Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

What product would you like to see members purchase and have evaluated/reviewed?

Griddle
- 22 (31.4%)
Sous vide macine
- 15 (21.4%)
Vertical smoker (like a Pit Boss)
- 33 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: FINAL Poll for Next Product Purchase  (Read 2397 times)

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: FINAL Poll for Next Product Purchase
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 09:27:39 AM »

Would it be too much trouble to have the item raffled off before purchasing and having the item shipped to the winner for such a larger item.  And have the winner do the testing as per Bentley's protocol within a  reasonable amount of time.  Killing 3 birds with 1 stone

1. Not having to ship to Bentley/Kristin
2. Not tying Bentley to do every test (unless you like doing it)
3. Not having to ship it out again to the winner

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2018, 03:02:35 PM »

No I will continue doing these Product Review.  I want some control over that and I don't know everyone, so I do not know if there might be bias I don't want the Site or Members to have to deal with.

Now having said that.  An example I will give is the Uuni.  We have a section for MEMBERS to do Product Reviews.  We have had 2 Members do excellent Reviews (I guarantee there is no reason to do another Product Review of the TSM Cutting Board, Smoke or Fireboard).  We had a Member on here that had a Uuni, I don't know how long, but I know they had it before YOU ALL bought the one to be Reviewed on this site.  Why they choose to come on while I am out of the State and want to post video of how the unit operates I don't know.  Why not just do a MEMBER Product Review? Maybe because they are time consuming and require some planning and thinking.  What I did know is that made no sense to me, and looked like they were trying to interfere with a Review that was upcoming.  They simply could have DONE a Product Review and if they had taken the time to follow the Protocol the site asks for like Bar-B-Lew and LowSlowJoe I am sure would have been very good and I would not have had to do the Uuni and we could have moved to another product.

I did not have access to a computer at the time, so my posting was quite limited at the time.  I am sure I came across as quite blunt, which is neither here nor there to me...But I now get a chance to explain why I made those remarks and why I do not want "these" Member funded Product Reviews done by Members.

Hope that answers your question and also why I acted they away I did in regards to the Uuni Product Review!

Would it be too much trouble to have the item raffled off before purchasing and having the item shipped to the winner for such a larger item.  And have the winner do the testing as per Bentley's protocol within a  reasonable amount of time.  Killing 3 birds with 1 stone

1. Not having to ship to Bentley/Kristin
2. Not tying Bentley to do every test (unless you like doing it)
3. Not having to ship it out again to the winner
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:24:51 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »

We have no guarantee that, once someone has received a product at a fraction of what it would cost them to purchase that:  (1) they would ever do a review;  (2) they would do a review following the protocol or do a thorough review. 

I know I sound harsh, but in my experience folks just don't take things as seriously when they haven't had to pay the full freight. That's why I am ok with a member review of a product which we have pre-approved and they have paid for.  The member had to put some  significant cash in to get a product and then has decided to invest more effort in the review which they do voluntarily, not because they are required to as the by-product of winning a drawing.

wilpark

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »

Both very good points. Just figured it might free up some work for you guys.   I love the reviews. Just feel bad for all the work that goes in.

Thank you both for your efforts inbring this quality site.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 04:15:38 PM »

Sure could use a vertical unit right now!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 11:58:16 PM »

I voted griddle before reading the rest of the thread, and had no idea that griddles of that size were being sold. I was thinking "griddle" from days gone by when I was a kid. you know, lil' camping griddle with a grease channel around the outside edge.

Again, not the sharpest knife in the block!
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Goosehunter51

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2018, 03:46:58 PM »

The griddle is coming on strong.
Smokin like a two stack MAK come on!  MAK 2 Star General #3053

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2018, 07:49:35 PM »

Sorry, I have been slammed with 3 different volunteer organization functions.  So, it seems as if the vertical smoker is the winner.  I will now start a new thread for folks to say which vertical smoker they think should be selected.

Mikro

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2018, 10:04:58 PM »

I voted griddle since I built a vertical pellet grill some years back using an old Makers Mark Gasser vertical smoker and a Smoke Daddy hopper unit. Works great but temps from top to bottom vary widely.
mk
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:46:38 PM by Mikro »
Firecraft Q450
RecTec 590/Stampede
HomeBrew Upright/Vertical Pellet smoker
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up