Poll: Would you participate economically in funding the purchase of a uuni3 pellet pizza oven for PF testing in return for a chance to win the oven

No
- 20 (27.8%)
Yes, if the raffle ticket price was $5 per chance
- 16 (22.2%)
Yes, if the raffle ticket was $10 per chance
- 19 (26.4%)
Yes, if the raffle ticket was $20 per chance
- 4 (5.6%)
Yes, price of raffle ticket does not matter
- 13 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by yorkdude on 20 Jan 2018
  • Count us in.
    Thanks to all. Can't wait to hear all the great ideas.
  • #47 by Bentley on 20 Jan 2018
  • I think this is just the way it came out.  And I think Kristin would agree with me...There are many on this site I have never met I would still trust...FMT just happened to volunteer...FYI.

Then there are people like Trooper, you have to watch like a hawk!

4.  Because he volunteered and because we know him personally, Free Mr. Tony will set up and run the paypal and notify us when all monies are received and the raffle is to be conducted.
  • #48 by Free Mr. Tony on 20 Jan 2018
  • I'm good with that. I will see what I can set up in the next day or two. I will also not put my name in the hat for the drawing, just so there are no questions as to honesty.
  • #49 by Trooper on 20 Jan 2018
  • I would probably participate in the testing drawing.
    But I have no more room for outdoor cooking machines.
    Thus, if I win, it may be a hassle trying to figure out who to gift it to.
  • #50 by Bobitis on 20 Jan 2018
  • I think this is all well and good *for the most part*.

This particular adventure has no interest to me, but I can see this as being a great way for members to get actual unbiased testing.
    As an example: Were I interested in a 'pick a price' widget, I'd gladly pay $x for an honest review and a chance to win said device. If I don't win; $x is worth it to me as I wouldn't have bought in to begin with.

Do you think this concept might make precedence for any future testing? ie, manufacturers not wanting to participate freely?
  • #51 by yorkdude on 20 Jan 2018
  • I'm good with that. I will see what I can set up in the next day or two. I will also not put my name in the hat for the drawing, just so there are no questions as to honesty.
    Best I can tell, if someone wants to question your integrity/honesty then in my opinion anyway, I would certainly not trust them. I for one WANT a person, like you to win it.
    Share a St. Louis style" crust, sauce pizza recipe with provel cheese. Googling it does not do it justice, I promise. My wife and I used to beat each other to the car to go to Frasiers Steakhouse in Scottsdale for the pizza or head 1 block down and grab something from DiFalcos deli. Oh man.
  • #52 by Timbo1010 on 20 Jan 2018
  • I'd would like to throw in my  :2cents: first I think it's a great idea, but I would do a preset number of tickets based on $ needed to be raised.  Say $400 = 40 chances or $1000 = 100 chances once the tickets are sold raffle is closed. If someone is really interested in a product they might buy as many tickets that they feel comfortable investing in the raffle. Example I'm not as intreasted in the pizza oven but I would buy a ticket, now if you did a new test on a cookshack charbroiler I'd probably buy 10 tickets. I'm just spit balling here and I believe new reviews will keep members engaged.
  • #53 by pmillen on 20 Jan 2018
  • Please remove my Yes vote at $20.  I vowed a few years ago to never again do anything that makes PayPal any money.  I won't even buy items with a credit card if PayPal does the processing.
  • #54 by Free Mr. Tony on 20 Jan 2018
  • The "pelletfanraffle@gmail.com" email has been setup with PayPal. It is ready to go. I can even send a link with a "/10", "/20" etc so that it automatically selects the amount when you go to the link.

The only thing we have to figure out is fees. It doesn't appear there is a fee when PayPal balance or bank accounts are used. The fee comes in when debit or credit is used. As long as that fee automatically goes to the individual giving me money then we are good. If it's my end I need to figure out what to add. Anyone know?

I did a dummy transaction between my wife and I. She paid me from what I believe is debit. I immediately and easily refunded her 10 dollars, and it did not charge either of us from the looks of it.
  • #55 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Jan 2018
  • I am not wedded to PayPal I just don't know anything about on-line purchasing of things like this.  I have to rely on those that do and that can run those systems effectively -- I can't.  So if there is some other system that folks are aware of and have experience with and can collect and refund money to debit or credit cards, I am all ears.

And FMT, I am not wanting to exclude you because you volunteered to run the money side, that is unfair.  If folks like, we can have them send me a PM once they have paid for a ticket telling me how many they bought and money sent.  I will then PM you and the sender asking for confirmation.  Seems to me that allies all fear and allows you to participate if you wish.
  • #56 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Jan 2018
  • The "pelletfanraffle@gmail.com" email has been setup with PayPal. It is ready to go. I can even send a link with a "/10", "/20" etc so that it automatically selects the amount when you go to the link.

The only thing we have to figure out is fees. It doesn't appear there is a fee when PayPal balance or bank accounts are used. The fee comes in when debit or credit is used. As long as that fee automatically goes to the individual giving me money then we are good. If it's my end I need to figure out what to add. Anyone know?

I did a dummy transaction between my wife and I. She paid me from what I believe is debit. I immediately and easily refunded her 10 dollars, and it did not charge either of us from the looks of it.

Maybe before we get this link up and running we should get the rules established.
  • #57 by Free Mr. Tony on 20 Jan 2018
    Best I can tell, if someone wants to question your integrity/honesty then in my opinion anyway, I would certainly not trust them. I for one WANT a person, like you to win it.
    Share a St. Louis style" crust, sauce pizza recipe with provel cheese. Googling it does not do it justice, I promise. My wife and I used to beat each other to the car to go to Frasiers Steakhouse in Scottsdale for the pizza or head 1 block down and grab something from DiFalcos deli. Oh man.

I certainly appreciate the sentiment, and would hope to get in a raffle down the road. I believe it would seem odd to some if it was my idea for the raffle, then I volunteer to do the finance, and ultimately walk away with a pizza oven for 10 dollars. Those that know me would vouch for me, but I would like people that haven't been around as long to feel comfortable getting in the mix. I do see it as a site growing opportunity, and would like new comers as well as old timers to trust the process. 
  • #58 by Free Mr. Tony on 20 Jan 2018

Maybe before we get this link up and running we should get the rules established.

Absolutely, just letting you know it's basically done on my end aside from a few small questions about fees. As small as this round would be,  if I screw up and have 15 dollars or something in fees I can live with that. I should be able to get it figured out, just wanted to get the account set up.

Once it's up and running,  I should be able to purchase the oven with the PayPal money, and have it shipped directly to you.

I have little experience in shipping large items so you guys are going to have to calculate a general amount to add in to the monetary amount to ship from your place to the winner.
  • #59 by Michael_NW on 20 Jan 2018
  • FMT, I believe PayPal fees are paid by the seller, which in this case would be your end.
  • #60 by Free Mr. Tony on 20 Jan 2018
  • FMT, I believe PayPal fees are paid by the seller, which in this case would be your end.

I think so on a business account, but it's less clear on a personal account. I'm not selling goods or services, so I set it up as personal. Like family and friends transferring money. The fees seem to be set up differently in that situation.
Pages:
Actions