Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 30 Aug 2017
  • Our one uncle turns 95 in a few weeks.  Still gets around pretty well and is a real meat and potato man, so we are on the hunt for a bone in ribeye roast.  Bent will cut the ribs off so we can have some decent beef ribs and then hand cut the steaks.  My SIL's birthday is also just a few weeks down the road and she wants salmon, so going to get some of that also.  Finally, if we can find tri-tip, I think we will have some of that for Labor Day instead of hamburgers.

Bent always claims we live in "Mayberry", so to do this kind of meat shopping we need to go into the big city of Mount Pilot -- in this case, Chantilly, Va which is about an hour drive one way (it is a suburb of DC).  I really don't miss life in LA or Vegas until it is time to go to Restaurant Depot.  In both of those other cities, the RD was about 5 to 7 miles from home.  On the other hand, a two hour drive seems a fair trade for life in Mayberry  ;D

• #2 by LowSlowJoe on 30 Aug 2017
  • If you like bratwurst of the 'Johnsonville' style/flavor... make sure you try some Kirkland brand bratwurst ( if you haven't already )... I love the Kirtland Bratwurst, just a very tiny bit tastier then Johnsonville ( at least to my pallet), and a tiny bit cheaper too I think.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Aug 2017
  • I am making a similar Road Trip on Friday afternoon, but mine is only about 20 minute ride.  If you have a Sam's Club out there, they carry a peppercorn marinaded tri-tip that I really enjoy.  I have one thawing in the fridge to cook this weekend.  Have fun out on your ride.
  • #4 by pmillen on 30 Aug 2017
  • I'd really like to move some place like Mayberry but probably in North Dakota near my BIL.  But it has drawbacks.  He has to drive 90 miles to buy a 2×4.
  • #5 by GREG-B on 30 Aug 2017
  • If you like bratwurst of the 'Johnsonville' style/flavor... make sure you try some Kirkland brand bratwurst ( if you haven't already )... I love the Kirtland Bratwurst, just a very tiny bit tastier then Johnsonville ( at least to my pallet), and a tiny bit cheaper too I think.

Isn't that the same one they serve in the deli there?   When my son worked there many years ago, they would refer to that as the "death dog" served in "hotdog *&^%" until management got wind of it and told them to stop.   [ Invalid Attachment ]   I like them.   I usually throw onions, sauerkraut and deli mustard on them.
  • #6 by riverrat49 on 30 Aug 2017
  • You all are so lucky to have a Sam's Club, We are the Second largest city in WA and the only Sam's Clubs are in the Seattle Vacinity.
  • #7 by GREG-B on 30 Aug 2017
  • You all are so lucky to have a Sam's Club, We are the Second largest city in WA and the only Sam's Clubs are in the Seattle Vacinity.

Live just outside the largest city in Oregon and there ain't one there either.
  • #8 by pmillen on 30 Aug 2017

I don't get it my MSA is under a million people and we have two Sam's and two Costcos.
  • #9 by riverrat49 on 30 Aug 2017
  • Yeah I was hoping for a Portland Sam's club since I'm in the area and need Ribs and Pork Butts for this weekends competition.

• #10 by Bentley on 30 Aug 2017
  • 10.13lb. ground chuck, 14.71 USDA Standard (may regret this) Rib Roast, 19.33 Choice Packer, 13.31 Choice Flank $6.59/lb reduced to $3 Cheap Screw Score!), 6lb Genoa Salami (Cheap, but surprisingly good), 8 Kirkland Brats, vile fish!

I guess bone in Rib Roast are only sold by real butchers and at the Holidays and Tri-tip again, has become un known in this part of the States!

Rib Roast will get aged till 9/22/17, Kristin wants me to turn the brisket into corned beef, so I see that getting documented...Flank gonna see if the will make a decent Chicken Fried Steak and the Kirkland (which I have never had) will go down Monday!

Am more bummed about the Tri-tip then the bone on!

• #11 by LowSlowFoShow on 30 Aug 2017
  • Yeah I was hoping for a Portland Sam's club since I'm in the area and need Ribs and Pork Butts for this weekends competition.

No sams club but we do have 4 Costcos, 3 Cash n Carry's and 2 Resturant Depots
  • #12 by LowSlowJoe on 30 Aug 2017
  • That's 16 Kirkland Bratwurst... they make you buy two 8 packs. 
  • #13 by Bentley on 30 Aug 2017
  • Correct, 8 are vac sealed and in the freezer for down the road!
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Sep 2017
  • I'm getting ready to make my Restaurant Depot run shortly.  I think I may fill up Bentley's table with what I have on my list to buy.  Stopping at Sam's Club and at this place for some sausage: www.nellosmeats.com.  I plan to buy 6 different flavors and then split up the packages with a cousin of mine.

Chipotle & Pepper Jack
    Hot Italian
    Northern Hot Italian
    Pepper & Onion
    Rosemary Garlic
    Texas Style

I will probably get a call from my credit card giving me a fraud alert after this meat run. ;D
  • #15 by Bentley on 01 Sep 2017
  • I mean no disrespect to the company...but Nello's does not look cheap!

If you are into Genoa salami, I recommended the Colosseum, it is less then $3/lb and to me is as good as stuff that cost twice as much!  It is at the Restaurant Depot here!

Pages:
Actions