Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by hughver on 29 Jan 2018
  • I got a 2.4lb Chuck that I am trying when I get back from CA.  I am told it should go 36 hours.  I do not understand why that long, but will give it a go!

It depends a lot on the temperature. The inter connective tissues begin to dissolve and pasteurization begin at 130°. If you want it done in 6 hours, cook @ 190° (estimate), IT when done will be 190° and meat will be fall apart well done like most chuck roast. However, cook it at 132° for 36 hours and the IT when done will be 132°, medium rare with steak like texture. The flavor is vastly different, higher heat diminishes flavor.  :2cents:
  • #62 by Free Mr. Tony on 29 Jan 2018
  • If you want an even less scientific way to do this Bentley, a cooler filled with tap water works as well.

I remembered watching this a few years ago. About the 3 minute mark he starts talking about it. Then there is a bunch of yapping in between. You can fast forward to the good parts if you are interested.

https://youtu.be/-25TCeTo730

The gist of it is put hot water in a cooler. Every so often you will have to add a little hot water, but that's it. Same deal without any electronics other than a thermapen. You could probably dangle a probe in there to know better when to add water.
  • #63 by LTS on 29 Jan 2018
  • So what I am hearing is I need to brine my meat before I sous vide it!

NOPE no need to brine  I sous vide alot of stuff best so far is salt and pepper, a little garlic powder and some onion powder and a fresh sprig a tyme ........Delish
  • #64 by pmillen on 30 Jan 2018
  • I got a 2.4lb Chuck that I am trying when I get back from CA.  I am told it should go 36 hours.  I do not understand why that long, but will give it a go!

Raw & seasoned.

Last summer was the last chuck I SVd.  Two were cooked at 140°F for 30 hours and they were pretty darn good.  There was a soup bowl of jus available for those who wanted it over their beef.  The remainder could've been made into sauce.  I didn't feel the need to sear them, they were plenty dark and looked appetizing.

Here's the downside to that cook—the beef came out of the water oven at 140°.  It was sliced and served family style under a ceiling fan gently blowing down.  It was soon much cooler than 140°, cooler than I care to eat.  My guests didn't comment on it, but I think they were too polite to do so.

How do sous-vide users keep food at the table at a good serving temperature?  Do they employ some type of hot plate or chafing dish?
  • #65 by Chris__M on 30 Jan 2018
  • Are you resting the meat before serving, by any chance? Apologies if you already know this, but there is no need to rest after cooking, it will just cool the meat down. You want the meat to come out of the bath and onto the table as quickly as possible (probably with a quick sear on the way).

Heated serving plates and dining plates also help.
  • #66 by pmillen on 30 Jan 2018
  • Are you resting the meat before serving, by any chance?

No, but seating a group, pouring wine and dishing up takes more time than a small family meal.

You want the meat to come out of the bath and onto the table as quickly as possible (probably with a quick sear on the way).

A sear would have provided some browning flavor but it was the right color without it.  Not like chicken breast that's cooked perfectly, thick and thin portions, but needs the sear for appearance.

Heated serving plates and dining plates also help.

I've neither heated nor chilled dinner plates but it's a good suggestion.  Somewhere around here we have a heated serving dish (wedding present 53 years ago).  It's metal with a candle under it.  I wonder if I can locate it.
  • #67 by Bentley on 30 Jan 2018
  • Wonderful news since the Rival Slow cooker maintains that temperature.  OK then, this is the benchmark when I get back from the trip.  Maybe 45 seconds in the Uuni...Just kidding!

I cant imagine being able to even chew a piece of Chuck pot Roast that has pink in it without hurting my jaw...I am very much looking forward to this!

I got a 2.4lb Chuck...I am told it should go 36 hours.
    Last summer was the last chuck I SVd.  Two were cooked at 140°F for 30 hours and they were pretty darn good.
  • #68 by hughver on 30 Jan 2018
  • How do sous-vide users keep food at the table at a good serving temperature?  Do they employ some type of hot plate or chafing dish?

I use a chafing pan set to real low and heated dishes. I sear with a large butane torch.
  • #69 by LowSlowJoe on 30 Jan 2018
  • Not cheap... but has anyone ever done something like this in one of those Insta Pot things?   will they hold a temperature evenly over a long period of time like that?
  • #70 by pmillen on 30 Jan 2018
  • I cant imagine being able to even chew a piece of Chuck pot Roast that has pink in it without hurting my jaw...I am very much looking forward to this!

