Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ScottWood on 24 Jan 2018
  • I just heard about this today at lunch when I was listening to a podcast and had to look it up.  I am curious if anyone here has any firsthand experience with it?  It also seems like something that might be able to be done without a huge amount of modifications to pretty much any existing pellet cooker?

Google it!
  • #2 by Bentley on 24 Jan 2018
  • Why do I want to turn my pellet pit into a stick burner...no thanks!
  • #3 by ScottWood on 24 Jan 2018
  • Why do I want to turn my pellet pit into a stick burner...no thanks!

Sorry about the link, as soon as I clicked on the post button I wondered if that was cool or not.

The reason I asked is that as long as I have been around forums that talk about pellet cookers people keep talking about ways to up the smoke flavor and this seems like an interesting way to do so.
  • #4 by Bentley on 24 Jan 2018
  • Never been one of those people so it has zero appeal to me.

The reason I asked is that as long as I have been around forums that talk about pellet cookers people keep talking about ways to up the smoke flavor and this seems like an interesting way to do so.
  • #5 by Bobitis on 24 Jan 2018
  • Here's another thread:

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=850.msg9461#msg9461

For the life of me, I don't see the novelty of this thing.

1) Why buy another heat shield when ya already have one?
    2) My drip pan is about 1-1/2" above the heat shield. No room for wood on top.
    3) What happens if that wood decides to go full flame?
    4) If I'm smoking at 225', is that gonna make the wood start smoking without any direct contact to a burning source?
    5) 180 bucks (cough-cough)?

Sorry, but my bottom dwelling Traeger Jr works just fine as is.  If I feel compelled to acquire more smoke, I'll take some lump outta the deck storage and toss it in the WSM with some apple wood. Been about 7 years since that happened.

I wish this man well, but it won't be on my dime. Way too many negatives in my opinion.
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 24 Jan 2018
  • I remember watching a video of pellet cookers he built, nice looking units, he had a door on the back to add wood if you wanted to.
  • #7 by ScottWood on 24 Jan 2018
  • Here's another thread:

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=850.msg9461#msg9461

For the life of me, I don't see the novelty of this thing.

1) Why buy another heat shield when ya already have one?
    2) My drip pan is about 1-1/2" above the heat shield. No room for wood on top.
    3) What happens if that wood decides to go full flame?
    4) If I'm smoking at 225', is that gonna make the wood start smoking without any direct contact to a burning source?
    5) 180 bucks (cough-cough)?

Sorry, but my bottom dwelling Traeger Jr works just fine as is.  If I feel compelled to acquire more smoke, I'll take some lump outta the deck storage and toss it in the WSM with some apple wood. Been about 7 years since that happened.

I wish this man well, but it won't be on my dime. Way too many negatives in my opinion.

Thanks for the link, interesting read.  To be honest, it does seem like a bit of a novelty, and I am happy with the smoke flavor I get from my pellet cookers, but it did peek my interest when I heard about it on the podcast I was listening to.  I like to think that I am fairly up on things when it comes to BBQ and pellet cooking, but it was the first time I had heard about it.
  • #8 by Twagsii on 31 Jan 2018
  • I got it for my GMG when it was $100.  If you want more of the hard wood smoke this does the trick.  Way better than amazin tube.
    • Twagsii
Pages:
Actions