Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chashub on 01 Feb 2018
  • On Sunday I smoked a 5# chuck roast to 190. Dry rub, naked on the rack. About 6 hours at 230. It was a little dry. Should it come off at a lower temp?
    Charlie 
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Feb 2018
  • I cook them until they feel done like a brisket.
  • #3 by triplebq on 01 Feb 2018
  • I cook them until they feel done like a brisket.

Same for me.
  • #4 by Michael_NW on 02 Feb 2018
  • You could try wrapping to see if you could retain more moisture. Say, take the meat up to 160 IT or so, wrap in foil or butcher paper after spritzing the meat with cider vinegar or broth, and then cook til tender.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Feb 2018
  • Or just put it in a pan with peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, etc once it hits 160°, cover with liquid (stout, beef stock, etc.), cover pan, and cook until it is fork tender to pull apart.  There are recipes out there for pepper stout beef if you need more instruction.  I have only ever made chuck roasts this method and for use as burnt ends.  I never made one to slice like a brisket.
  • #6 by Craig in Indy on 03 Feb 2018
  • I do two hours bare at 185, then put it in a foil boat with onions, garlic, veggies of choice, and about 2-4 oz of beer, seal loosely and put it back on at 300 until you get an IT of about 203-204. Then pull/shred it instead of slicing. It's always worked great for me. It's so good in fact, that it's the only way I prepare the meat for my chili now. Kind of a pain compared to browning in the pot before dumping in the rest of the chili ingredients, but it's *so* worth it.
  • #7 by MysticRhythms on 03 Feb 2018
  • Another vote for pepper stout beef.
    https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=308.msg8295#msg8295

So versatile both in the various ways you can personalize the recipe and what you can do with the finished product.
  • #8 by jdmessner on 03 Feb 2018
  • Following this post with interest. In a few weeks I'm going to be cooking four roasts around 5 lbs. each for beef encheladas. As of now I'm looking to do something along the lines of gtsum2. I made a version of the pepper beef a week or two ago (substituted broth for stout). Good stuff and probably would have been better with the stout!
  • #9 by silverbullet on 03 Feb 2018
  • Do a google search for Poor Mans Burnt ends, Made form a Chuck roast. They are delicious!
Pages:
Actions