Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by silverbullet on 01 Feb 2018
  • Are their any benefits to having a double walled constructed grill? Do they retain heat better? Do they use less pellets?

I'm going to look at a Louisiana Series 800 Elite grill tomorrow. Its a leftover 2017 model that the dealer wants to move out & has a super price on it. Its bigger than what I want or need, (I sold my GMG Jim Bowie because it was to big & I hardly used it) This looks to be a really nice pit with a price that's hard to pass. I was looking at getting the CS450/LG700.
  • #2 by triplebq on 01 Feb 2018
  • Yes a double walled unit should retain heat better thus using less pellets. If you are going through pellets that means you are cooking a lot.
  • #3 by Quadman750 on 02 Feb 2018
  • Yes to all your questions. It will use less pellets in a cold climate & will benefit in long cooks.
  • #4 by ZCZ on 02 Feb 2018
  • Don't know if the pellet consumption chart is still up over at PH.  Or if Bentley still has it.  I know the Memphis Pro (double walled) did well in that category.
    Z
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Feb 2018
  • In addition, I think it comes back to temp faster after opening the lid.  I think it assists in keeping temps more consistent too.
  • #6 by Canadian John on 02 Feb 2018
  •  No" data" here. All I know my Memphis Pro (double walled and larger )  vs my Traeger Lil Tex, heats up and recovers faster, as well as using fewer pellets.

The Pro will get much hotter than the Lil Tex... Any pellet pit will consume more pellets at higher temp settings and/or operating in colder weather.

I couldn't tolerate using the Traeger in the cold so it was Winter stored.. The diffrances between the two is more than a double wall.

I do believe a double walled pit is more efficient - any pit. ..Is the cost worth it? That is a personal choice.

The 800 series isn' t a true 100% double wall...  For a more scientific approach to a double wall pit, look at Cookkshack's comparison between the PG 500 and the PG1000.  Pellet consumption is listed.
  • #7 by DE on 02 Feb 2018
  • I think this picture is better than any words I could come up with!
    This is a Cookshack PG1000

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #8 by DMAXNAZ on 02 Feb 2018
  • I think this picture is better than any words I could come up with!

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Wow
  • #9 by Bentley on 04 Feb 2018
  • This is a true insulated unit.  It is solid core between 2 layers.

I think this picture is better than any words I could come up with!
  • #10 by Canadian John on 05 Feb 2018
  • This is a true insulated unit.  It is solid core between 2 layers. I stand corrected.

I think this picture is better than any words I could come up with!
Pages:
Actions