Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by silverbullet on 21 Jan 2018
  • Sold my 2011 JB today. Sort of a bitter sweet day. Since I bought the DC I hardly used it in 3 years. 95% of the time I'm just cooking for 2. I'm going to be looking at the Daniel Boone & I've already looked at the Louisiana line up, LG700 & the CS450. I really like the flame zone cooking ability on the Louisiana's,
    So on to the next adventure!  :cool: :bbq:
  • #2 by RemoGaggi on 25 Feb 2018
  • I sold my JB a couple of months ago too.  I have a DC and a Mak 1-star.  I used the JB maybe once a year the last few years and when I did, I'd have to fight with it to get the food cooked the way I wanted.  The smoke quality (for me) on the JB was consistently disappointing and it seemed to cook a lot slower than my DC and Mak.  At the time, I was a little sad to sell it, but honestly, I haven't given it a second thought since I helped load it on the buyers truck. 
  • #3 by rwalters on 25 Feb 2018
  • I had to downsize big time last year due to our move (smaller cooking area in new backyard). I actually don’t miss having numerous cookers. Down to 2 and I am finding the simplified setup to be more enjoyable.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 25 Feb 2018

•  Simple and uncomplicated seems to fall more into favour for some of us more mature folks... It does for me. :D
  • #5 by silverbullet on 26 Feb 2018
  • I sold my JB a couple of months ago too.  I have a DC and a Mak 1-star.  I used the JB maybe once a year the last few years and when I did, I'd have to fight with it to get the food cooked the way I wanted.  The smoke quality (for me) on the JB was consistently disappointing and it seemed to cook a lot slower than my DC and Mak.  At the time, I was a little sad to sell it, but honestly, I haven't given it a second thought since I helped load it on the buyers truck.

I agree 100% JB did a fine job cooking Jerky and as you said seemed to cook slow with everything else. Load it up with Butts & it would take forever. By no means bashing the GMG JB.

3 racks of BB backs I would put on the JB & have to turn them end for end halfway through the cook.
    Put 3 racks on on my new Louisiana & I was surprised how evenly they cooked in less time without having to turn them. No second thoughts either.
  • #6 by Ralphie on 26 Feb 2018
  • I had a Chargriller Akorn (metal kamado from Home Depot) and sold it to a guy who said it was going to be his 12th grill/cooker/smoker is current operation. But it all made sense when he told me he is a welder hobbyist and fabricated 8 or 9 of his units. Hence is interest in the Akorn rather than a ceramic egg.
  • #7 by LowSlowJoe on 28 Feb 2018
  • I always thought it I was in the minority when it comes to wanting a modest size grill, as opposed to those who say... " Get the biggest grill you can afford ".

The problems I've seen in my quest to actually find the perfect grill for all occasions, is that many relatively large grills don't make efficient use of space inside.  Jim Bowie is maybe one of the exceptions to that rule though. Still, I was pretty sure from the start that I didn't really need a grill as big as the JB, so I never really spent much time looking at them.

Other big grills like a Traeger Texas, have proven to be basically two big for my three person family on most cooks and the cheap guy in me doesn't like to see one pork butt, or two racks of ribs in a grill the size of Texas...

Anyway,  I eventually got myself a Fast Eddy PG500... and for the most part I can cook anything I ever really need or want to cook on it. But...  There are times when it's too big too... Which is why I eventually bought a Davy Crockett.   Now, my Davy Crockett gets used for probably 90% of my cooks.

Even so , for me, there's very little reason, I need to get rid of a grill, because I have plenty of room in my back yard.  I am probably going to sell one or two of the grills I currently own, just because I really won't need them at all, and I figure I might be able to introduce someone to pellet grilling, by putting a couple of them up for sale on Craigslist at a good price.
  • #8 by silverbullet on 05 Mar 2018
  • I always thought it I was in the minority when it comes to wanting a modest size grill, as opposed to those who say... " Get the biggest grill you can afford ".

The problems I've seen in my quest to actually find the perfect grill for all occasions, is that many relatively large grills don't make efficient use of space inside.  Jim Bowie is maybe one of the exceptions to that rule though. Still, I was pretty sure from the start that I didn't really need a grill as big as the JB, so I never really spent much time looking at them.

Other big grills like a Traeger Texas, have proven to be basically two big for my three person family on most cooks and the cheap guy in me doesn't like to see one pork butt, or two racks of ribs in a grill the size of Texas...

Anyway,  I eventually got myself a Fast Eddy PG500... and for the most part I can cook anything I ever really need or want to cook on it. But...  There are times when it's too big too... Which is why I eventually bought a Davy Crockett.   Now, my Davy Crockett gets used for probably 90% of my cooks.

Even so , for me, there's very little reason, I need to get rid of a grill, because I have plenty of room in my back yard.  I am probably going to sell one or two of the grills I currently own, just because I really won't need them at all, and I figure I might be able to introduce someone to pellet grilling, by putting a couple of them up for sale on Craigslist at a good price.

I was one of those fellows who raved "You never hear of anyone complain because their grill is to big" Until I got a grill that was to big & like you I found myself using the GMG DC Most of the time.

I didn't have to go the Craigslist route to sell my Grill. I posted it on a "Guy's stuff for sale" FB page in my area. It was gone within a week.
  • #9 by Clonesmoker on 06 Mar 2018
  • For doing 1-3 briskets, a pizza, 6 pork shoulders, a couple of steaks, a whole chicken, or smoking bacon, my GMG DB is just the right size.
Pages:
Actions