Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

Who would you allow to participate in a drawing for a Product that was donated?

Anyone, even if they sign up after the drawing is announced?
Someone who is a Member before the drawing is announced?
A Member with X amount of post? (You will have to make a comment on how many X is.)
I have a suggestion that is not listed. (Again, you will have to comment.)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Handel A Pellet Fan Give Away Drawing.  (Read 4772 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: How to Handel A Pellet Fan Give Away Drawing.
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2018, 03:41:46 PM »

Sounds like most have x amount of posts prior to the drawing is announced may be the way to go.  It would be easy enough to save what the post counts were before you announce there will be a drawing and sort it by post counts.  Throw out those that don't make the cut if they enter the drawing.  Post it clearly in each drawing that those were the rules you established.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

slaga

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »

To me it comes down to 1 thing. What is the purpose of a "Pellet Fan Giveaway"? Are you trying to get new members to join, whether they contribute or not, or are you trying to reward members that have contributed to the site that helped make it what it is? Personally, I am a fan of a minimum number of posts (use you lawyer wording skills to minimize padding the post count), which ensures the winner has made some meaningful contribution to the site. I have never been a big poster, and I doubt I ever will be. If I do not have enough posts, so be it. It is my own fault for contributing enough.

If you let any new member be in the drawing, without some minimum number of posts, what prevents a member from logging in under 25 different new handles and giving himself 25 times the chance to win than the other members that have contributed to the web site for years and only log in under their real handle?

I really really really don't like the "meaningful contribution" part of this post.  Does this mean that someone is going to check all of your posts and decide whether or not they are good enough to count?  That seems very arbitrary to me, and open to bias, which, if we know anything about people today, is going to cause a huge stink when someone thinks they would have won if their posts counted.

As far as logging in under 25 different handles, that is easily enough checked by the IP addresses that people signed on with.  Only one entry per IP address.

By "meaningful contribution" I meant not spamming the site with useless posts similar to what GrillinGlen said above or posting XX times in the "introduce yourself board" with "Hi, welcome aboard!" in order to get enough posts to enter the drawing. Everything else is a meaningful contribution. It is real easy to tell which posters aren't here to contribute and which ones only show up for a freebie.

I could be wrong but isn't the IP address associated with the modem for the internet access point? Meaning, if I go to 10 different Starbucks (I drive by about 6 or 7 everyday) and use their free wifi and join this site under 10 different names you can still tell that they are all me? From my own home, and using my family's smart phones, I think I can log on here under at least 6 different IP addresses. I am not "network/IP Address" savvy enough to know if my thought process is completely correct, but if I am, well you get the picture.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2018, 03:48:39 PM »

This means nothing to me!  I don't need to get the word out about the site.  If no one else sighed up for this from this point on, it would not bother me, as long as 99% of the people who are here now stay!

It is better to use contests just to get the word out about the site.

And I just happen to pick this post, so don't feel the comments are aimed directly at you, they are not.

Let me be clear...This is not regarding "Pits" I have said it before and I will say it again.

I WILL NEVER HAVE A DRAWING FOR A PELLET UNIT THAT HAS BEEN PEFORMANCE TESTED ON THIS SITE!

Now having said that, something that has been donated for a Product Review, a blender, a vac sealer, a grinder, this is what I am talking about...

And no there is nothing wrong with people who do not comment on this site, and there is nothing wrong with them being on this site...But the ones who do comment and add content, I want to reward them more then the person who just reads...Very blunt, but very simple for me!

And to be even blunter and colder, do I care if I alienate that person? NO I DON"T...why would I if they are NOT CONTRIBUTING!

Some people don't like to post frequently. I read a ton of posts on here but don't comment. Is that wrong??

Maybe someone newer to the forum, who is looking for their first pit wins. They will tell others about where they got there pit, resulting in additional members.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 04:04:10 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »

There is the most realistic post I have seen so far!

This is not a democracy.

I have never been a big poster, and I doubt I ever will be. If I do not have enough posts, so be it. It is my own fault for not contributing enough.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2018, 04:01:26 PM »

Thank you for this, I just assumed everyone knew that.  You all have no idea when the drawing might take place, I can assure you that when I announce it, if you don't have X amount by that time, you ain't qualifying!

Sounds like most have x amount of posts prior to the drawing is announced may be the way to go.

GatorDave

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2018, 04:07:47 PM »

This means nothing to me!  I don't need to get the word out about the site.  If no one else sighed up for this from this point on, it would not bother me, as long as 99% of the people who are here now stay!

It is better to use contests just to get the word out about the site.

And I just happen to pick this post, so don't feel the comments are aimed directly at you, they are not.

Let me be clear...This is not regarding "Pits" I have said it before and I will say it again.  I WILL NEVER HAVE A DEAWING FOR A PELLET UNIT THAT HAS BEEN PEFORMANCE TESTED ON THIS SITE!

Now having said that, something that has been donated for a Product Review, a blender, a vac sealer, a grinder, this is what I am talking about...

