Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lumberjack Char-blend pellets  (Read 10336 times)

ScottWood

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Lumberjack Char-blend pellets
« on: January 22, 2018, 11:30:18 AM »

I am curious if anyone has any first hand experience with these pellets?  I have a bag out in the garage but haven't had a chance to cook with them yet.

The reason I am intrigued by these is that before I moved to pellet cookers I had an offset that I would use charcoal as my heat source and would put a piece of wood in from time to time for the smoke.  It worked great and I got a bit of a charcoal flavor that I really liked.  I am sort of hoping that I can replicate that with the char blend pellets?

I have been wanting to do a side by side cook, one brisket flat in one cooker with 100% hickory pellets, a second flat in another cooker with the char blend, and then compare the two.  I will of course post about that when it happens, but was hopeful that there might be some experience that could be shared here before.
Homemade pellet fired UDS with Smoke Daddy Hopper
Traeger Texas Elite (the big one)
Traeger Lil' Texas Pro (the small one)
Original PK Grill when I get the urge to use charcoal

ScottWood

Re: Lumberjack Char-blend pellets
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »

Thanks for the info.  What did you think of the flavor that was produced by the pellets?

ScottWood

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »

Personally that is up in the air, have not noticed much difference as of yet.

Also good to know, and sort of what I was afraid of.

ScottWood

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 01:45:52 PM »

I haven't had a chance to cook with them yet, but if the weather cooperates I will be doing so tomorrow.

I did load them up into my homemade pellet cooker yesterday and ran them for awhile.  Seemed to do a really good job of holding the temp I set them at.  Ran for about 4 hours at 225 degrees.

I have a brisket flat that I have cut in half.  Half will be going into the little Traeger with 100% hickory (my preferred) pellets and the other half into homemade UDS pellet cooker.  I am planning on doing a "blind" taste test with them with the help of the wife.

I will report back.

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 01:57:07 PM »

I've yet to notice a difference based on what pellets I use. It just doesn't seem to matter. My guests never care either.

Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

ScottWood

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »

I've yet to notice a difference based on what pellets I use. It just doesn't seem to matter. My guests never care either.

I noticed a big difference when I went to Lumberjack, and truly 100% hardwood pellets, from the "lesser" brands that used filler wood such as alder. 

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »

Fair point.

I've never used those. I've only ever used BBQ'ers delight, Lumberjack, or Cookin' Pellets.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

lamrith

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 02:36:55 PM »

Fair point.

I've never used those. I've only ever used BBQ'ers delight, Lumberjack, or Cookin' Pellets.
Yeah you have been using good premium brands so may not notice a big different.  hickory form any of those brands is all going to seem the same.

Also worth noting it was mentioned on the other site years ago, some people have a palet that can discern different smoke flavors well, many for not.

ScottWood

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 01:48:58 PM »

I did my test cook on Sunday, took a lot of pictures and notes, and can say without a doubt there is a difference in the smoke flavor between the 100% Hickory and the Char Blend pellets.  It was subtle, but still noticeable by both my wife and I.  The Char Blend had a bit more of the flavor I was looking for but as I said, it was subtle but enough that I think I will always keep a couple bags of them around for doing long cooks on briskets.

SJeP

• Using less gas.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:18:28 PM »

I did my test cook on Sunday, took a lot of pictures and notes, and can say without a doubt there is a difference in the smoke flavor between the 100% Hickory and the Char Blend pellets.  It was subtle, but still noticeable by both my wife and I.  The Char Blend had a bit more of the flavor I was looking for but as I said, it was subtle but enough that I think I will always keep a couple bags of them around for doing long cooks on briskets.
I'm glad to hear this. I have been using LB 100% hickory and am pleased with the amount of flavor and smoke. 

But I ordered 40 lbs. of the charblend and will be curious to see if I can tell a difference.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 07:15:44 PM »

Where are y'all ordering this from?
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

ScottWood

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 07:29:54 PM »

Where are y'all ordering this from?

I buy my Lumberjack pellets from a dealer here in Western Washington.

wilpark

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 08:57:27 PM »

I noticed a big difference when I went to Lumberjack, and truly 100% hardwood pellets, from the "lesser" brands that used filler wood such as alder.

To call alder wood a filler wood is unfair to alder and manufacturers that use alder.  Alder is 100% hardwood.   Many folks use alder as a very mild smoke wood for fish and chicken. Some use it out west because they have an abundance Alder.  Its  not my choice of smoking wood but its not filler.  Some manufacturers use alder and other wood species together because they burn better and help maintain heat in the pit.

ScottWood

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 05:29:13 PM »

To call alder wood a filler wood is unfair to alder and manufacturers that use alder.  Alder is 100% hardwood.   Many folks use alder as a very mild smoke wood for fish and chicken. Some use it out west because they have an abundance Alder.  Its  not my choice of smoking wood but its not filler.  Some manufacturers use alder and other wood species together because they burn better and help maintain heat in the pit.

I'm not sure that I can agree with you on this one.  If I am buying a "hickory" pellet I want it to be all hickory, not a mix of anything else.  If they are going to put alder, or oak out East, they should label it as such and call it a blend.  Just my opinion though.

wilpark

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »

I'm not sure that I can agree with you on this one.  If I am buying a "hickory" pellet I want it to be all hickory, not a mix of anything else.  If they are going to put alder, or oak out East, they should label it as such and call it a blend.  Just my opinion though.

I understand what you're saying when you want a specific species for cooking. Some add the oak or elder to keep price lower.
Some mixed woods also contain oak.  To call oak a filler is really not fair either.

Filler for me means no value whatsoever and is in there just to make up volume.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:34:51 PM by wilpark »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up