 for unit
50 for shipping post test
50 for food costs
----------------------------------
400 total collection (40 ten dollar tickets)
Yep, exactly what I was thinking.
I do see what you mean about potential short funding it.......? Hence the poll to gauge interest?

hokiepop

• Using less gas.
  • West Point, VA
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 08:10:20 AM »

I like the concept and I would gladly buy a $ 10 raffle ticket.   The pre-purchase polling is a great idea so Bentley and Kristen don't get stuck with out of pocket costs.   I also think that any extra money from the lottery should go to help keep this site going.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 08:55:09 AM »

I voted no because I have no interest in the uuni3 or any other pizza oven. However, if this were a product that I was interested in, I'd be the first one to participate.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »

I voted no because I have no interest in the uuni3 or any other pizza oven. However, if this were a product that I was interested in, I'd be the first one to participate.

Good to hear. I was curious as to whether the reason for the "no" answers were concept based or product based.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 10:22:23 AM »

Good to hear. I was curious as to whether the reason for the "no" answers were concept based or product based.

That is why I wrote the following in the first post:  "This poll is not aimed at a general participation concept, but specifically as to whether you would participate in a raffle if the uuni3 pellet pizza pit was offered." 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:55:34 AM by Bentley »

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »

We never kept a pit from Performance Testing, nor a product after a Product Review.  At least I did not, cant speak for Larry.  Always let the Manufacture know that, and always made sure they knew the results were gonna be posted, good or bad.  I never worried about it, I guess if the product had flaws, I figured they should not have sent it!

I know this thread is specific to this one item, but...

This is a departure from the the way it was done before. Previously, performance tests were done on equipment that was submitted by the manufacturer. The manufacturer not only wanted you to review their product(s), they requested you do it and provided the piece to be performance tested. The method outlined in this thread is providing unsolicited reviews / critiques that the manufacturer may, or may not, want you (pelletfan) to do. No one can decline being performance tested.

Personally, I like the idea and feel that you could review pretty much anything you want, at any time it was convenient for you. You do not have to wait for a manufacturer to decide if they want to be performance tested. You just have to wait for enough contributors to purchase the item. You could have a sub-forum with a list of items that PF would like to performance test, with a link to purchase tickets for that item. People can purchase tickets for whatever items you have listed and once you have enough tickets sold to cover your expenses, you purchase, review and then send the item to the lucky raffle ticket winner. Rinse and repeat for the next raffle item. This is something that is definitely a departure from the way Larry ran his site and I think I would like to see it play out, especially if you sold the tickets online and could purchase them with a credit card. Manually keeping track of who said they would purchase tickets and then accounting for the payments via "check in the mail" stuff and then associating log in names with the actual names /addresses of ticket holders seems like a pain in the butt.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:44:29 AM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »

That is nice of you all to care for us, but you all do not need to supplement our food.  In a situation like this, wow, pizza, I pay good money outside the house for it, so I obviously still enjoy eating it...now if you were telling me I had to cook traditional BBQ on it, ohhh, we would have some eating issues.

The shipping is a good point.

I got a bug on the back of my neck regarding this, idea is sound, just that we take money from members to do this.  I need to get the Tappecue Product Review done, then get back out and beat the street to see if I can get some Manufactures to let us do a few Product Reviews.

Bentley, I believe we all meant that you would get a little extra for testing so that food costs were covered on your end. Something like:

300 for unit
50 for shipping post test
50 for food costs
----------------------------------
400 total collection (40 ten dollar tickets)
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 10:53:11 AM »

I like it from this stand point quite a bit...

The raffle would possibly help a great deal in separating the "got it for free"'folks, that were for the most part never heard from again, from the folks who would be more inclined to share some cooks.
If a person was interested in the product they have the choice to ante up, if not they don't, simple as that.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 10:54:28 AM »

That is why Kristin voted no.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2018, 10:56:44 AM »

We never kept a pit from Performance Testing, nor a product after a Product Review.  At least I did not, cant speak for Larry.  Always let the Manufacture know that, and always made sure they knew the results were gonna be posted, good or bad.  I never worried about it, I guess if the product had flaws, I figured they should not have sent it!

This is a departure from the the way it was done before. Previously, performance tests were done on equipment that was submitted by the manufacturer. The manufacturer not only wanted you to review their product(s), they requested you do it and provided the piece to be performance tested. The method outlined in this thread is providing unsolicited reviews / critiques that the manufacturer may, or may not, want you (pelletfan) to do. No one can decline being performance tested.