And no there is nothing wrong with people who do not comment on this site, and there is nothing wrong with them being on this site...But the ones who do comment and add content, I want to reward them more then the person who just reads...Very blunt, but very simple for me!

And to be even blunter and colder, do I care if I alienate that person? NO I DON"T...why would I if they are NOT CONTRIBUTING!

Some people don't like to post frequently. I read a ton of posts on here but don't comment. Is that wrong??

Maybe someone newer to the forum, who is looking for their first pit wins. They will tell others about where they got there pit, resulting in additional members.

Just curious.  It seems that you already knew what criteria you were going to go with, so why did you ask us?  I totally feel used..lol :)

Mudflap

• Sunset in Harrisburg Oregon
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2018, 04:10:28 PM »

But the ones who do comment and add content, I want to reward them more then the person who just reads...Very blunt, but very simple for me!

May I ask why even have the first two answers? Could have been just how many posts. 20, 30, 40 50 or other? 

Mudflap
Just want to cook good food. DB GMG

Rydes84

• Using less gas.
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »

Looks this might of already been covered, I voted for "only if a prior member" but really I think it is whatever is best for the site. I was a long time lurker on PH with minimal posting here and there but that is more of me just being a introvert.  If content is what drives the site and that is what Bentley and Kristin want to see then I have zero issue with a post minimum as I have learned tons from the regular contributors and those that share should be rewarded.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »

No, have ideas of what I want, but not completely there yet.  It is always good for me to seek info and advice...Many times I do this and yes, I never use it...But for me it is still good to seek out that data!

That and I like to stay in touch with the little people.

Just curious.  It seems that you already knew what criteria you were going to go with, so why did you ask us?  I totally feel used..lol :)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »

Wanting to know other viewpoints, whether used or not is valuable for me, if it is not for others, I can't speak to that.

May I ask why even have the first two answers? Could have been just how many posts. 20, 30, 40 50 or other? 

Mudflap

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2018, 04:21:47 PM »

I see why this post may have confused some...IF I were to use a post count as a means of determining who gets in, the below statement would apply! I read Lews post to mean that folks would have the chance to post after the drawing was announced so they could get in it, that would never happen.

AGAIN IF, that is the method that is determine to be use, that is how it would be run. 

And to be very honest with everyone, I am gald right now there is nothing to give away!

Thank you for this, I just assumed everyone knew that.  You all have no idea when the drawing might take place, I can assure you that when I announce it, if you don't have X amount by that time, you ain't qualifying!

Sounds like most have x amount of posts prior to the drawing is announced may be the way to go.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 06:19:38 PM by Bentley »

CaptJerry

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2018, 04:23:21 PM »

Wow, what a discussion!
My mind has changed 3 times reading the posts.

I voted # of posts. I  also think it should be a relatively low number.
I say 25.
Reason for the low number is I fall into the parasite category.
I take away 100 x what I contribute.
Then if you factor posts of substance, I'm probably around zero.

IMO the Meredith's have a tough decision to make, but hey, it's why you get the big bucks  :rotf:

DE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2018, 04:37:14 PM »

Just throwing this out there for discussion or food for thought. I recall joining and researching Pellet Grills for almost a year, reading only before I made a decision to purchase the PG1000 in June of 2011.  I might have asked a question or two, but certainly did not post as an "active member." Now I'm saying this only to bring up the possibility of using "data" from a profile, i.e. "Total Time Spent Online." Could this be of value in determining commitment?  Like I said, just throwing this out there...

Doug

Upon further thought it hit me square between the eyes and makes perfect sense. If a whole lot of others had not made contributions I would not have been able to make the decision I made to on a major purchase sight unseen. What ever the rules are, especially for a drawing, you go by them. You either qualify or you don't. So, I retract my food for thought above. I wasn't there or "here" for a drawing and I believe I read where the intention is a "reward" (Definition: A thing given in recognition of one's service, effort, or achievement) and not a handout. What was that saying Forest Gump said..."That's all I have to say bout that!" But, Thanks for asking.
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

keithj69

• Using less gas.
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »

Whatever decision is made, i will abide by it, but when you have the next ticket sale/survey, Could you please either sticky it to the top of the forum, or add a new section just for the contests?  I missed the uuni one and the survey one due to not seeing them on time. 
BGW Grid Iron GMG DB GMG DC

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2018, 05:06:28 PM »

Whatever decision is made, i will abide by it, but when you have the next ticket sale/survey, Could you please either sticky it to the top of the forum, or add a new section just for the contests?  I missed the uuni one and the survey one due to not seeing them on time.

Both of those were stickied to the top of the thread on non-food related.  I did not control the days the survey was on-line, so I realize if someone wasn't on-line during that 5 day period, they missed out.  Also did not control how quickly folks bought tickets for the Uuni. Once the time periods passed, I took the sticky off.  But I understand your point on a separate section and will give some thought on that.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:19:13 PM by Kristin Meredith »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up