Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by silverbullet on 27 Jan 2018
  • A few weeks ago my Bride looked in on my spice/rub cupboard & asked me when I was going to clean it out. I started this pellet BBQ thing 10 years ago and accumulated quite a collection of spices & rubs over the years.
    Some of them were so old they were like a powered paste in the jar. Some weren't even open!

All said & done I emptied 28 Jars & bottles of spices, rubs & sauces, 4 more I didn't dare open and a box of Traeger sample rubs & got when I bought my Traeger back in 2008.

Now the cupboard has all kinds of room for another 10 years of fun! And the Bride is happy, Life is good!

Anyone else into pre spring cleaning?
  • #2 by Darwin on 27 Jan 2018
  • I did the same thing last summer.  I tossed out everything that was expired, close to it and anything that didn't look its best.  Everything was nice and organized with lots of free space.  That didn't last long.  I like to go to ethnic markets and I bring home new things to play with.  Frequently I can't read the label, I just go by the picture.  I'm also not good at remembering what I already have at home.  Just now I was looking for my kashmiri chilli powder and I found 3 bags of gochugaru and a bag of Allepo chilli flakes.    :rotf:
  • #3 by ZCZ on 28 Jan 2018
  • Indeed, I need to get around to cleaning mine out as well.  Will be a lot of money going into the trash.  Either I need to rethink this and limit myself to only a few or cook more often.  Retirement is just around the corner so suspect I will have more time for the latter.
    Z
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Jan 2018
  • I usually just take all of those rubs and throw them all in a big plastic pretzel container or something like that and mix them all together.  Use them as a base for rubs down the road rather than throwing them out.  Or consolidate like things into the larger spice containers that you buy a spice in at Sam's.  I save a lot of those empty containers for those reasons.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 28 Jan 2018

• Used to purchase new (to me) rubs to find most ended up as just OK and never used again. I keep coming back to my "Basic Rub", SPG, Lemmon

Pepper and Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom.  Just did a clean out of several old unused rubs last week even though it isn't Spring..

Now I try to go thru my collection of cooking related items and eliminate any not used in the least 12 to 14 months..I just don't want to leave a

legacy of items for someone else to deal with. 
  • #6 by hughver on 28 Jan 2018
  • I'm going to let my heirs do it.  :cool:
  • #7 by BigDave83 on 28 Jan 2018
  • I am one of those that likes to just empty partial containers into a bigger container and make a once in a lifetime rub and use it up on things.
  • #8 by Michael_NW on 28 Jan 2018
  • I am a minimalist; my wife is a maximumist (?). Our spice cabinet, like the rest of our home, reflects the yin yang of our relationship. Don't ask me how it works, but it does wonderfully.
Pages:
Actions