Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Started a bacon cure, today  (Read 3057 times)

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: Started a bacon cure, today
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2018, 07:06:33 AM »

Boy oh boy that looks really good.

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2018, 12:10:16 AM »

I have vacuum sealed it before. .. however I find it really tricky to get the belly covered with cure in the pouch without making a mess of the inside of the pouch... whẹn the opening of the pouch gets messy,  getting a good seal becomes hard to do.  So, I find wrapping in cellophane to be less difficult

Thanks for the input, LSJ! I was thinking the same thing about vacsealing for the cure; I find it hard enough to keep from making a mess of the zip lock to ensure a good closure. The cellophane does sound like it would be easier to keep tidy and also easy to ensure that all the cure ends up on the meat.

I've got two 10# bellies in the fridge waiting in the wings . . . I think the cellophane method will get a test run with them.
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2018, 08:19:45 AM »

The bacon looks really great Michael_NW. I have a question though and I apologize if it ends up being a dumb one. I see you have a Mak 2 Star just like I do. With the meat already being cured why is it cooked to 150 IT? Couldn't it just be put in the cold smoker section of the Mak and you could smoke for hours and hours to get the smoke you wanted on it without concern of rendering any fat until you sliced it for cooking?
Also has anyone tried making bacon from Berkshire pork belly? Is it worth the extra money?
Thanks for any thoughts people have on the matter.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2018, 01:10:49 AM »

The bacon looks really great Michael_NW. I have a question though and I apologize if it ends up being a dumb one. I see you have a Mak 2 Star just like I do. With the meat already being cured why is it cooked to 150 IT? Couldn't it just be put in the cold smoker section of the Mak and you could smoke for hours and hours to get the smoke you wanted on it without concern of rendering any fat until you sliced it for cooking?
Also has anyone tried making bacon from Berkshire pork belly? Is it worth the extra money?
Thanks for any thoughts people have on the matter.

Hey elenis! Thanks for the comments. My dad once told me there were no dumb questions, just dumb mistakes. It's all good.

I cook the bacon to 145-150 IT simply to pasteurize the meat as insurance - I want to be sure that it's safe to eat. Lots of folks like to cold smoke their cured meats and I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I like the results I get by smoking at 170-180 grill temp. And I'm not concerned with rendering the fat from the belly. Very little of the fat renders out, and I mean very little. I think the bacon would have to get much warmer for there to be an issue with that, but regardless, I haven't experienced it. And as for taste, there is plenty of smoke on that bacon to give it a great flavor at those temps.

So, like pretty much everything BBQ, YMMV according to your tastes and preferences.

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2018, 01:13:33 AM »

Oh, and I haven't  tried a Berkshire belly, or even tried looking for one. I wouldn't know where to find it locally and I just haven't gotten to that point, yet. But I imagine the bacon from a Berkshire would be stellar!

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 01:21:19 AM »

Here's my last bacon smoked this past weekend. I tried using maple sugar to see if any of the maple flavor would translate; but as others have stated before, it pretty much gets washed out by the smoke as it's a very subtle taste. But the taste is still outstanding.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The wife and I had BLTs after work, last night. Such a simple meal, but was still so enjoyable.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 07:36:10 AM »

Great looking end result!!!

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »

Here's my last bacon smoked this past weekend. I tried using maple sugar to see if any of the maple flavor would translate; but as others have stated before, it pretty much gets washed out by the smoke as it's a very subtle taste. But the taste is still outstanding.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The wife and I had BLTs after work, last night. Such a simple meal, but was still so enjoyable.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

A British guy over on Facebook, insists that you can get maple flavor... the way he does his, is he basically does what might be considered double curing... or I suppose aging in the second part...

But anyway , he cures his like you normally would, then rinses that off... and then adds even more maple flavor sugar and that sits and cures for another week, but he never washes that second maple sugar layer off... I haven't tried it , but I suspect it would give some maple flavor.

My problem is that I hate bacon that's got too much sugar on it... and commercial maple flavor bacon always seems to be the way I hate it. The reason I hate it is, that when you fry it you get this really gummy layer of burnt sugar/maple on your frying pan. So I imagine that if you do it like I was just describing, you will get some maple flavor, but you'll also get the typical sticky residue on your frying pan.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2018, 12:12:50 AM »

My problem is that I hate bacon that's got too much sugar on it... and commercial maple flavor bacon always seems to be the way I hate it. The reason I hate it is, that when you fry it you get this really gummy layer of burnt sugar/maple on your frying pan. So I imagine that if you do it like I was just describing, you will get some maple flavor, but you'll also get the typical sticky residue on your frying pan.

