Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Canadian John on 23 Jan 2018
  •   A friend inadvertently left meat in his BBQ trailer for a couple weeks during the summer..The meat had gone mushy and the stench out of this world..It was so bad the trailer was almost scrapped..

It was saved by a good clean-up (the stench lingered ),followed with baking soda spread over all the horizontal surfaces and the doors shut..As I recall the baking soda was removed and replaced with new a couple of times..The result was no lingering smell -

none. The trick was to spread the baking soda over as much area as possible and replacing w/ new.

Please let us know your outcome.
  • #17 by ylr on 24 Jan 2018
  • Thanks, everyone, for responding; I basically had time to open the door (it's laying on its back) and swish the solution back onto all the surfaces. It was at "dead mouse" level of smell, which is an improvement. Today, I'll hose it out, and either go with the bleach route next, or the baking soda route.
  • #18 by jdmessner on 24 Jan 2018
  • Glad to see the problem was solved. If there is a need in the future, here is one more possibility. I ran this past my son who works at a funeral home. He said they use a product called "Smelleze" it is a natural embalming smell removal deodorizer. You can get a 2 lb. bag of it for $13 online at Walmart. Who knew?
  • #19 by DB on 25 Jan 2018
  • A estate sale guy told me that crumpled up newspaper works well . Stuff it full and close it. I have never tried it so     ?  As for skunk smell I bought a bottle of special soap at Petsmart that worked wonders for my dog.  It might work in the fridge also.
  • #20 by ylr on 26 Jan 2018
  • Yesterday, I sprayed a strong(I asked my wife, who uses it to disinfect counters, how much bleach in it, and she said "a lot") solution of bleach water in it, and left it in there overnight. I'll check it again this afternoon.

Glad to see the problem was solved. If there is a need in the future, here is one more possibility. I ran this past my son who works at a funeral home. He said they use a product called "Smelleze" it is a natural embalming smell removal deodorizer. You can get a 2 lb. bag of it for $13 online at Walmart. Who knew?

I Googled it, and it got mixed reviews at Amazon; don't think I'd want to chance the time and $.....I do appreciate yours (and everyone else's)  :2cents:, though!
  • #21 by Bentley on 26 Jan 2018
  • Right!  On to the important stuff, will it be used to hang sausage and to Dry and Wet Age Meat?  To cure Bacon?
  • #22 by WayneB on 26 Jan 2018
  • You can't get it out most of the time because it gets into the insulation in the walls of the unit.

Your best bet will cost $40 and is a product called AQM by OdorXIt. Here's a link to the vendor. odorxit.com/shop-now-odorxit-products
  • #23 by ylr on 26 Jan 2018
  • Wiped out the bleach in it with warm water, dried out the inner surface with paper towels, and plugged it in. Don't smell anything except bleach at this point, will put a paper plate with baking soda(bigger surface area to absorb odors) in it, and let it cool down overnight. Will check it tomorrow!

Right!  On to the important stuff, will it be used to hang sausage and to Dry and Wet Age Meat?  To cure Bacon?

In a freezer????

You can't get it out most of the time because it gets into the insulation in the walls of the unit.

Your best bet will cost $40 and is a product called AQM by OdorXIt. Here's a link to the vendor. odorxit.com/shop-now-odorxit-products

That's an "If all else fails" scenario. I have less than $5 invested in it all, so if can it get done cheap....... :cool:

Update: Wife brought home the baking soda, so I have two paper plates with 2 lbs. of baking soda sitting in the freezer. Will update tomorrow.
  • #24 by Bentley on 26 Jan 2018
  • Had refridge on my mine....
  • #25 by ylr on 26 Jan 2018
  • This is a small 4.5 cu.ft upright freezer that was my MILs. I have a small chest freezer in the house, so this will increase our extra freezer space by about a third.

• #26 by Bentley on 26 Jan 2018
  • I thought 4.5cu ft that is ridiculously small...the photo is of a 4.9...not small.

Will these be used to take advantage of meat specials?

• #27 by ylr on 27 Jan 2018
  • That's freakin' creepy, Bentley!   :o That's the Kenmore freezer we have! I guess it is a 4.9?  And yes, I hope to fill it with really cheap meat....

This morning, I went out and checked it, and NO SMELL!!! :cool: :cool: I had to turn it down(or is it up?) though, it was showing -10F. on the thermometer.
  • #28 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Jan 2018
  • Glad you resolved the issue and have new space for freezing meats.
  • #29 by Bentley on 27 Jan 2018
  • Comment I heard many times when 1st meeting woman...

Yeah, I personally have never found anything that can defeat a correct percentage of Chlorine Bleach!

That's freakin' creepy, Bentley! 
  • #30 by Ssteppe on 27 Jan 2018
  • Reminds me of a chest freezer we had in the garage for years. We had boxes piled on top and kind of forgot about it. One day we noticed it wasn't working - have no idea for how long, but it must've been months if not a year or more.
    When we opened it up, all we could see was a pool of black liquid in the bottom, and the stench was overpowering. We donned huge rubber gloves and took turns holding our breath and scooping plastic bags out of it. One must've been ribs, because the only thing left was bones.

It was so bad, we finally gave up and closed it back up. A couple of weeks later, the county was holding a "get rid of your old appliance" day at the county fairgrounds. So I borrowed my dad's truck and we loaded the freezer up.

After waiting in line, we pulled up to the unloading area and a couple of guys jumped into the back of the truck to unload the freezer for us. Unfortunately, they were trying to keep things moving along, and as they slid the freezer out the back, they let it tip onto one end, and the door opened, letting out all that black liquid putrescence.
    We were mortified, and as the two guys jumped out, we high-tailed it out of there.
    True story.
Pages:
Actions