Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lignetics Pellets  (Read 1254 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Lignetics Pellets
« on: January 25, 2018, 07:31:59 PM »

Anyone on the East Coast use these for your grill?

My uncle uses them in his pellet stove and says they are the cleanest burning pellets that he has used in years.  I bought a couple of bags for $0.20/# to use when I attempt to burn off my grill with the ramp up of temps to burn any grease off.  I am hoping a less expensive more efficient burning pellet will work well.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Lignetics Pellets
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 07:53:01 PM »

I burned some green bag lignetics before I got into the pellet cooker things and they worked well in my heater. Not sure if they still have different pellets or not, I know there used to be Blue bag ones also, not sure of the difference.

See if the bag has a place they are made, as I believe they used to have several facilities. Call and speak with the people there and ask what wood is used and where it is sourced and how the dies are lubed if needed, most seem to use a vegetable oil, if you are okay with the answers and try a bag, watch them burn in the burn pot a bit and look for the flame, I think you would be able to see impurities as they burn.

I use Hamer's Hot ones in my cookers with good results, they are an oak pellet.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 07:57:31 PM »

there east coast plants are said to be 100% hardwoods per their website
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 08:30:04 AM »

the best thing I could offer is to call and talk with people at the manufacturer, I have spoken with a few, and I am satisfied with their responses and believe them so I use heating pellets most of the time.

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:05:54 PM »

I trust that 100% hardwood means just that.  I wouldn't have any issue cooking with any hardwood pellets be it heating or "made specifically" for pellet grills or smoking.  Ive used wood from a wood pile thats been hanging outside for years to cook things over an open flame.

Ive used about 5 different brands of 100% hardwood heating pellets and didnt have issue with any of them.  The burn fine, taste fine and no one has ever gotten sick.  But there is something to be said about species specific pellets if you want that hickory, mesquite, cherry, etc flavor and color to your meat.

as far as being a safe source of heat and wood fired flavor.  Im all about finding good heating pellets.

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 10:10:50 PM »

Hey BBL.... I am pretty new to the pellet cooking life, so I have only used pellets made "specifically" for pellet grills.  I am out in near Clinton NJ, so relatively not too far from you.  PM me if you are ever interested in sharing a pellet buy. 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 10:36:11 PM »

Hey BBL.... I am pretty new to the pellet cooking life, so I have only used pellets made "specifically" for pellet grills.  I am out in near Clinton NJ, so relatively not too far from you.  PM me if you are ever interested in sharing a pellet buy.

It may be awhile.  I think I have about 800# right now.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 07:29:57 AM »

If you are thinking of using "heating pellets", why not try ONE bag to evaluate..If they are truly 100% hardwood you will be fine..If for whatever reason you don't like them you won't have much invested.... I have been using locally a manufactured 100% hardwood blend for over 6 years; absolutely no problems, and costing $5.50/40 lbs!..No way can I justify paying $22.00/ 20lbs for food grade pellets.. I wouldn't be using my pellet pit paying over $1.00/lb...  Frankly, most of us can't tell the difference in the smoke or smoke flavour between the two..

Pages: [1]   Go Up