Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by WiPelletHead on 29 Jan 2018
  • How long should it take for the brine to cover the cabbage?

It should cover right away.

Once salted and stomped down that should be drawing moisture out of the cabbage.

Was the last picture of the cabbage uncovered after you had stomped it down?
  • #17 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2018
  • Yes, so I am gonna assume that red non sauerkraut cabbage is probably not going to make real good sauerkraut?  Will see what happens over the next few days...
  • #18 by ZCZ on 30 Jan 2018
  • How long should it take for the brine to cover the cabbage?

Should be covered after you pack it all down.  If it is not and air is getting to it you will have problems. 
  • #19 by Bentley on 30 Jan 2018
  • Wrong cabbage, to thick on slicing, did not smash it correctly whatever it is...this maybe a bone head move, but I am going to add enough water to cover!
  • #20 by Bentley on 30 Jan 2018
  • I had to add 3/4 of a cup of water to make it completely cover the cabbage.  If that ruins it, so be it, I am out $4 worth of cabbage and about 15 cents worth of picking salt!  I make this next statement knowing fully well I am ignorant on this process, but a brine is a brine...

I heard 3 weeks at 70° and then 5 weeks and 7 weeks as time frames...So I will taste in 4 and if I do not die, will report back!  If anyone want to see a picture during that 4 weeks, you can just ask!
  • #21 by WiPelletHead on 30 Jan 2018
  • Wrong cabbage, to thick on slicing, did not smash it correctly whatever it is...this maybe a bone head move, but I am going to add enough water to cover!

Red cabbage can be used.

The reason I asked about the picture was it didn't look like it was smashed down enough. That helps to draw the moisture from the cabbage.

A thinner shredding helps to.

Adding water should be OK as long as the brine doesn't get to weak.

And as ZCZ said, you need to keep the air out.
  • #22 by Bobitis on 30 Jan 2018
  • Cabbage is cabbage, no? What matter if it's red or green?
  • #23 by Kristin Meredith on 30 Jan 2018
  • Well, I will let you all know about the funeral arrangements when he tests this stuff in a few weeks.
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Jan 2018
  • Well, I will let you all know about the funeral arrangements when he tests this stuff in a few weeks.

Make sure he leaves money in his will to keep the site going. ;D
  • #25 by Kristin Meredith on 30 Jan 2018
  • No, I just checked, the site is now worth a staggering $593.  I will just have to sell (I will give a discount to $590) and take an around the world cruise to help get over my grief.
  • #26 by ZCZ on 30 Jan 2018
  • I start eating mine after 3 weeks but my guess is you will end up throwing this batch out.
    Should only use 1.5 to 2 tbls per medium sized head.
    I use unrefined sea salt

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #27 by Bentley on 08 Feb 2018
  • I though it had been weeks...It has been 10 days, although I feel better about the texture since it is only ten day.  As it ferments, it should become much softer right?  You feel it and it seems like it is almost fresh from a texture standpoint.  I tasted a bit of it, still a salty flavor to me, but I think I am starting to get a hint of that acid flavor...

I know if I ever do it again, it will be much finer slice...

Day 1

Day 10

• #28 by LTS on 08 Feb 2018
  • Dad makes sourkrout all the time and he smashes/ beats the .. out of it, when you smash it that along with the salt  is when the cabbage releases the water to create your brine

I bought him a sourkrout kit for Christmas one year, its a big glass jar with a water burp valve on top.... google fermenting valve

• #29 by Bentley on 18 Feb 2018
  • Day 21, and yes I have never tasted homemade sauerkraut, but this is still somewhat firm, and all the sauerkraut I have ever eaten is Very soft.  It also is very salty, which I love, but has no tang or that vinegary flavor I associate with sauerkraut...I guess we will go 3 more weeks then cal it quits and eat it, kraut or not!

Z sent me an article about the 3 mistakes folks make about fermenting in this way.  #1 was to put the container in the fridge to early..Doh, mine has been on the counter for 21 days, #2 was using a container that allows oxygen to get in, I guess that is debatable, but I don't believe mine has, and #3 was wiping away mold and thinking I cant hurt you.  Well, no mold anywhere near my stuff, nor any of the other flags... "So how do you know if your jar is keeping out enough oxygen? There are a few red flags that can tell us: browned cabbage, yeasty odor, pink cabbage, slime, and mold (we’ll come back to mold in a bit)."

• #30 by Bentley on 11 Mar 2018
  • Lets see, 41 days...It is not sauerkraut, but I think once I sugar it and cook it tonight, it is going to be a delicious warm side dish to go with that sous vide round steak and mashed sweet potatoes!!

We will not be moving this thread into the Here is How I do Anything...

Pages:
Actions