Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: It's a Wrap! for pulled pork  (Read 4765 times)

Michael_NW

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Battle Ground, WA
It's a Wrap! for pulled pork
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:56:03 AM »

I had posted my results of wrapping pork butt in foil vs. butcher paper back in December in order to refine my method. I just wasn't happy with the results prior to that, and while that cook was by far the best pulled pork I had done, there was still room for improvement especially in the bark dept.. So I changed up my pit temp variables, today, and tried it again. The results were awesome, my wife loves the pork, and I'm glad to finally have found a method that appears to be fool-proof (cuz I can be a fool, at times).   :P

Here's what I did:
  • Dry brined two 9 lb pork butts 48 hours prior to cook
  • Applied dry rub (mine was an altered Memphis Dust) 24 hours prior to cook
  • The morning of the cook I applied a thin coat of maple syrup with another light coat of rub
  • The meat went on the smoker at 6:00 am at 225; when they hit an IT of 160 I wrapped one butt in foil and the other in butcher paper, raised pit to 275; this was at 2:00 pm
  • The meat came off the smoker when they probed tender at ~203 IT, rested in an unheated oven for an hour, then pulled
This is the foil butt - lots of juice, tastes wonderful
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
This is the bp butt - lots of juice and flavor, more bark
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Both side by side, foil on the left. You can see the bp pork is darker due to more bark.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

So, it's butcher paper for me and I'm sold on this method. Even though I had used maple syrup for the rub glue I couldn't taste it in the final product so I probably won't do that again. Others with a more sensitive palate might be able to taste it, but not me; I can't tell any difference between different pellet flavors, either. I pulled the butts using tongs - they were soooo tender. After pulling both butts I poured the juices into a fat separator and poured the meat juice back over the meat, though it wasn't necessary from a moisture standpoint it did add quite a bit of flavor.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
MAK 2 Star #2799 Weber Spirit

Craig in Indy

• Using less gas.
Re: It's a Wrap! for pulled pork
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:55:45 AM »

Looks and sounds fantastic. I may have to get me some butcher paper.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 08:04:23 AM »

Very nice experiment. I love when folks do stuff like this and then share results.  Thanks.  And your pork looks great :clap:

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 08:09:59 AM »

Yum
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 10:25:17 AM »

Great looking PP.  Thanks for sharing.  Butcher paper it is for my next PP cook. 

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:36:01 AM »

Excellent post Michael. Good description, start to finish.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 10:46:13 AM »

I will need to use that butchers paper that I bought next time.  Any particular reason why you let the fat separate from your juices and didn't include it in the mix?
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

DMAXNAZ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »

Great comparison.

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 02:07:14 AM »

I will need to use that butchers paper that I bought next time.  Any particular reason why you let the fat separate from your juices and didn't include it in the mix?

None other than I thought there was already plenty of fat and flavor in the pork. Really. When I pulled it with the tongs it almost sounded mushy. After I had added the juice back in to both pulled butts I could see the liquid in the bottom of the pans; that had never happened with my pulled pork cooks before this. My wife raved about the taste - end of discussion!

What was surprising was how well the butcher paper held in the liquid; it was trickier to pour off due to the less stiff nature of the paper, but there was no less liquid in the bp than the foil.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 09:49:47 AM »

Shouldn't a great post like this be in the recipe section under pork?   It would make it easier to locate later, especially for someone not too familiar with the site. :)

Michael_NW

• Battle Ground, WA
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 12:13:17 AM »

If Kristen or Bentley want to move it they can. I meant it as the end to an experiment regarding foil vs butcher paper and trying to find the balance between temp-time-bark, so it's not so much a how-to as it is a look-what-happened.  :pig:  But you're right - I suppose it would make a decent place for someone to start if they are new to pellet cooking or are trying to nail down their method like I was.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 07:39:36 AM »

It would be good to have in the recipe section now that it has spent a few days in general, so I will move to make sure it is always easy to find.

lamrith

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »

Nicely done!

I "foil" mine in a foil lasagna pan with apple juice, but I might try that way soon now that I have butcher paper.

I agree with you on the binder.  I have never used any "binder" on anything I put dry rub on.  Never found a need.  Put the rub on a few hours before cook and then into fridge to keep cold, the natural juices from the meat will do the binding for you.

Thanks for sharing!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2018, 03:10:05 PM »

Very nice color.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 05:05:29 PM »

What was surprising was how well the butcher paper held in the liquid; it was trickier to pour off due to the less stiff nature of the paper, but there was no less liquid in the bp than the foil.

That is why I put the foiled butt in a pan after I pull it off the grill.  I just remove the foil and the juices fall in the pan.  I then pull right in the pan with the juices and mix everything together after throwing a little more rub in with the pulled meat before mixing.  I am too lazy to wait to separate fat and reincorporate.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up