Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone smoke or roast coffee beans on their pellet grill  (Read 5469 times)

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
Anyone smoke or roast coffee beans on their pellet grill
« on: February 01, 2018, 07:30:22 AM »

This came to me in another thread ( has your pit been stolen) a discussion of a coffee shop came up. I was wondering if anyone has roasted or smoked coffee beans or ground coffee on their pit. Or would that be  :puke: just curious how it might taste.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:10:08 AM by Quadman750 »
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Anyone smoke or roast coffee beans on their pellet grill
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »

No, but interesting. Coffee roasting is an art, far beyond my range of expertise.

wilpark

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 07:57:18 AM »

I roast coffee on a modified bbq grill and I am certain that can be accomplished on a pellet grill. 
Only concern would be getting to temp and holding it evenly throughout the chamber. Coffee roasters need to roast between 465-530 degrees.  It's only for a short period of time depending on batch size.  If batch is less than 2 lbs 8-15 minutes.

I might be willing to modify my GMG JB. I have a motor that spins at 60 RPM and a stainless steel drum made to roast up to 5lbs of raw beans.

Always wanted to wood roast coffee.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 08:00:06 AM »

Never even thought of that.  I hope someone has tried doing it would love to know the result.

I did read an article a few years back where a person mixed whole roasted beans into their pellets and used them in their pit for "flavoring".  Interesting concept, but I would think you would get an almost burned flavor from the bean in that usage.

Just David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:30 AM »

As a coffee and espresso addict, I would love to know the answer to this. That's not anything I've ever really thought of. I've toyed with roasting my own coffee just for the fun of it, and I am really curious what it would taste like done on a pellet grill. Now I can't stop thinking about it and won't be able to think of anything else today, so thanks for that!  ;) ;D
Masterbuilt XL pellet smoker, Traeger tailgater

wilpark

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 10:16:24 AM »

I may have misunderstood Quadman.  Did you mean already roasted coffee as a smoke source like a charblend pellet but with ground coffee instead of the charcoal? Or did you mean roasting raw coffee on a wood fired pellet grill

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »

I meant roasting on the grill, not a smoke source.

wilpark

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 04:04:12 PM »

As a coffee and espresso addict, I would love to know the answer to this. That's not anything I've ever really thought of. I've toyed with roasting my own coffee just for the fun of it, and I am really curious what it would taste like done on a pellet grill. Now I can't stop thinking about it and won't be able to think of anything else today, so thanks for that!  ;) ;D
You really should start.  It doesn't cost too much money and you can roast on a fluid bed roaster.  If you can find an old air popcorn popper that has the "fin" blower and not the screened blower you have a small batch fluid bed roaster.

May cost you a few bucks at a resale shop. Coffee beans you can get on line.  There is a site called Sweet Maria's that has a lot of info and can buy beans from.

Thats how I got started 15 years ago. You save a ton of money and have another hobby you can spend thousands on.

TFDSmoker3

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »

I have been a home roaster for quite some time.  While it can be quite simple, to do it right, there are a lot of variables.  It can be as simple as a cast iron skillet over a campfire, but the cowboy had to constantly keep the beans stirred, or a very uneven roast will occur.  You could put a cast iron skillet on your grates and heat it up good and do it like the cowboys, but you would not really get the smokiness I believe you are hoping to get.  As was posted above by Wilpark, there are people that have made, or bought, chambers (barrels) that allow the beans to constantly rotate, either by hand or motor, such that there is an even roast and you would get some of the characteristics of the smoke.  It would be interesting to try in in a smoker, but there would be some trial and error over time, as roasting, like smoking, has to do with the variables.  Things like coffee batch size, Preheat temp, and rate of rise on the beans, airflow, drum speed, and then finally the all important bean temperature, will produce either good, bad, or indifferent results.  There are different roast levels on beans, the lightest being what is called "first crack" where the beans actually pop, like popcorn (they just don't explode like popcorn), and that happens around 170-200 deg (bean temp).  And you go darker from there.  But, bottom line, as stated before, this would be like learning to smoke on your grill.  A new challenge, and doable with some effort.  I would be interested to hear if someone that takes on the task, as most people that roast on grills, do it on gas or charcoal grills.  Happy Roasting!
Yoder YS640

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »

WELCOME,  TFDSmoker3 on your first post. it's a dilly!

Just David

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 08:48:50 PM »

WELCOME,  TFDSmoker3 on your first post. it's a dilly!

I hadn't even noticed that was a first post. That was an impressive first post! And welcome!
Masterbuilt XL pellet smoker, Traeger tailgater

Bobitis

• Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 08:54:42 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I'm confused as to the question.

Are we talking about green beans or beans already cooked?   :help:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

TFDSmoker3

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 08:59:08 PM »

Bobitis, we are talking green beens.

Canadian John, thanks for the welcome.  I was also a former P-Head.
Yoder YS640

wilpark

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 10:22:54 PM »

I'm wondering how much wood flavor you would get from the pellets due to high roasting temps. I may be better off using my amazn tube on my modded grill.

Roasting beans does produce significant smoke especially if you get into second crack.

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 08:18:42 AM »

Green beans & I am also wondering about beans already cooked.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up