Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

Who would you allow to participate in a drawing for a Product that was donated?

Anyone, even if they sign up after the drawing is announced?
Someone who is a Member before the drawing is announced?
A Member with X amount of post? (You will have to make a comment on how many X is.)
I have a suggestion that is not listed. (Again, you will have to comment.)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Handel A Pellet Fan Give Away Drawing.  (Read 4761 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
How to Handel A Pellet Fan Give Away Drawing.
« on: January 30, 2018, 05:23:55 PM »

I need to 1st say, this is not for anything upcoming, I REALLY need people to believe that as there is NOTHING to be drawn.

But I do believe with the nature of this site, it will happen in the coming months or maybe years.  I have my beliefs on this, but since I will never have a shot at it, better to let those who will have a say in the decision...

If there are several more suggestions I did not think of, may have another poll in a few weeks!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:26:14 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: How to Handel A Pellet Fan Give Away Drawing.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:30:51 PM »

Should have 25 post to enter.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:45:27 PM »

At least 50 posts as of the day before the drawing is announced.

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »

Should have 25 post to enter.  :2cents:

I agree, but would go even higher for number of posts. I would say whatever you (the owner) determines as a regularly contributing member. I would assume the whole point of a give away is publicity. You are much more likely to get that with someone who contributes on a regular basis.

When I reached a certain number of posts on brethren, I received a message that some things (which I don't even remember what) were available to me that are typically only for paying members. I didn't really care about the stuff, but it was a nice touch.

Maybe even a sticky at the top of the general page. Something to the effect of "from time to time we may have give aways on pelletfan. This is meant to be fun for contributing members, and you must have x posts to enter any drawings that we may have". That statement may encourage posting that they otherwise may have thought about then chose not to.

Mudflap

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:53:48 PM »

I marked member before it is announced. But could have easily marked any member any time...

To me a member is a member. I personally would not put a number on posts. person could just go to "If you want to introduce yourself" tab and reply to get 166 quickly today. :2cents:

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »

The thing that concerns me is someone new winning it & disappearing with no further posts of cooking with it.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

ArborAgent

• Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:05:13 PM »

Bentley,

What are you trying to accomplish by giving something away?

If your goal is to increase membership to the site, then being a member should be enough.

If you want to reward long time members, then pick a time window by which they must have subscribed.

If you want to reward active members, then why not use the number of posts as a weighting for the drawing? Someone with 100 posts has 100 more entries than someone with 1 post.

Personally, I'd make it open to anyone who is a member, even if they registered just to enter. Sure some people will register and never come back, others might discover the site because of a giveaway. I'd optimize for growing membership.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

Timbo1010

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 06:06:13 PM »

How about anyone who has purchased a product review raffle ticket. I am not saying those who don't, shouldn't be able to participate in a give away. I think a member who participated in product review raffles get an automatic entry just my  :2cents:
Blaz'n Gridiron

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 06:24:44 PM »

Members for members sake isn't really helpful to the site.  It is content that drives the site.  All you have to do is look at PH right now -- tons of members, no one posting.  So nothing to read and be educated or amused or saddened by.

When we started this forum, we honestly thought at the end of the first year we would probably have 50 members.  But we thought "Hey, if they are all contributing thoughts, ideas, recipes, etc. it won't matter that it is 50, it will be great content." So to have guests and lurkers might be nice for the guests and lurkers because they have great things to read, product reviews from members who spent some serious time, they see questions answered, photos posted, how to on cooks, etc etc -- but they take only and contribute nothing.  I want to reward the contributors.

And yeah, someone could go in and post a lot of hellos, but they never know when a drawing might be and, as a retired attorney, I can probably write a rule that says your posts will be reviewed and if more than 50% are "welcome" posts, you are disqualified (I have never had a problem being a Blue Meanie :pig: and Bent isn't the only decision maker on these issues.)

SmokinPete55

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 06:35:41 PM »

Members for members sake isn't really helpful to the site.  It is content that drives the site.  All you have to do is look at PH right now -- tons of members, no one posting.  So nothing to read and be educated or amused or saddened by.

When we started this forum, we honestly thought at the end of the first year we would probably have 50 members.  But we thought "Hey, if they are all contributing thoughts, ideas, recipes, etc. it won't matter that it is 50, it will be great content." So to have guests and lurkers might be nice for the guests and lurkers because they have great things to read, product reviews from members who spent some serious time, they see questions answered, photos posted, how to on cooks, etc etc -- but they take only and contribute nothing.  I want to reward the contributors.

And yeah, someone could go in and post a lot of hellos, but they never know when a drawing might be and, as a retired attorney, I can probably write a rule that says your posts will be reviewed and if more than 50% are "welcome" posts, you are disqualified (I have never had a problem being a Blue Meanie :pig: and Bent isn't the only decision maker on these issues.)

wow , quotas . please delete my account .

cheers

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 06:41:40 PM »

Done

slaga

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 06:42:40 PM »

I would have it be a certain # of posts. That number should be 1 less than I have whenever you have the drawing. :rotf:
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

ArborAgent

• Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 06:49:24 PM »

as a retired attorney

My first thought at reading this is I bet you were a FIERCE attorney.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

Mudflap

• Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 06:49:48 PM »

number of posts for members
43 with 1923-100
25 with 99 - 50
42 with 49-25

110 out of 694 if cutoff line is 25. (Numbers change every second)

Just more info for ones that vote.

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 06:55:11 PM »

Based on Kristin's explanation of the purpose of the site is participation in this community (my paraphrase), I went with a minimum number of posts to be included in the giveaway.  I suggest 25.  Some people are shy or less experienced cookers and feel like they have nothing to contribute but yet have a desire to learn as part of the community.  Over time, they should be able to get to 25 posts even if it is just asking questions about how to do things.  We all learn when people ask questions.

If there ever are giveaways and you feel there is abuse of the rules or not obtaining your desired outcome, you can always change the rules later.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up