Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Feb 2018
  • Let me start out that this thread is in no way intended to become political.  I am interested in gathering some information to assist me in potential future coverage needs.

Those of you who are not covered by Medicare, your company plan or a spouses plan, what sources have you used to obtain your medical/health insurance as your primary coverage plan?
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 01 Feb 2018
  • I had been going through the insurance market exchanges, but this year it was so expensive I decided to call a private health insurance agent.  She informed me that there was only one insurer which would offer insurance to an individual policy holder in our county -- and that was the one in the insurance exchange.

Unfortunately, if you live in certain areas, especially rural, I am not sure you will have many choices.  May be better if you live in more of a metro area.
  • #3 by WayneB on 01 Feb 2018
  • I have friends the use Medi Share and like it.
    https://tinyurl.com/y7tr48cx
  • #4 by DMAXNAZ on 01 Feb 2018
  • I have some friends on Christian healthcare. Has worked good for them so far.
  • #5 by triplebq on 01 Feb 2018
  • Unfortunately Health Insurance in the US is political  :puke: The best advice I can give you is to call around. You have taken a good step in asking people here what they are using. Good luck in your search and hopefully you find something that works out.
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Feb 2018
  • Unfortunately Health Insurance in the US is political  :puke: The best advice I can give you is to call around. You have taken a good step in asking people here what they are using. Good luck in your search and hopefully you find something that works out.

This is all pre-emptive in planning for the future .  I am currently covered via my employer.  Just doing some homework right now as I know this will be more expensive than it is today having an employer co-share in the costs.
  • #7 by triplebq on 01 Feb 2018

This is all pre-emptive in planning for the future .  I am currently covered via my employer.  Just doing some homework right now as I know this will be more expensive than it is today having an employer co-share in the costs.

Very good plan on your part.
  • #8 by mo-kid on 02 Feb 2018
  • I am currently doing the same thing as I want to retire early (59.5); I will let you know how things shake out. I believe I may have a plan for me and the spouse for around 125 each a month. I will keep you in mind when I finally hear the end results. I should be able (per my Edward Jones consultant) to quite work in July or first of August.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Feb 2018
  • I am currently doing the same thing as I want to retire early (59.5); I will let you know how things shake out. I believe I may have a plan for me and the spouse for around 125 each a month. I will keep you in mind when I finally hear the end results. I should be able (per my Edward Jones consultant) to quite work in July or first of August.

I would be very interested in hearing this story.  My wife is 5 years older than me so I plan to start drawing from her retirement savings when she is 59.5 ideally.  I have funds in our HSA account I would like to draw for use for insurance premiums since we have never touched them for medical payments so we can draw them tax free as we have hit our deductible every year.  I am trying to figure out how long I can use those funds before dipping into other savings.  At $125/mo each, we would be in much better shape than I was expecting.  I was expecting about 4x that cost.
  • #10 by RWhyman on 02 Feb 2018
    So who's paying the rest of the cost of the insurance? Are you part of some big group?
    My wife and I are both 64 and we both have a single policy that cost each of us around $800/month and the policies have really high deductibles and don't really pay squat. It really sucks paying $1600 a month for just in case something serious happens.
  • #11 by mo-kid on 03 Feb 2018
  • I have friend that is in the insurance bsns and that is what he has told me. Anyway I have until late July or early August before the  transition takes place. I do not know the details yet, but he said he could get me said policy for between 124 and 250 each. My Edward Jones consultant figured around 600.00 for the insurance and figured high on our taxes and I would still be making around 200.00 more a month doing, well nothing... That's the skinny. It is all greek to me, so as I find out I'll let you know. All I can say is I'm ready to move away from employment or at least full time employment. I also have told him I have insurance now with my employer and told him the deductibles and co-pays on meds...so he has most of the information.
  • #12 by Chokma on 03 Feb 2018
  • This is none of my business, but I have never let that stop me before.  So...

My wife and I are both on Medicare Part A and B.  We each also have a MediGap policy and Prescription Drug Plans.  The total cost (excluding Medicare) is slightly over $308/month.

The prices you are talking about sound extremely low for standalone policies.

I would confirm the cost with an outside party--it could make a significant difference in your Edward Jones projection.

Best of luck.
  • #13 by thenap on 03 Feb 2018
  • Not in California, Pay over $2000 a month for wife and I. Retired early at 60. Employer use to pay that nut. When I turn 62 then it drops to about 
    $650. It is very good coverage. Save Save Save.  :-[
  • #14 by mo-kid on 22 Mar 2018
  • ok, got some figures BBLew; give me an pm...not quite as low as I thought but it is within our budget set up by our Edward Jones person...I'm outta here come mid-july.
  • #15 by Bentley on 23 Mar 2018
  • I am an ex Insurance Agent and I cant find it for less then $700/month and that is a silver plan...It is just out of reach...so if God wants me to live till I am 65 and get Medicare...I guess that is what will happen!
Pages:
Actions