Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RT680 + rain  (Read 4524 times)

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
RT680 + rain
« on: January 29, 2018, 07:27:35 PM »

Any of you fine folks use your RT680 in the weather? Store it in the weather? Smoke in the weather? Just wondering how it handles it.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: RT680 + rain
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 09:18:49 PM »

I keep mine outside but covered when not in use.  I've used it in the rain and snow with no issues. 
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

DaisyCutter

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »

I store mine in the garage. I wheel it out and have cooked in all kinds of weather.

Th3Batman86

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 12:24:44 AM »

I store mine in the garage. I wheel it out and have cooked in all kinds of weather.

This is where I am right now. I am thinking of keeping it out back with just a cover. Just wondering what others were doing.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Th3Batman86

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:26:33 AM »

I keep mine outside but covered when not in use.  I've used it in the rain and snow with no issues.

So you use it while raining?   Interesting.

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:21:07 AM »

The unit can handle getting wet.

Please be aware, quite a bit of moisture builds up inside a grill/smoker in bad weather if not being used.  They tend to mold very quickly inside if left outside and under one of the typical grill covers and not used very often.  They just do not breath under that cover and over time things grow, especially if you use it for only/mostly low n slow smoking and do not get it to max temp to burn off all the grease/fats..  If you use it every week probably not an issue, let it sit a month or two.... :puke:

Ross77

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »

I bought a cover on Amazon with two vents.

Th3Batman86

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 11:12:53 AM »

The unit can handle getting wet.

Please be aware, quite a bit of moisture builds up inside a grill/smoker in bad weather if not being used.  They tend to mold very quickly inside if left outside and under one of the typical grill covers and not used very often.  They just do not breath under that cover and over time things grow, especially if you use it for only/mostly low n slow smoking and do not get it to max temp to burn off all the grease/fats..  If you use it every week probably not an issue, let it sit a month or two.... :puke:

Thanks for the advice. Right now it is in my garage but I would like to get it onto the back patio. However, there is no cover there and likely won't be until spring/summer. I have the "cold smoker" attachment so I think the only cover I can get that is large enough would be the one from RecTec. However it doesn't say anything about having vents so that might be something I need to look at for airflow.

Soldier17

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 01:36:20 PM »

I actually was going to ask what everyone's experience with the cover has been. I grill all year long but have the grill cover on over winter in between uses. I notice moisture/condensation on the grill when I take the cover off despite the grill being cool and dry when I cover it. I'm trying just leaving it out uncovered, so far seems to be handling it just fine.
Rec Tec RT-680

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 04:08:35 PM »

RE: Mold and moisture ... Cold at nite. Sun hits the pit in the day. The dark cover absorbs heat = condensation. Add rain or melting snow that migrates thru the stitching = water.. Propping the lid open 1/8" to 1/4" with the cover on will help..Adding some sort of spacer, ie, 1/4" thick pvc (wont hold moisture)  between the pit and cover, on top,  to provide a small air space helps even more..If the pit hasn't been used after a rain or snow fall, remove the cover and hang to dry. Fully open the pit and let the air and sun in. Helps with rust too.

Th3Batman86

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »

RE: Mold and moisture ... Cold at nite. Sun hits the pit in the day. The dark cover absorbs heat = condensation. Add rain or melting snow that migrates thru the stitching = water.. Propping the lid open 1/8" to 1/4" with the cover on will help..Adding some sort of spacer, ie, 1/4" thick pvc (wont hold moisture)  between the pit and cover, on top,  to provide a small air space helps even more..If the pit hasn't been used after a rain or snow fall, remove the cover and hang to dry. Fully open the pit and let the air and sun in. Helps with rust too.

This is a good breakdown. I like the PVC idea!

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 04:58:00 PM »

Forgot-MOST IMPORTANT:  NEVER EVER cover a wet or damp pit!

Th3Batman86

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 05:31:10 PM »

I guess I started this thread because I was mostly worried about the electronics or the pellets getting wet. Doesn't sound like anyone has a problem with that. Did anyone gasket their hopper lid? I was thinking about doing that but maybe it isn't necessary.

Ross77

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 05:34:25 PM »

I don’t think the lid needs a gasket as it overlaps enough. You also need it to breathe and the gasket would seal it up too tight.

Hoosier Daddy

• Using less gas.
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 06:18:59 PM »

I've used mine in the rain many times and never any ill effects. Never had moisture get into the hopper either. 

Dan
Rec Tec 680 Weber 26" Kettle WSM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up