Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 23 Jan 2018
  •  Yesterday, " wilpark " posted about the new L G 860 Estate ( youtube link )..As the controller looks to be the same as the Kuma and pre wifi Memphis, I was drawn to the comment on using the pellet prime button to bring the temperatures back more quickly after

the lid was opened and closed.. Not that it takes long to regain temps on the Memphis.. I would think it would take some getting use to, the timing and amount of pellets. 

Has anyone tried this and if so what were the results?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Jan 2018
  • I have never used the prime button and up until someone on here mentioned it a few weeks back didn't even know I had one.  May use it in cold temps to get some pellets in there faster.
  • #3 by ZCZ on 23 Jan 2018
  • Sometimes if its cold out I might throw in a few extra pellets by hand before I start the grill.
    Z
  • #4 by triplebq on 23 Jan 2018
  • I just use the prime button on my Grid Iron to get the unit started. When I open the lid and the temp goes down the controller just runs the auger to feed more pellets etc. Well I assume that is how it should work. I really don't pay much attention to it.
  • #5 by Mudflap on 23 Jan 2018
  • I would think most controllers do that already. Seems like a way to overload the fire pot. Person pushes button to dump more in and then the controller dumps more in also...

Can you use that function to clear the auger tube and refill when changing out pellet.

Mudflap
  • #6 by triplebq on 23 Jan 2018

• Can you use that function to clear the auger tube and refill when changing out pellet.

Mudflap

I don't see why not. Should work.
  • #7 by TravlinMan on 23 Jan 2018
  • Never had an issue on the Memphis, once heated, it recovers quickly - as long as pellets are in the hopper.
  • #8 by Bentley on 24 Jan 2018
  • Once my Memphis Pro has been on and at temperature for a while, its recover after being opened is pretty responsive.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 Jan 2018
  • Once my Memphis Pro has been on and at temperature for a while, its recover after being opened is pretty responsive.

Agreed, I suppose that may be due to it being so well insulated.
  • #10 by Conumdrum on 24 Jan 2018
  • My YS640 has good temp recovery since the walls are so thick.  And there is a prime button for pellets.  Living in a warm climate where I rarely cook under 40f (and use the cheapo welding blanket and moving blanket method) for an overnight cook I have never had to use it.  I can see some needing to add extra, but overfeeding can make a fiery mess.

I dunno, pellet smoker have limitations we all have to deal with.  And since a smoke is meant to cook for many longs hours a bit of a drop in temp is not a big deal.  Many pellet smokers have so many other fast cook features now that times are a changin for sure. 
  • #11 by Canadian John on 17 Feb 2018
  • Yesterday, " wilpark " posted about the new L G 860 Estate ( youtube link )..As the controller looks to be the same as the Kuma and pre wifi Memphis, I was drawn to the comment on using the pellet prime button to bring the temperatures back more quickly after

the lid was opened and closed.. Not that it takes long to regain temps on the Memphis.. I would think it would take some getting use to, the timing and amount of pellets. 

Has anyone tried this and if so what were the results?
    I have tried this several times and found there is no advantage to it. That was done mostly on cold winter days... My Pro is quick to recover from being opened, due in part to the controller and its programming.
Pages:
Actions