Personally, I like the idea and feel that you could review pretty much anything you want, at any time it was convenient for you. You do not have to wait for a manufacturer to decide if they want to be performance tested. You just have to wait for enough contributors to purchase the item. You could have a sub-forum with a list of items that PF would like to performance test, with a link to purchase tickets for that item. People can purchase tickets for whatever items you have listed and once you have enough tickets sold to cover your expenses, you purchase, review and then send the item to the lucky raffle ticket winner. Rinse and repeat for the next raffle item. This is something that is definitely a departure from the way Larry ran his site and I think I would like to see it play out, especially if you sold the tickets online and could purchase them with a credit card. Manually keeping track of who said they would purchase tickets and then accounting for the payments via "check in the mail" stuff and then associating log in names with the actual names /addresses of ticket holders seems like a pain in the butt.

Agree on the payment method suggested above. I believe it would be easier for all parties involved. Even just PayPal would be sufficient, but I'm sure better options exist.

Also like the product list with links to ticket purchases. At first I think with the few active members we have, it would have to be relatively low cost items to ensure a good turnout. As the site grows (which maybe something like this would help it grow), monetary amount and product list could expand. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »

It is and it is not!

Performance Testing and Product Review were different.  After being offered the Royall Unit to Performance Test by a Member, Larry and I agreed we would never do any other PT unless the Manufacture willingly participated.

The Product Reviews, all the ones I did were sent to me by the Manufacture and raffled off, all but the Stufz Patty Maker I believe and the Frogmats.  So that was a little of both.

The monetary logistics of buying and then trying to sell a unit is more then I ever want to consider.

Rinse and repeat for the next raffle item. This is something that is definitely a departure from the way Larry ran his site...

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »

I got a bug on the back of my neck regarding this, idea is sound, just that we take money from members to do this. 

I think if everyone gets their money back if it doesn't fly, then not sure why it would be a problem. No one is being strong armed to contribute. To me, it's a way to possibly get ahold of a product that I may be on the fence about on the cheap. To my knowledge items like this are not raffled off that often. To get a pizza oven I may or may not be a fan of for 20 dollars is a very good thing. If I hate it, I sell it. There is no obligation to show it off on the site because it was purchased like anyone else would have. Obviously, if there is site activity it's great, but no need because it was not "given" to anyone.

I do think there should be a deadline on whether it's a go or not. Give it a month. If you are short everyone is refunded, and on to the next.

I think this is the perfect test dummy item too. It's relatively cheap, it's a non-standard item, and it's fairly shippable. If you get interest on a quirky item like this, I can almost guarantee that if you did a grill tickets would be sold.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:19:46 AM by Free Mr. Tony »

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »

It is and it is not!

Performance Testing and Product Review were different.  After being offered the Royall Unit to Performance Test by a Member, Larry and I agreed we would never do any other PT unless the Manufacture willingly participated.

The Product Reviews, all the ones I did were sent to me by the Manufacture and raffled off, all but the Stufz Patty Maker I believe and the Frogmats.  So that was a little of both.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. Whether the item is having a product review or being performance tested, the way I read it, the item is being sent to you by the manufacturer. In the scenario this thread is suggesting, you are purchasing the item yourself. The manufacturer is not sending you anything. That is the departure I am talking about, and in favor of. If a manufacture did not want you to do a performance test or a product review, they simply would not send you anything. In this particular case, Uuni has no option to decline the review.

The monetary logistics of buying and then trying to sell a unit is more then I ever want to consider.

No one suggested you buying and trying to sell anything. You would never purchase an item to be reviewed until you sold enough tickets to cover the cost of the item and the cost of the shipping to the raffle ticket winner. You would have the money from the raffle tickets prior to making any purchase. You are never trying to sell anything.

I was saying manually trying to keep track of who says they will buy tickets, who actually sent money for said tickets, associating the correct log in name with the actual real name / address for those tickets would be too cumbersome. You would need a way to purchase tickets instantly on-line to make it work.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:03:37 PM by slaga »
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 01:17:21 PM »

Good ideas, slaga.  I, too, would like to see it happen repeatedly.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »

I think this is a great idea though of by FMT and additional suggestions from yorkdude.  The idea of collecting a little extra to cover testing cost/ shipping etc. is also a great idea.  I would love to see this pan out where items are tested regularly and folks on this site can choose to participate in the raffles that interest them.  I know I would participate.  Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up