Poll: Would you participate economically in funding the purchase of a uuni3 pellet pizza oven for PF testing in return for a chance to win the oven

No
- 20 (27.8%)
Yes, if the raffle ticket price was $5 per chance
- 16 (22.2%)
Yes, if the raffle ticket was $10 per chance
- 19 (26.4%)
Yes, if the raffle ticket was $20 per chance
- 4 (5.6%)
Yes, price of raffle ticket does not matter
- 13 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Jan 2018
  • Just so everyone knows, I just went to FedEx and entered our zip -- 22701 -- and a friend's zip in Bremerton, WA (which was about as far as I could think) and the weight of the pizza oven (which manufacturer says is 30 lbs) and it says shipping for the lowest rate is $65.  So a lot of money out of total for shipping.  Need folks to know that in case it makes a difference to vote.  Certainly means more tickets need to be sold.
  • #62 by Michael_NW on 20 Jan 2018
  • From what I've read, in order for someone to send $$ via PayPal to a friend or family, they also have to have a PayPal account. If they do and they fund the transfer with their PayPal balance or a linked bank account, then there is no fee. If the transfer is funded via credit card, debit card, or PayPal credit then the sender pays a fee, which, in the US, is currently 2.9%.

I think the take away here is that both the sender and recipient of the $$ need to have PayPal accounts.
  • #63 by Michael_NW on 20 Jan 2018
  • Just so everyone knows, I just went to FedEx and entered our zip -- 22701 -- and a friend's zip in Bremerton, WA (which was about as far as I could think) and the weight of the pizza oven (which manufacturer says is 30 lbs) and it says shipping for the lowest rate is $65.  So a lot of money out of total for shipping.  Need folks to know that in case it makes a difference to vote.  Certainly means more tickets need to be sold.

I was wondering about that. Shipping for possible future test units will be even more. Obviously, the heavier the item, the more it will cost. Thanks for looking that up.
  • #64 by SmokinPete55 on 20 Jan 2018
  • here's another option for payment  with no fees  https://www.zellepay.com/

fedex is probably the most expensive way to ship things .
    • SmokinPete55
  • #65 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Jan 2018
  • here's another option for payment  with no fees  https://www.zellepay.com/

fedex is probably the most expensive way to ship things .

I don't ship things so don't know who to use who would be available here in Mayberry.  I know we have a fedex in town. I think also a UPS.  If folks know of other options, I am happy to see if they are available here.  LA had lots of options -- a county with 50,000 not so many.

Just thought of a third one -- the Postal Service.  I thought they were probably the most expensive so did not check.

Note:  Just checked USPS.  They say $78, so guess there is one method more expensive than FedEx
  • #66 by Bentley on 20 Jan 2018
  • You can rethink this...or I will run it.

This and the general tone of where this is going is why I was not sure I wanted to do it.  But I also gave Kristin the nod to go with it, so will see where it ends up.

I will also not put my name in the hat for the drawing, just so there are no questions as to honesty.
  • #67 by Free Mr. Tony on 20 Jan 2018
  • You can rethink this...or I will run it.

This and the general tone of where this is going is why I was not sure I wanted to do it.  But I also gave Kristin the nod to go with it, so will see where it ends up.

I will also not put my name in the hat for the drawing, just so there are no questions as to honesty.

I truly don't mind doing it this way, and don't really need anymore cooking equipment anyway. Also, I don't believe anyone questioned anything. I was just squashing any thought of any collusion. I believe I can live broadcast the drawing. If I ask google assistant to pick a number between 1 and 30 it makes a few noises like a gameshow, then spits out a random number. I think it would be kind of fun that way.

