Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PG 1000 sensitive to moisture  (Read 790 times)

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
PG 1000 sensitive to moisture
« on: January 25, 2018, 10:56:14 AM »

Let me first say that I don’t typically leave my grill exposed to rain, but there are times when it is raining or begins to rain before the grill is cool enough to cover and it gets rained on.     When this happens I am guaranteed that it will trip  my GFCI outlet and will continue to do so until it has had some time to dry out (a problem at this time of year).     Does anyone else experience this with their 1000 or even the PG500?    Wondering if I have a bad ground or some other issue that could eliminate this.    I replaced the ignitor in spring and I even replaced the outlet over the summer in case it was super sensitive, nothing has changed.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: PG 1000 sensitive to moisture
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 12:12:46 PM »

I had this happen to my FEC-120 about a year ago after we had some serious rain. The issue was the heating rod was moist/damp from all of the rain and caused my GFCI outlet to trip. I plugged my FEC into a non GFCI outlet and let the unit run for about 30 mins to dry the unit out. I never had the problem again. I never replaced my ignitor.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:24:30 PM by triplebq »
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Osborn Cox

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 01:16:49 PM »

Thanks for your input, I also have run an extension cord from inside the house (non GFCI outlet) to do the same thing in the past and it has worked too.    I may have to wait for a day when temps aren’t sub-freezing and do it again.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 08:24:35 PM »

would a hair dryer blowing on the rod help to remove the moisture?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Osborn Cox

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 08:56:40 PM »

I may give that a shot, or I have small electronics fan I may just set on top of the firepot to circulate some air at least.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »

I use my PG500 in rain and snow.

I often leave it uncovered longer than I should.

I know what you're thinking, "It has electrical components.  You'll earn a Darwin award."  Not a hiccup in six years.

Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up