Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ZCZ's Home Brew Rib Recipe  (Read 1476 times)

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
ZCZ's Home Brew Rib Recipe
« on: August 02, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »

Both the rub and the sauce are from scratch and recipes I found online, not original with me.  The nice thing about that is you can add and subtract until you find what you like.  I use this on Baby Back Ribs.  People always love 'em.  Has a nice kick but might be a bit spicy for some.  If so back off on the cayenne and Louisiana hot sauce.

FOR THE RUB
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
Prepare the ribs by removing the membrane from the underside of the ribs.  A paper towel works well for this.  Trim off any loose fat or meat.  Let the ribs warm to room temp before applying the rub.  Season ribs on both sides with the rub about an hour before putting on the grill at 260°

FOR THE SAUCE
2 cups finely chopped onions
2 cloves minced garlic
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Louisiana hot sauce
Mix all of the above ingredients then finally add 2 cups of ketchup.

Bring to medium-high heat then reduce to simmer.

After the ribs have been in the smoke for 3-4 hours start saucing the ribs every 20 minutes until they are ready.  I start on the bone side and apply two coats.  Then I flip the ribs and apply multiple coats to the top surface until they are done.  You can see in the pictures below that the sauce is very thick. Many times I have heard the comment: "These are the best ribs I have ever had."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 12:53:31 AM by ZCZ »
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: ZCZ's Home Brew Rib Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 06:01:56 PM »

And I can attest to that fact that this is award winning stuff!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

ZCZ

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 09:42:02 AM »

And I can attest to that fact that this is award winning stuff!

Not this one, bro.  Will post that one later. This is my method for BB’s that I do at home or for company. My wife prefers this one over my Royal recipe for St Louis ribs. I did use this method at the 2010 Royal, Larry had to do a double-take after the first bite but he said not for a competition like the Royal, not what the judges are looking for there. When I saw him at the 2012 Royal he said: “Oh, you’re the guy who made those good tasting ribs.”  Quite the compliment coming from Larry.
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 05:02:29 PM »

Yeah, we turned mine in and yours were better, neither he nor I had the Cojones to try and see if the judges would have liked the spice!  But TechMoGogy's chicken had a hint of spice in 2015 and the judges slammed him too, so who knows.  And his Chicken that year was a top 5 all time chicken I have ever tasted!

I did use this method at the 2010 Royal, Larry had to do a double-take after the first bite but he said not for a competition like the Royal, not what the judges are looking for there. When I saw him at the 2012 Royal he said: “Oh, you’re the guy who made those good tasting ribs.”  Quite the compliment coming from Larry.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up