Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do You Have an Auger Fire?  (Read 12160 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: How Do You Have an Auger Fire?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 11:18:02 AM »

Bar-B-Lew you should not have this issue on your Memphis as the pellets slide down a ramp or chute eliminating the connection between your burn pot and your auger tube or hopper

I also have a MAK 2, Traeger XL, and Blazn Grand Slam.  The MAK has a 20 minute shutdown cycle.  I don't believe my Traeger has a shutdown cycle and I know the Blazn doesn't.  I guess I will keep the lid open when I turn them off to ensure that those two units never have the issue.  I have not had an issue to date, but I have been reading about people who will not buy a pellet grill if it isn't a chute style which didn't quite make sense to me.
I would not leave the lid open during shutdown.  That allows more oxygen to feed the fire.  On the GS, when you flip the switch to off, when the temp is above 240, the fan stays on until the temp reaches 240, then shuts off, so no fresh air is fed to the fire pot.  If you open the lid more oxygen gets to the fire pot as air is drawn thru the quiet fan and up thru the pot.  I realize that the chimney is still open but with the lid closed, much less air gets in.  With the new shut off algorithm in the GS, you will see a couple of charred pellets in the mouth of the auger tube after successful shut down, but no fire (usually).  And for sure do not open and leave open the hopper lid during a cook.

I have a 5+ year old controller in the Blazn I have and do not have the shutdown mode, and the fan shuts off when the controller shuts off.  Back to the old conundrum of should I sink more $ into this used pit not being sure I am keeping it or not.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 11:30:15 AM »

I have a 5+ year old controller in the Blazn I have and do not have the shutdown mode, and the fan shuts off when the controller shuts off.  Back to the old conundrum of should I sink more $ into this used pit not being sure I am keeping it or not.

I'm sure I'm wrong but I believe the new shutdown mode is a re-program. Now I don't know if your controller supports this but I would call Tim @ Blaz'n and ask. All he can say is no you need a new controller. But you never know.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »

I'm sure I'm wrong but I believe the new shutdown mode is a re-program. Now I don't know if your controller supports this but I would call Tim @ Blaz'n and ask. All he can say is no you need a new controller. But you never know.

Thank you.  The LED doesn't work properly on my controller either.  Old Traeger style controller.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 04:10:21 PM »

RE: SHUT DOWN. For pits that don't have a shut down cycle, one can be added by routing power thru a switch to the fan. Simply flip the switch with the pit controller off and run FAN ONLY mode. Most of the timed shut down cycles are programmed for 10 minutes..Leaving the manually operated  fan on longer won't hurt..Some times I left my fan run ~ 1/2 hr on my Lil Tex.

If you do it ,purchase the matching connectors and make insert harnesses. That results in no wire cutting or wire stripping and splices..Make sure to use a fused ( 2 amp is plenty) to supply the switch.

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 01:41:04 AM »

Not trying to hijack from original question of "what causes a auger fire", but what I do to prevent a auger / hopper fire.
My controller has a shut down mode. (SS) It takes temperature down to 120 before shutting off.
I also have a ash dump. Whenever I dump ashes I put 1/2 to 1" water in dump cup before reinstalling.
When shutdown has or is near end of cycle I pull lever to dump whatever is still in fire pot.

Overkill? Maybe. But it gives me the warm and fuzzies.

triplebq

• If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 08:05:40 AM »

Overkill? Maybe. But it gives me the warm and fuzzies.

This is all that matter.
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up