Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by SmokinHandyman on 27 Jan 2018
  • #2 by Bentley on 27 Jan 2018
  • It is commendable they are trying to raise awareness of Wi-Fi neutrality!
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Jan 2018
  • I am quite surprised that any large company would take a side in a political issue with an ad campaign.

On a side note, I like that commercial where the guy takes a bite our of every pizza slice he serves and calls it a "fee".
  • #4 by Canadian John on 27 Jan 2018
  •  That just blows me away..Perhaps a two year old would be taken in.
  • #5 by ArborAgent on 27 Jan 2018
  • That just blows me away..Perhaps a two year old would be taken in.

This is one of those issues that makes me realize I live in a bubble. I work for one of the top tech companies, my wife works for another one. Nobody in our sphere questions why net neutrality is a good thing. Why internet service without the protections are bad. We look at Portugal as an example of the worst possible outcome for the ability to innovate (https://qz.com/1114690/why-is-net-neutrality-important-look-to-portugal-and-spain-to-understand/).

I can understand not caring, but for the life of me, I can’t understand in an environment like ours where broadband internet is not an open and competitive market (few people have more than one choice in internet providers) why there are so many people celebrating the end of the protections net neutrality offered.

• #6 by dk117 on 27 Jan 2018
  • There's a lot of confusion here.  If you have experience with MPLS, multi-protocol-label switching, you know not all packets are equal on the internet.    You're generally not going to notice that your email came in three seconds late because a voice call or video call was trumping it  COS1 vs COS 3/4. 

The furor around ending net neutrality is people assuming this will lead to content censoring by telecommunication companies.   I understand the fear, but that is not the goal.   These telecommunications companies have spent billions building out the internet for you.  Now you have to pay.   100MBPS, $50 a month.   1GPS $100 per month, whatever it might be.  You pay for what you receive just like any other commodity in the marketplace. 

All internet traffic that is and was has never really been treated the same.   Telecoms maximize profit.  If there is collusion around content, then we'll go back to regulation, until such time, nothing has changed.

DK
    • dk117
  • #7 by triplebq on 27 Jan 2018
  • There's a lot of confusion here.  If you have experience with MPLS, multi-protocol-label switching, you know not all packets are equal on the internet.    You're generally not going to notice that your email came in three seconds late because a voice call or video call was trumping it  COS1 vs COS 3/4. 

This is true for a private service (intranet). Not on the internet as there is no QoS (Quality of Service). Service Provider A is not going to place my voice/video traffic over your data traffic. As you know MPLS circuits are quite expensive compared to an typical internet connection you get from your cable provider. This is why you see MPLS circuits for business and not home users.

Telecommunication companies have spent millions of dollars so they can make billions. Net Neutrality means everyone has equal access to the internet. You currently pay for how fast you want to connect to the internet, not how fast your data moves through the internet. 

To me the Burger King commercial was an excellent way of explaining what Net Neutrality is about.
  • #8 by pmillen on 27 Jan 2018
  • The end of net neutrality is a way for rich people to get richer.  It's as simple as that.
  • #9 by Bentley on 27 Jan 2018
  • What I do not understand is why me living 5 miles outside of Mayberry, my internet is $115/month, and that only gets me 50GB, not unlimited and only about 12/6mpbs.  And the folks living literally 5 miles away in Mayberry not only get unlimited internet, but Cable and phone for $89/month for 2 years and there's is like 50/25mpbs!
  • #10 by triplebq on 27 Jan 2018
  • The end of net neutrality is a way for rich people to get richer.  It's as simple as that.

I believe you are correct.
  • #11 by triplebq on 27 Jan 2018
  • What I do not understand is why me living 5 miles outside of Mayberry, my internet is $115/month, and that only gets me 50GB, not unlimited and only about 12/6mpbs.  And the folks living literally 5 miles away in Mayberry not only get unlimited internet, but Cable and phone for $89/month for 2 years and there's is like 50/25mpbs!

I just received a notice from Spectrum/Time Warner Cable saying my bill is going up another $5.00 a month. It just went up $5.00 after the merger went through. I guess when you have a monopoly you can do this.
  • #12 by ylr on 28 Jan 2018

Do you have Satellite? Hughesnet has 25 mbps for $100 now. I can't use it because the kids stream too much xxxx, so I'm stuck with At&T DSL at 3Mbps(top speed) at $51!  :( :( :( They can get 50 via cable for $60 in Lewisport, 4 miles away which, I can't get because they are in a different county.  :'(
  • #13 by Trooper on 28 Jan 2018
  • Sorry, didn't get much out of it.
    Fascinating that in rehearsed programing they have people say xxxx so the they can then bleep it out.
    Classy
  • #14 by Craig in Indy on 28 Jan 2018

Ha! I'd kill for 12/6 mbps. We pay about the same amount you do, Bentley, for AT&T U-verse here in Indy and on a very good day I get consistent 1.5/1 mbps. Most of the time that's only achieved after a wait of about 30 seconds to make any kind of connection to any external speed testing site, or any website for that matter. Videos routinely stop to spool over and over again, or they downgrade to resolutions of 240 or so, making them virtually unwatchable. Youtube is pointless, and just forget about things like Netflix, they just don't work.
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Jan 2018
  • Wow!  Didn't realize how bad people have it.  I pay $70/month before taxes for 100/10mbps.  And sometimes I wish I paid the extra $20/mo to get 150/10
Pages:
Actions