Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How much life do you expect out of a pellet grill?  (Read 934 times)

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
How much life do you expect out of a pellet grill?
« on: January 30, 2018, 09:11:26 PM »

I know this varies depending on how much you spend.  To get 5 years from a $5000.00 pit isnt going to make me happy but if I got 5 years from a sub$1000.00 pit I would be satisfied.

If my GMG lasted me 5 years at the rate Im smoking at I would be very happy even if I had to replace parts.  I approximate my yearly usage to about 600 lbs of pellet.

How about you fine folks?  What is your usage in pellets per year? And how long do you expect your grill to last?

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
Re: How much life do you expect out of a pellet grill?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:37:21 PM »

I expect my smoker to outlast me. Obvious point would be that some parts would need to be replaced as they age, but the stainless shell should be solid as I take care of it. My pellet usage varies quite a bit; I feel like I haven't reached equilibrium, yet. Last year, my first year with my MAK, I used about 300lbs.; I'm looking to burn about 500 lbs this year as I cook on it more and get better at it.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »

That's what I am expecting!

I expect my smoker to outlast me.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Just David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 11:40:24 PM »

Like you said, price point makes a difference, but I would hope to get a minimum of 5 years out of any pellet grill. I'd hope more for 10 years and probably expect that as a minimum from a $1000+ unit.

That's a great thought provoking question.
Masterbuilt XL pellet smoker, Traeger tailgater

smokin soon

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 12:28:20 AM »

Interesting question. My Traeger 070 went through a control, heat rod and cabinet fan, all under warranty. Barrel was also replaced for excess smoke leakage. I thought it would be dumpster bait after warranty ended. To my surprise and somewhat disappointment, [killed upgrade plans] it has worked flawless, now approaching it's 10th birthday. Only $ I have spent was for an Ortech  controller. Got my 400 degree back and gained the cool down cycle.
My expectations of a higher quality pit at this point would be meet or exceed what I have, with updated features.

rwalters

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 01:25:47 AM »

Assuming I don’t get the itch down the road for the latest and greatest, I don’t think it would be possible to wear out a MAK. IMO, it was a buy once, cry once purchase.

Timbo1010

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 03:02:00 AM »

Outlast me camp!  Only change if must have bigger or latest update  comes along
Blaz'n Gridiron

DE

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 06:31:25 AM »

Definitely not trying to shorten my time here, but I too, expect it to outlast me!
Doug//PG1000  SI4D   EXPEDITION GRIDDLE  FIREBOARD  THERMOPEN   BLACKSTONE 22  A BRISKITARIAN!

Osborn Cox

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:29:30 AM »

I’m not sure I expect mine to outlast me, but As long as parts are available I would expect 20 years.    I go through ~400 lbs per year.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 07:37:58 AM »

We got the Memphis Pro in early 2010 and it still works like a charm.  It has been hauled to numerous competitions in a small trailer traveling from LA to KC (several times), California to Virginia, and Virginia to Indiana and Kentucky.  I would say it has traveled tens of thousands of miles.  It has cooked thousands of hours of cooks, everything from long low and slow cooks to high heat short cooks.  It is a bit dirtier than when it was new, but that is on us.  And the cooking is the same as 5 years ago. I think it will last forever!

I got my GMG Daniel Boone in 2011.  Used frequently for the first two years in Vegas, traveled to some comps and traveled back to Virginia in the move.  Since 2014 been in storage and only pulled out occasionally because we only keep one pit on the patio.  But it has fired up with not much effort when needed, so has also been a fine pit that is lasting.

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:41 AM »

I think I would expect 20 yrs from my Memphis Elite & Pro. I keep an extra controller,fan,auger motor, temp sensor & meat probe on hand but I think the main unit will last that long at least. There is probably still some original Treagers still kickin.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

hokiepop

• Using less gas.
  • West Point, VA
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 07:57:53 AM »

I just bought my Memphis Elite in December and it should outlive me-to be fair, I am 67 so perhaps 20 years is realistic.

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 08:18:17 AM »

My GMG's are all 9 years old and the Traeger is 10 (I think, bought it used) The Davey Crocket is about 4 months old.
Zero complaints here and I would have no bad feelings if they gave out but other than a few parts here and there they show no signs of giving up.

Clonesmoker

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »

Back in the day, when harvesting grain in the fall, your harvest window is about 5-6 weeks so you want to get the most out each day (we never harvested on Sunday just a bad omen and had bad luck when we did it once. We always made sure we greased, lubed, oiled, cleaned (especially air cleaners and air filters), tightened chains the equipment to ensure everything was running as well as it should. I still live by this motto today "you take care of it, it will take care of you".  That's the same motto I use on my GMG DB. It sits outside under a cover, through rain, sun, sleet, snow. I'll use it around 3 times a week. Been through 3 controllers, a wiring harness, and two thermo couplers of which GMG has covered all parts on going on year #5.

ArborAgent

• Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 09:26:48 AM »

I expect I’ll get bored of my grand slam before my grand slam wears out.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up