Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Jan 2018
  • FMT, is there a book with good snack stick recipes that you use?  I didn't see that covered in the Sausage Making book on my quick flip through the table of contents and index.
  • #17 by Free Mr. Tony on 24 Jan 2018
  • FMT, is there a book with good snack stick recipes that you use?  I didn't see that covered in the Sausage Making book on my quick flip through the table of contents and index.

Not that I can think of really. I've only made them a few times, and forget where I got them from. Probably the internet I'm guessing, or I think I've just winged it a time or two. Pretty much the same process for the most part.

I did have to buy a smaller stuff tube. Not sure if I mentioned that here or another thread. My stuffer came with 3, and they were all too big for the small casing.

The only real tip I can give you with snacksticks that differs from sausage is to let the snacksticks shrivel versus dunking in ice water if you use the collagen casings. They are really paperery, and are hard to bite through if ice water bathed. They kind of meld together with the meat better if you let them shrivel. Another option if you don't want to do that is peel them afterwards.

The batch I made with an ice water bath,  I ended up peeling. They were still great.
  • #18 by GW208 on 24 Jan 2018
  • We've never tried the snack stick seasonings but we like the jerky and breakfast sausage seasonings from Hi Mountain. I would try one of their kits if you can't find a recipe.

https://www.himtnjerky.com/Snackin-Sticks-Kits/
    • GW208
Pages:
Actions