Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 31 Jan 2018
  • I understand what most are saying, I even under stand the "filler" comment, but yes, Alder is also a Hardwood.  So 60% Alder and 40% Hickory is a 100% Hardwood pellet...but yes, that is a long way from a 100% Hickory pellet! 

You can give me Oak wood to cook with any time!
  • #17 by lamrith on 31 Jan 2018
  • I understand what most are saying, I even under stand the "filler" comment, but yes, Alder is also a Hardwood.  So 60% Alder and 40% Hickory is a 100% Hardwood pellet...but yes, that is a long way from a 100% Hickory pellet! 

^^  YEEESSS.. 

It is a game a great many of the pellet makers play unfortunately and they are not being false or lying when they say 100% Hardwood.  It is just unfortunate that they put HICKORY in huge letters, then 100% Hardwood a little smaller when the pellet is actually a blend containing 40% or less Hickory and all the rest is Aalder or Oak.  Hickory Blend would be a much more upfront and less deceptive description.
  • #18 by ScottWood on 31 Jan 2018

^^  YEEESSS.. 

It is a game a great many of the pellet makers play unfortunately and they are not being false or lying when they say 100% Hardwood.  It is just unfortunate that they put HICKORY in huge letters, then 100% Hardwood a little smaller when the pellet is actually a blend containing 40% or less Hickory and all the rest is Aalder or Oak.  Hickory Blend would be a much more upfront and less deceptive description.

I used the term filler simply because the pellets that I was thinking about when I said that use other hardwoods than the flavor advertised on the bag.

As for that other hardwood, I suspect that I would much rather have Oak being in it than Alder, just my preference.  :-)
  • #19 by wilpark on 31 Jan 2018
  • Scottwood believe me I wouldn't want any species specific wood to contain anything but said hardwood either. Never tried Alder but from what people say I wouldnt want it. 

Now, oak,  as Bentley mentioned is welcomed any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• #20 by Bobitis on 31 Jan 2018
  • As we've gone way of course at this time...

If I were King, the bags would be labeled as to content just like food is.  The filler would be anything less than the most prevalent species by weight.
    60% oak and 40% hickory would make the hickory the filler.

Carry on.

• #21 by wilpark on 31 Jan 2018
  • As we've gone way of course at this time...

If I were King, the bags would be labeled as to content just like food is.  The filler would be anything less than the most prevalent species by weight.
    60% oak and 40% hickory would make the hickory the filler.

Carry on.
    You might be right. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• #22 by Goosehunter51 on 31 Jan 2018
  • Man I have been lazy and getting everything at Costco, even my pellets.  They carry the Traeger Gourmet Blend, which I do like.  But I really like cooking with Lumberjack, so I will head to the Bulk Yard tomorrow to buy some.

On another note I really did not like using Cooking Pellets, I believe it was the comp Blend.  Low BTU pellets.  I do know folks that like them, just not for me. 
  • #23 by Bentley on 31 Jan 2018
  • I like Alder too...But I have never met a Hardwood I did not like to burn...I mean I had never herd of Hackberry till 5 years ago.  I cut the stuff down ever month and burn it, it smells great! Wish I had a hammer mill and a pellet press...

Cookinpellets makes 100% Hickory and the Perfect Mix, but no competition blends...per say.
  • #24 by Goosehunter51 on 31 Jan 2018
  • You are correct it was the Perfect Mix.  Sorry for the mistake.
  • #25 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Jan 2018

hmm...I primarily use cookinpellets perfect mix and hickory.  Please explain your BTU issue a little more to help me understand what your issue was with them and which grill you are using them on.
  • #26 by Goosehunter51 on 31 Jan 2018

hmm...I primarily use cookinpellets perfect mix and hickory.  Please explain your BTU issue a little more to help me understand what your issue was with them and which grill you are using them on.

Long story, originally started having issues with my Traeger Texas being able to get to 350 degrees, went through all kinds of troubleshooting, ended up vacuuming out the rust under the fire pot and it did get better, but not much.  This led me to purchase a MAK II Star as I do like to cook at high temp at times.  Low and behold my new MAK had issues getting over 400 degrees.  Phone calls to MAK, I wasn’t very happy as it was supposed to get up to 500.  Problem was resolved when I switched to a Lumber Jack Blend that had Oak in it.  Also I donated my Texas to work and they told me that Temp was not an issue, they had switched pellets. 

In no way am I trying to denigrate Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix as they work awesome for low and slow.  They are a great pellet but did not meet my cooking style needs.  Actually they cost me $3,000 on a new pit, which I love, so a huge thank you to Cooking Pellets.
  • #27 by Goosehunter51 on 31 Jan 2018
  • Actually it was a moderator at the other site, back in the day, where I learned that the Perfect Mix Pellets do not burn as hot as others and that they should be used as slow and low.  I will not state his name as I am not sure if it is allowed here.
  • #28 by rwalters on 01 Feb 2018

Long story, originally started having issues with my Traeger Texas being able to get to 350 degrees, went through all kinds of troubleshooting, ended up vacuuming out the rust under the fire pot and it did get better, but not much.  This led me to purchase a MAK II Star as I do like to cook at high temp at times.  Low and behold my new MAK had issues getting over 400 degrees.  Phone calls to MAK, I wasn’t very happy as it was supposed to get up to 500.  Problem was resolved when I switched to a Lumber Jack Blend that had Oak in it.  Also I donated my Texas to work and they told me that Temp was not an issue, they had switched pellets. 

In no way am I trying to denigrate Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix as they work awesome for low and slow.  They are a great pellet but did not meet my cooking style needs.  Actually they cost me $3,000 on a new pit, which I love, so a huge thank you to Cooking Pellets.
    Interesting. I have a 2017 MAK 2 Star with the new Flame Zone as well. The only pellets I have burned are the Perfect Mix. I have done a ton of higher temp cooking (450°) and have never had an issue hitting that temp. Are you in a freezing cold climate?
  • #29 by lamrith on 01 Feb 2018

Interesting. I have a 2017 MAK 2 Star with the new Flame Zone as well. The only pellets I have burned are the Perfect Mix. I have done a ton of higher temp cooking (450°) and have never had an issue hitting that temp. Are you in a freezing cold climate?
    He was going for 500*+, many do not shoot for that high on a pellet rig so would not notice a slight BTU shortfall.  But that is where you will see any real btu differences show is that max temp region.
  • #30 by rwalters on 01 Feb 2018

He was going for 500*+, many do not shoot for that high on a pellet rig so would not notice a slight BTU shortfall.  But that is where you will see any real btu differences show is that max temp region.
    Gotcha! The only time I really need temps over 450° is for steak. That’s where the Weber kettle comes into play... 500°+ is child’s play on a kettle...lol.
Pages:
Actions