Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 New Models announced  (Read 5791 times)

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
Re: 3 New Models announced
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »

I wonder why they dropped the red paint- that seemed to be part of the signature look of the Rec Tec.

What bothers me about the colors is I like things that match. I bought an RT680 and wanted to buy a mini to replace my traeger jr. Well they discontinued the mini the week I placed my order but everyone said there were making it better and bringing it back. I thought "that's good, I can just buy the new one". Well now it won't match. Sounds like a dumb problem but that's just me. So now I can keep the traeger, or buy the new trailblazer but either way it won't match the 680. I don't see if as reasonable to sell my brand new 680 to buy the bull so it will match. But I might do it because I am crazy that way. I might not though because I think that $600 for the trailblazer is a bit steep. IIRC the mini was $450 when ordered at the same time as a 680 with no extra freight.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »

The Stampede reminds me of the Blaz’n.

Lots of choices now. The 680 with shipping included is essentially $200 cheaper than before. Not a bad deal if you don’t want WiFi.

I wonder how thick the SS body is on these.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

FSUwelder1212

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 09:30:45 PM »

Was really interested in the stampede, but disappointed they went to 2 yr warranty. It looks like the bull has a 6 yr so not sure why the stampede doesn’t have the same. Also it doesn’t look like the fire pot is removable which seems to be almost standard these days. The screen also has me concerned for the longevity of it. I think I need to stop over analyzing and buy a Mak and be done with it.

Ross77

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 10:25:24 PM »

I overanalyzed a lot.  It's a big purchase.  After using the 680 for over a year I don't see the need for a removable fire pot.  Whenever I clean mine out there doesn't seem to be much ash inside.  I think the fan blows most of it out during the cool down cycle. 

Are you referring to the controller screen?  It looks similar to the Memphis screen.  I don't think it will be an issue.

lyork

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 11:57:47 PM »

I’m about the pull the trigger on a pellet grill. I’m willing to pay up for the right one. Thought I was sold on the Fircraft, but it’s 400 series stainless (as are these new red tecs on the external parts, internal is 303 or 304, which is preferred). Went back to the Yoder, but it’s gonna require constant touch up to stay on top of the rust possibly. Right now, it looks like a Blazn Grill..until these rolled out.

Only thing keeping me from one of the new Rec tecs...no open flame searing capabilities! Why not?

Memphis, Yoder, Blazn, Fast Eddy, Firecraft, Louisiana all offer it, but they decide against offering it...boggles my mind

GatorDave

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 05:19:49 AM »

I overanalyzed a lot.  It's a big purchase.  After using the 680 for over a year I don't see the need for a removable fire pot.  Whenever I clean mine out there doesn't seem to be much ash inside.  I think the fan blows most of it out during the cool down cycle. 

Are you referring to the controller screen?  It looks similar to the Memphis screen.  I don't think it will be an issue.

I love the ash dump system in the Camp Chef.  I never thought I would look at that end of the pellet grill market, but that clean out system they have is very attractive to me.  Not having to remove a bunch of stuff to clean out the fire pot is a huge deal.  All it does is keep me paralyzed..lol.  If the Rec Tec or any of the other upper end pits that I have looked at had something similar, I probably would have pulled the trigger by now.

lyork

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 06:04:33 AM »

I love the ash dump system in the Camp Chef.  I never thought I would look at that end of the pellet grill market, but that clean out system they have is very attractive to me.  Not having to remove a bunch of stuff to clean out the fire pot is a huge deal.  All it does is keep me paralyzed..lol.  If the Rec Tec or any of the other upper end pits that I have looked at had something similar, I probably would have pulled the trigger by now.

Blazn Grills has an ash clean out drawer. Quick and easy. Plus it’s Double wall construction, etc. only thing it doesn’t have is a pellet dump, but neither does the Rec Tec

Ralphie

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2018, 06:32:58 AM »

Is it typical to need to dump the ash during a cook?  In the middle of a 10-12 hour low and slow cook?  Or are you talking about afterward with general cleanup? 
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

GatorDave

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2018, 07:02:54 AM »

Is it typical to need to dump the ash during a cook?  In the middle of a 10-12 hour low and slow cook?  Or are you talking about afterward with general cleanup?

The cleanup afterwards.  Having to pull everything apart in order to vacuum out the ashes has always seemed like it would be a pain to me.  While a easy cleanup isn't a deal breaker, it sure is attractive.

Ross77

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2018, 07:57:51 AM »

You have to take everything apart to clean out all the ash in the bottom regardless though.  I clean mine every 5 cooks or so.  There is never very much ash in the fire pot.  Plenty of ash around the fire pot though which is why the removable fire pot wasn't a dealbreaker for me.

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2018, 12:12:23 PM »

FYI - Ray said the new controller will become available for 60 days at the price of $99 to current Rec Tec owners...   once they actually have enough to sell separately from one of the new grills , I don't know that he gave any estimate of when that might be.