Here's one that was seared.
  • #71 by glitchy on 01 Feb 2018
  • I've tried several different types of steaks SV, everything from choice flat iron to Prime strips from Costco. My take is about the same as Bentleys, tender yes, as flavorful no.

I often season mine with Montreal steak and put some olive oil in the bag and cook 1-2 hours sous vide depending on the thickness. The Prime strips I seared over an open charcoal grill for a couple minutes per side flipping every 30 seconds or so and they were spectacular steaks, but mostly because they were Prime strips. Steaks are definitely more tender sous vide. However, I've also had some relatively flavorless steaks from SV too. I cooked some flat irons on my gasser last night (which I rarely use anymore but was in a big hurry) and they had more flavor than several SV steaks I've cooked.

I've seared different SV steaks in a skillet, on the gasser, on the pellet grill with grillgrates, etc. all with pretty similar results flavor wise. Would I buy another SV cooker? I love trying every cooking gadget, but I'm not sure I would. I bought it trying to match the $50 ala cart Prime steakhouse steak, but haven't found that yet. However, I haven't tried the other stuff I probably should like veggies, chicken, and roasts. Maybe then I'll like it more. Maybe the right pieces of meat that have more natural flavor would be better. I am tempted to try to use it to make Steak DeBurgo since that's more about the sauce than the cook flavoring the steak. Maybe I need at a lower temp via SV and cook longer on a grill after?
  • #72 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Feb 2018
  • I've tried several different types of steaks SV, everything from choice flat iron to Prime strips from Costco. My take is about the same as Bentleys, tender yes, as flavorful no.

I often season mine with Montreal steak and put some olive oil in the bag and cook 1-2 hours sous vide depending on the thickness. The Prime strips I seared over an open charcoal grill for a couple minutes per side flipping every 30 seconds or so and they were spectacular steaks, but mostly because they were Prime strips. Steaks are definitely more tender sous vide. However, I've also had some relatively flavorless steaks from SV too. I cooked some flat irons on my gasser last night (which I rarely use anymore but was in a big hurry) and they had more flavor than several SV steaks I've cooked.

I've seared different SV steaks in a skillet, on the gasser, on the pellet grill with grillgrates, etc. all with pretty similar results flavor wise. Would I buy another SV cooker? I love trying every cooking gadget, but I'm not sure I would. I bought it trying to match the $50 ala cart Prime steakhouse steak, but haven't found that yet. However, I haven't tried the other stuff I probably should like veggies, chicken, and roasts. Maybe then I'll like it more. Maybe the right pieces of meat that have more natural flavor would be better. I am tempted to try to use it to make Steak DeBurgo since that's more about the sauce than the cook flavoring the steak. Maybe I need at a lower temp via SV and cook longer on a grill after?

This comment is coming from someone who doesn't have a SV machine and never eaten a piece of food from one.  I flipped through a book on the Amazon Kindle app last night about SV cooking and recipes.  Some look like adding spices with the meat may work again hard to tell without doing it and eating it.  Others look like meat is SV and then incorporated in some manner into a meal where it may pick up additional flavors after the cook via searing or sauteeing.  I have another book coming this week that I want to read through.  I may end up buying a SV to incorporate into the arsenal probably more so for use during the winter than at any other time, but also maybe for cooking vegetables too.  If Bentley didn't start this thread, I would have continued to be unaware or even uninterested in the method.  Now I am intrigued.
  • #73 by LTS on 01 Feb 2018
  • I did a Brisket just a while back, cold smoked on the pro for 3 hours then I salt and pepper a little garlic powder on the brisket before sealing,SV for 35 hours at 155 degrees when done i threw it on my 550 degree pellet pro and also hit he outside with a flame thrower (think old style weed burner) until a little burnt crust formed on the outside, really was some of the best brisket I have made, took it to work and everyone there REALLY liked it also.

It was easier than the whole smoking,pan,foiling,thing but did not have that deep smoke flavor but it had GREAT flavor

LTS 

• #74 by hughver on 01 Feb 2018
  • Now I am intrigued.

Welcome to the club. When combined with pellet smoking, I think we have the best of both worlds.
  • #75 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Feb 2018
  • Now I am intrigued.

Welcome to the club. When combined with pellet smoking, I think we have the best of both worlds.

I wonder if I will be able to use my camp chef griddle to sear.
Pages:
Actions