Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PG 500 Chimney  (Read 1223 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
PG 500 Chimney
« on: January 21, 2018, 12:14:27 PM »

I have not had the pleasure of viewing this pit in person and have a question relative to cleaning out the chimney..It appears to be fixed to the pit and the 90º integral cap would prevent access to cleaning from the top..How does one go about cleaning the inside

of the chimney?  Why I ask is that my Traeger, after 5 years developed a rather large accumulation of extremely hard creosote just below midpoint in the chimney that had to be chiseled out.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: PG 500 Chimney
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 01:46:38 PM »

I've had my PG500 for about that long.  I'm not a heavy user so my build-up probably isn't as severe.

I suspect that it has creosote build-up, though.  Water vapor carrying creosote condenses on the stainless steel until the SS warms up and prevents it.  That deposited creosote is as hard as stone.  It's probably on the inside of the chimney, too.

I think that it's inconsequential.  The burn pot is as far away from the chimney as possible.  I don't think there's a risk of a chimney fire (unlike a home fireplace and the need for a chimney sweep).
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Canadian John

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 02:12:20 PM »

I've had my PG500 for about that long.  I'm not a heavy user so my build-up probably isn't as severe.

I suspect that it has creosote build-up, though.  Water vapor carrying creosote condenses on the stainless steel until the SS warms up and prevents it.  That deposited creosote is as hard as stone.  It's probably on the inside of the chimney, too.

I think that it's inconsequential.  The burn pot is as far away from the chimney as possible.  I don't think there's a risk of a chimney fire (unlike a home fireplace and the need for a chimney sweep).
I wasn't concerned about fires,rather than build-up eventually restricting air flow... My nature dictates preventative maintenance. I wish I has a more laid back approach.

Waffle860

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »

The cap on my PG500 is held in place with 3 screws and easily removable.  I am sure if needed I could put together some type of long handled scraper to clean the inside out. 

I have had my Traeger Lil Tex for about 5 years and don't have significant creosote build up.  Every year I put a rubber glove on and use paper towels to clean the grease from the inside.  The grease buildup gets pretty heavy if not cleaned yearly.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:09:03 PM by Waffle860 »

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »

When I had my PG500 the cap was also held in place with 3 bolts. I just assumed all of them are that way. I never cleaned out my chimney but it should be as easy as remove the screws and use a scraper.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 08:35:50 PM »

My PG500 is under a cover and some snow.  I don't want to uncover it to look right now.  But I don't recall bolts.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »

So more or less creosote created by hardwood or softwood?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2018, 09:22:12 PM »

So more or less creosote created by hardwood or softwood?

It's created when wood (or even coal, petroleum or gas) isn't completely burned.  I don't know if the hardwood/softwood distinction is relative to creosote production.

I've been reading about it off and on for a few years because it gets baked on my pit's stainless steel exterior and I'd like to know the easiest way to clean it off.  Creosote is in smoke as a gas.  It condenses at about 215°F to a liquid.  Further heating turns it into creosote tar.  The dark stuff we see in chimneys, on glass fireplace doors or preserving rope and wood is creosote tar.  We just call it creosote. 

Creosote tar is often black and shiny.  It'll sometimes flake off.
Paul

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2018, 09:34:03 PM »

And Kristin wonders why our chimney has not need to be cleaned in 4 years!  There is no incomplete wood burning in our fireplace.

It's created when wood isn't completely burned.

The dark stuff we see in chimneys, on glass fireplace doors or preserving rope and wood is creosote tar.  We just call it creosote. 
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:36:43 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 08:54:36 AM »

I found one of these at an Ace Hardware store and I use it to clean the chimney,the chimney inlet, and the grease drain channel/port. 

[ Invalid Attachment ]

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 09:11:51 AM »

Texasbrew, what is that thing intended for?  It looks like a panel rivet popper, like for some engine shrouds or upholstery.  But it also looks really long.
Paul

Canadian John

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:45 AM »

Texasbrew, what is that thing intended for?  It looks like a panel rivet popper, like for some engine shrouds or upholstery.  But it also looks really long.
Paul, It's a Big Green Egg grate scraper.

Canadian John

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 10:08:58 AM »

Back to the chimney, I didn't know the cap is removable ( 3 bolts ) , providing access for cleaning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up