I'm one , who never was a big fan of a red grill with horns... I personally think the black and stainless is a big improvement just from an aesthetic perspective.  But at the very least that new stainless body isn't going to bubble any paint if it gets really hot... ( might turn a bit yellowish, but well, that's a different matter ).  I like the new look...  and should be functionally better too.  ( although I'm not sure they've announced exactly how thick the body is )

I've owned a Traeger Junior for years, which is the same size as the RT-340 ( Trailblazer ).  Good size pit for a small family... can easily cook a full packer on one... With WiFi and what is almost certainly a better controller all around than anything Traeger offers in their affordable grills... and considering the shipping is free... I think the RT-340 will sell reasonably well... I know I'd buy one before I bought a similar size Traeger..

Now the of the three new style Rec Tec grills, the one that interests me the most is the RT-590...   I think the octagon shape is likely to make the cooking room inside seem a little larger than if it were your standard 20" diameter barrel shape... I know I personally have been critical of the 20" barrel shape design... and this addresses that issue to some degree...  but most of all, I think that the size / price ( considering the shipping is free ), and WiFi make this an attractive grill for many many people...   I bet this grill will become their biggest seller.

RT-700 - The Bull...   not that much to say here that hasn't been said about the two smaller grills...     I'm still not fond of the 10" barrel shape, but I love the new look and the functionality that the stainless brings in terms of not having paint problems on the body if it should ever get super hot inside.  Not really my cup of tea because of the size and such, but I see it as a better value than the RT-680 was when it was being sold for pretty much the same price after you figured in how much it cost  you to ship them when shipping wasn't 'free'...   I have no doubt at all , that this will be a very big seller and virtually anyone who does buy one will be just as loyal to Rec Tec as they ever where with any of the red grills that have been sold over the years...

One last thing...  Yeah, 6 year warranty on the Bull is a nice offering to those who buy the most expensive of all the Rec Tec grills... but I'll say what I've said all along about 2  year warranties...   Any part that's likely to fail from a truly defective part perspective, will fail in the first 2  years....    Getting warranty work on a part that's more than 6 years old , is really just beyond what is really required in a reasonable warranty...  So, I personally don't see a issue with the 2 year warranties, other than clearly some people have always seen that whole warranty thing as such a big deal about Rec Tec...     Having said that... based on how loyal Rec Tec owners have always been, I highly doubt that Rec Tec would leave a owner out in the cold if one of the parts fail on those grills after the 2 year warranty has passed...  Besides,  you'd have Ray's phone number anyway, you could always call him up like constantly if you were unhappy. :)
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2018, 01:27:02 PM »

I’m about the pull the trigger on a pellet grill. I’m willing to pay up for the right one. Thought I was sold on the Fircraft, but it’s 400 series stainless (as are these new red tecs on the external parts, internal is 303 or 304, which is preferred). Went back to the Yoder, but it’s gonna require constant touch up to stay on top of the rust possibly. Right now, it looks like a Blazn Grill..until these rolled out.

Only thing keeping me from one of the new Rec tecs...no open flame searing capabilities! Why not?

Memphis, Yoder, Blazn, Fast Eddy, Firecraft, Louisiana all offer it, but they decide against offering it...boggles my mind
Open flame is great.  BUT, it can also be a huge hassle if you do mostly low n slow and only occasionally do hot grilling.  Grease fires can be substantial.  I had a DC that had been used for low n slow mostly.  1st time I went hot for grilling it was a blowtorch because all that low n slow drippings was everywhere and once it was hot and flame hit it, woooooff...  If you hot grill all the time it is not an issue as it is constantly burned off in smaller doses.  Just something to keep in mind regardless of brand you go with.

If you want to do searing I can fully recommend the bullseye as a good wood pellet searing station with direct flame to compliment any pellet grill you choose.  I love my 680, but if I lost everything and had to buy again today I would probably go stampede and bullseye.  The stampede is better sized for my low n slow needs and the bullseye is a phenominal griller.  Rectec also porcelin coated the bullseye and tested the it with fires.  The unit is made to take those flareups if you have them, though being hot all the time it is rare.

Soldier17

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2018, 02:23:51 PM »

I agree, I don't really have any ash in the fire pot itself, but rather in the bottom of the grill. Nothing a shop vac can't handle.
Rec Tec RT-680

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2018, 02:35:49 PM »

I agree, I don't really have any ash in the fire pot itself, but rather in the bottom of the grill. Nothing a shop vac can't handle.
Same here.  Honestly it does such a good job emptying the pot that is never has much more than a trace of ash.  I have found I can go much longer between clean-outs on my 680 than I could my previous grill because there is no concern with it not lighting due to ash over the ignitor.  I recall one clean-out I had over an inch of ash covering the entire belly of the grill, but the pot was basically empty.

GatorDave

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2018, 03:53:24 PM »

You have to take everything apart to clean out all the ash in the bottom regardless though.  I clean mine every 5 cooks or so.  There is never very much ash in the fire pot.  Plenty of ash around the fire pot though which is why the removable fire pot wasn't a dealbreaker for me.

Same here.  Honestly it does such a good job emptying the pot that is never has much more than a trace of ash.  I have found I can go much longer between clean-outs on my 680 than I could my previous grill because there is no concern with it not lighting due to ash over the ignitor.  I recall one clean-out I had over an inch of ash covering the entire belly of the grill, but the pot was basically empty.

Wow, I always heard you had to clean the fire pot out after every cook.  It sounds like they need to add a door across the whole bottom of the pits so you can open them and dump the ash.  This would be so much easier than pulling it apart and then vacuuming.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 03:57:02 PM by GatorDave »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up