As far as the plethora of opinions, I think it's just the way I (we) presented on this platform. I could have private messaged you, then you make an announcement that we are raffling off a pizza oven. Must have PayPal account, and be willing to pay fees for shipping and transactions. Would have been simpler, but I think we are good based on vote numbers. All you can do is go for it, and either scrap it next time if it doesn't work or tweak it for the better. I hope it works out. I think it will be fun for all.
  • #68 by SmokinPete55 on 20 Jan 2018
  • personally i don't feel that having the winner pay shipping costs is the way to go . just sell 40 tickets @ $10 .
    • SmokinPete55
  • #69 by Free Mr. Tony on 20 Jan 2018
  • personally i don't feel that having the winner pay shipping costs is the way to go . just sell 40 tickets @ $10 .

That's what I meant. I just meant so they were aware that it was included in the raffle price. Sorry for the confusion
  • #70 by Bentley on 20 Jan 2018
  • According to Kristin we are doing this, and that is why I could not figure out why you thought there was a conflict!

I have the camera from AR to do the broadcast and then there is www.random.org.  What we used on Pelletheads.

I believe I can live broadcast the drawing.
  • #71 by Kristin Meredith on 20 Jan 2018
  • OK folks, we discussed this and are willing to give it a go under these terms:

1.  The folks who think they will participate need to come up with the rules.  Need some consensus, not a 100% agreement.  I can start a new thread if you all want to post your recommendations.

2.  By rules I mean -- price of a ticket, how many tickets one person can buy, how long the tickets are for sale and any other areas you need to address.

3.  Total price -- you don't need to include money for pizza or pellets.  Bent would eat pizza every night I think.  So buying and making pizza has been part of this household for a long time.  You do need to make sure you have covered the cost of the pizza oven, any taxes and shipping to any location for the winner.

4.  Because he volunteered and because we know him personally, Free Mr. Tony will set up and run the paypal and notify us when all monies are received and the raffle is to be conducted.

5.  Bent and I will run the drawing for the winning ticket and will broadcast it live at a time we hope the majority can agree to.

Folks can post if they would like to proceed on these terms and I will start a "rules" thread.

This was my prior post about the "rules" under which we were willing to run this raffle.  Given rule no. 5, I don't see how anyone would think that you (FMT) could influence who the winner is.
  • #72 by Free Mr. Tony on 20 Jan 2018
  • OK folks, we discussed this and are willing to give it a go under these terms:

1.  The folks who think they will participate need to come up with the rules.  Need some consensus, not a 100% agreement.  I can start a new thread if you all want to post your recommendations.

2.  By rules I mean -- price of a ticket, how many tickets one person can buy, how long the tickets are for sale and any other areas you need to address.

3.  Total price -- you don't need to include money for pizza or pellets.  Bent would eat pizza every night I think.  So buying and making pizza has been part of this household for a long time.  You do need to make sure you have covered the cost of the pizza oven, any taxes and shipping to any location for the winner.

4.  Because he volunteered and because we know him personally, Free Mr. Tony will set up and run the paypal and notify us when all monies are received and the raffle is to be conducted.

5.  Bent and I will run the drawing for the winning ticket and will broadcast it live at a time we hope the majority can agree to.

Folks can post if they would like to proceed on these terms and I will start a "rules" thread.

This was my prior post about the "rules" under which we were willing to run this raffle.  Given rule no. 5, I don't see how anyone would think that you (FMT) could influence who the winner is.

As long as the general consensus is that they are good with that and it doesn't hurt the participation, I will not fight you guys any longer on it. Again though, I am more than OK with watching from the sidelines. I'm happy to see that it has neared fruition this quickly. I hope everyone has fun with it.
  • #73 by Goosehunter51 on 20 Jan 2018
  • Now this is interesting.
  • #74 by slaga on 21 Jan 2018
  • I am in the camp of "I don't have a PayPal account and will not get one". If it is set up so I can use a credit card to pay, I am in. If not, I will not participate.
  • #75 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Jan 2018
  • I've been traveling the last few days and just getting caught up on this.  I think it is a great idea and looking forward to participating.  Thanks FMT and Merediths for coming up with the concept.  Looks like a lot of folks are interested.
Pages:
Actions