Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2018
  • I was gonna put this in the Here's How I...We all know I am not the one to do that, but I figured if the ones who have the knowledge will pass it along to me, maybe this thread can be transferred there after you all show me how to get it right!

OK, I though on here I heard someone say non-reactive vessel.  I was certain this Rubbermaid was that, but Kristin says no.  If I am wrong I will change, but hopefully the other questions can be answered now!

So the 5 marks are 1 inch intervals.  Right now it is at the one inch.  I heard folks on here say cut up the cabbage (I know this is probably not the correct cabbage, so please just assume it is) put in vessel, pour salt over it and push down with wooden device.  A little ambiguous.  How much (how high) cabbage to start with?  How much salt on that amount?  2 Tbs, a 1/4 cup., 1 cup?

Once I get these answers I will continue.  I do have a wood disk that will go on top and I will do the bag of brine as soon as I get these other answers!

Thanks for the help guys.  And the sooner the better!

• #2 by WiPelletHead on 29 Jan 2018
  • The plastic container is nonreactive. I make it in a 5 gallon plastic pail.

I shred 5 lbs cabbage and mix it with 3 Tablespoons of canning or pickling salt. (Do not use iodized) Mix well, then into the brining container and stomp down. Continue as above until you have the desired amount.

The reason I do 5 lbs at a time it is much easier to mix with the salt.

If you cover it with a bag with salt brine in it, you don't need to use a board to cover. Just make sure that all the air is out when you put the bag over it.
  • #3 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2018
  • Well, am in trouble with the salt, I would venture to guess there is 3/4 of a cup at a minimum in there right now!  It was a 4.2lb head, so I will cut the rest, put it in there shake it very well to mix and put the wood circle on top.  I will also put the salt away!

How long?  And do I put it in the fridge?  Do I smash it down or shake it every few days?

The plastic container is nonreactive. I make it in a 5 gallon plastic pail.

I shred 5 lbs cabbage and mix it with 3 Tablespoons of canning or pickling salt. (Do not use iodized) Mix well, then into the brining container and stomp down. Continue as above until you have the desired amount.

If you cover it with a bag with salt brine in it, you don't need to use a board to cover. Just make sure that all the air is out when you put the bag over it.

• #4 by waskawood on 29 Jan 2018
  • Don't shake. Pack it tight. Check it after a few days to make sure it's covered with brine then I check it once a week to make sure it's ok. Taste it after about 5 weeks and see how sour it is. I leave mine about  7 weeks but that varies with the room temperature. Do not refrigerate.
  • #5 by WiPelletHead on 29 Jan 2018
  • Well, am in trouble with the salt, I would venture to guess there is 3/4 of a cup at a minimum in there right now!  It was a 4.2lb head, so I will cut the rest, put it in there shake it very well to mix and put the wood circle on top.  I will also put the salt away!

How long?  And do I put it in the fridge?  Do I smash it down or shake it every few days?

The plastic container is nonreactive. I make it in a 5 gallon plastic pail.

Based on that, sounds like you have about 12 tablespoon in there. That's enough to make 20 lbs of cabbage. Don't think it's going to work with that much salt.

But if you want to continue, once it's covered you let it set at a temperature of close to 70 degrees. No shaking or stomping. At that temperature, it should be ready in about 3 weeks.
  • #6 by Kristin Meredith on 29 Jan 2018
  • Ah yes, Bent strikes again!  Let's start on something without a clue what we are doing, ask for info, wait 2 minutes, if no one responds just wing it and figure you will feed it to the siblings because you don't like kraut anyhow.
  • #7 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2018
  • I was shaking it to get the brine that was already in there mixed in with the rest of the cabbage.  I then smashed it down and have the wood on top, the wood is not very heavy, just so you all know.

Lets just say this.  It was a 4 lb. box of Picking Salt.  That is 64oz.  I did not weigh it before I started, so I do not know how much the cardboard container weighs, but there is 62.17 ounces left in the box right now...I have no idea how many Tbs are in an ounce of picking salt!

House stay at about 63°, so will not put in fridge.  Had no idea it takes this long.  I guess the beef sausage, sweet pickled Rotkohl, and mashed garlic sweet potatoes will be eaten in Mid March!

• #8 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2018
  • I want to make sure, no water is added to this?
  • #9 by WiPelletHead on 29 Jan 2018
  • No water added. After it's salted and packed down, There should be enough juice to cover it.

From what I can find 1 T of pickling salt weighs 0.6 oz.

So your measurement might be pretty close.

It will be fine at 63 degrees, will just take a little longer to ferment.
  • #10 by waskawood on 29 Jan 2018
  • I have never needed to. It depends on your cabbage. After a couple days, if the cabbage isnt covered with liquid you need to add some brine to cover the cabbage to prevent it from molding.
  • #11 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2018
  • Hey Guys...Thank you!  I guess a picture every week?  Starting tomorrow!
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jan 2018
  • These experiments have me thinking that Bentley is the behind the scenes guy for Alton Brown. ;D
  • #13 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2018
  • Naw just went to the Dr. today, and I gotta get my xxxx together with my eating.  I see this stuff is supposed to be good for you.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jan 2018
  • Naw just went to the Dr. today, and I gotta get my xxxx together with my eating.  I see this stuff is supposed to be good for you.

Just make sure he medicates you for your lifestyle.  That is what I keep telling them until something changes from my already abnormal results.
  • #15 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2018
  • How long should it take for the brine to cover the cabbage?
Pages:
Actions