Exactly! So it's not just me that deals with having to clean all that caramelized sugar off of my frying pan! I noticed that especially with this last batch since I was trying to get the maple flavor and doubled the sugar from 2% to 4%. I haven't given up, though. But it's not like I'm unhappy with any of the bacon, so far.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 01:46:05 PM »

Yeah, longer, more time consuming...but oven or pit, no curl, no mess...great bacon, and I am going to do a 1lb. BLT right now!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2018, 03:20:02 PM »

12 pounds  smoked this past weekend,  another 11.5 in cure for next weekend

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2018, 01:25:23 AM »

Great looking bellies, LSJ! I picked up two that were barely 1 1/2" each but the flex in them had me thinking there was more meat than fat in them. I'll find out tomorrow night as they go in cure.

My free time is disappearing fast. Spring is always my busiest time at work: the days are longer and once I throw in Saturday, too, there just isn't much time left for anything extra. My cooks drop significantly in number and I can already tell that my time on this forum is much harder to come by. Gotta get the bacon done while I can!

Clonesmoker

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »

Any tips on curing a pork loin?  I did one awhile a year or so ago and it turned out really well, but can't remember really how I did it.  Local grocery chain has pork loins for $1.38/lb. I did use the iSmokeHogs cure app for getting the ratio. I plan on getting at least a 10 lb one and getting it cut into thirds, maple syrup on one section, brown sugar on another, and keeping the other plain.  I don't know how much syrup or brown sugar to use though. Thinking I smoked for a couple of hours at 150 and then let it cool completely (overnight). TIA!!

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 10:45:58 AM »

Any tips on curing a pork loin?  I did one awhile a year or so ago and it turned out really well, but can't remember really how I did it.  Local grocery chain has pork loins for $1.38/lb. I did use the iSmokeHogs cure app for getting the ratio. I plan on getting at least a 10 lb one and getting it cut into thirds, maple syrup on one section, brown sugar on another, and keeping the other plain.  I don't know how much syrup or brown sugar to use though. Thinking I smoked for a couple of hours at 150 and then let it cool completely (overnight). TIA!!

My basic formulation is this...

All of this in relation to the weight of the meat ( and if you had liquids, in relation to liquid weight plus the weight of the meat )

2% salt
1.5% sugar
0.192% Cure #1 (( that yields 120 parts per million added Nitrate, USDA limit/requirement)... 0.25% Cure #1 is a very common amount too, which is about 156 PPM ))
other spices can be added more or less to your own desires...  I start at about 0.5% dry spices, such as pepper, Cayenne, rosemary, etc...   you can make very good bacon with just 0.2% black pepper... anything more is just getting fancy.

Something I've been trying to do recently is to make it all add up to 4% total...  But it's proving to be a little tricky and I'm not sure it's worth it...    with 2% salt, 1.5% sugar, and ~0.2% Cure #1, that totals 3.7%... Leaving 0.3% for spices...    Which can easily be done, but it limits you on how creative you can easily get with spice content...

But let me try and explain why I like the 4% total idea...   first let me be clear on what my formulation would be...

2% Salt
1.5% sugar
0.192% Cure #1
0.308% pepper ( or some combination of dry spices)

So, lets say I have 4000 grams of pork belly...

I mix up 80 grams of salt, 60 grams of sugar, 7.68 grams of cure #1, and 12.32 grams of pepper ( or combination of dry spices).   This all adds up to 160 grams of my personal cure mixture...  I would apply it to pork belly ( or other pork ) at a rate of 4%...   

So, if I cut my pork belly up into hunks, I'd weigh one of the hunks, multiply that weight times 0.04 and I'd know how much of my cure mixture I'd need to apply to that single piece of pork belly...  If it was a 1000 gram piece I'd put 40 grams of my cure mixture in a shaker jar I have, and then begin to sprinkle that cure on the pork... I'd do it as evenly as I could, and I could see how much cure I have left in the shaker, ( because it's clear ) and when I was out of cure in  my shaker, I'd know I had the correct amount of cure on that hunk of pork.   The even number percentage just gives me math that's a little easier to work with... also, if I make my cure consistently at some set percentage, if I have some left over, I can save it for my next cure...    Anyway, this is what I've been doing lately, not sure it's worth the hassle, because with a calculator, i could multiply 0.041 just as easily as I can multiply by 0.040, ( or whatever my total percentage works out to be...  but this should give you an idea of how I go about doing my cure(s).

LowSlowJoe

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 10:52:39 AM »

Yeah, my work doens't get affected that much by nicer weather, but my personal free time tends to find other ways to occupy itself as warm weather starts to settle in.   Once I smoke my 11.5 pounds of bacon this weekend, i'll have a total of about 36 pounds of bacon that I've made and will have vacuum sealed and frozen...  from April to September ( when the weather's relatively nice) I can eat 6 pounds of bacon a month without running out before October when the weather starts to get cool again... :)  Hmm... 1.5 pounds a week... I hope that's enough. :)   Worst come to worse, i could find some time to make more if I really need to.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up